Sign in to follow this  

Cortisone injection

Had a cortisone injection in my wrist yesterday for carpal tunnel, was wondering if anyone has had this and how long you waited to ride again , I ride mostly rocky rough trails and fire roads, and tips would help. Thanks

I've not had my hand injected but I have had both knees. I was riding the next day because the pain was gone. But be aware that you can't do to many of those as they are linked to cancer.

I've suffered for years with sore wrists. I had surgery in my left wrist to reattach ligaments and though it gave me trouble for years,my right wrist actually was giving me more trouble. I've been a meat cutter for 40+ years and arthritis, tendonitis work me over. Between work and moto I could never catch a break. I finally gave in to my first cortisone injection last December and although I can't say I went right back to moto, I did go right back to work and I felt great immediately.

I'm back to suffering, but I got 9 splendid moths of relief. I'll make another appointment prior to year end. I can take several months of pain especially knowing relief is around the corner. Good luck with yours.

You have to use caution after the shots. I know people that resumed normal regular high intensity activities and caused more damage because they were pain free. You are not healed, your pain is masked.

• Like 2

You have to use caution after the shots. I know people that resumed normal regular high intensity activities and caused more damage because they were pain free. You are not healed, your pain is masked.

Yup, exactly...

Richard,

I've had lot's of cortisone injections over the years in my shoulder, both elbows, and most recently, right knee for a torn MCL and torn ligaments/tendons and tissue damage in my right elbow. The cortisone will provide immediate pain relief, but the injury is still there. I've never heard of cortisone being linked to cancer, but if you receive "too much" cortisone in a specific joint/area, it can weaken (degrade) the tendons and ligaments to a point where they will rupture and possibly tear or pull loose from the bone.

I recently received cortisone injections in my right MCL and right elbow, the pain relief was immediate. However, in my case.. the injuries are severe and the pain has returned, but I will not allow my Ortho to give me any more cortisone injections as that is not fixing the problem. It only masks the pain, the injury and damaged tissue has to heal on it's own from rest. 

Just my personal experience, and my 2 cents.

Hope you heal up soon.

• Like 1

I have basically destroyed my right elbow from overuse/repetitive stress injury from pitching for many years. Back then (late 70's-early 80's) treatment was heat/ice, whirlpool therapy and as a last resort, cortisone shots in the elbow. I had many over the years, many..... and so far, no ill effect.

Those shots did bring almost immediate relief. I would go from tears in my eyes from the pain to whistling my way out the team Dr's door. The best adive is let it heal and then do some PT exercises to build up the injured area.

I've never heard of a link of cortisone use to cancer, but if you look hard enough, almost anything can be linked to cancer.

• Like 1