Sign in to follow this  

Crf230f torque increase

Just got a 2016 model crf230f. I'm wanting to increase the torque. Anyone have any suggestions for sprocket change? Pros and cons of changing it as well? I'm completely new to riding off road. My style of riding is enduro. Would love to be able to do technical riding like Gram Jarvis but I need more low end torque may have bought the wrong bike but want to make it work. Thanks in advance

If your 230f has already been un - corked and properly jetted:

The biggest bang for the buck is to add compression .

With only one single mod, NOTHING else you ever do to your 230f will make as much difference unless you spend lots more $$$

If that is done then you will be forced to install better tires that come on it from the factory and re-valve the rear shock. (Minimum) fork modifications will be next on your list of must do things.

Otherwise you will crash and crash a lot until you do.

Hum more low end torque. You bought the perfect bike for a new rider and low end torque. Probably you just need to get use to riding it. But if it's lower gearing your after or want to try one tooth on the front smaller is about three on the back bigger.

• Like 1

Also I'm a larger guy. I'm 6' 230 lbs so that may have a little to do with the sluggish feel

If you arent concerned with losing top speed then switching a front sprocket to a tooth smaller would be a really cheap and easy mod. If you really wanted to crawl around you could even go 2 teeth smaller but that would make the bike much slower

If I go down a size in the front will. I have to change the rear sprocket too?or can I leave it alone

NO NO NO, don't spend any money on that shit. I have a 230 and I regret every penny I spent. Once you spend money on it you will spend more because you know if you sold it you will not get your losses back.

Get used to the 230 and once you are bored get a drz400, wr450, crf450 etc. Get a bigger bike, it's cheaper than modding this bike. Everything about it sucks except it's reliable. 

Bad suspension, No power, Heavy chassis. It's a learners bike and it will never be as good as you think it would. Maximum I would spend on it is $100 once you feel you learned how to ride just sell it and get a bigger bike.

I spent $4000 dollars on this bike and I bought it for $2500. If I sell it now max I will get is $3000. I have money so it's not a problem but I feel guilty thinking that I could've sold it and bought a bigger bike. Don't be like me.

• Like 3

You can go down infront and leave the back the same, however i agree with Q47 also, if you want much more out of the bike maybe you would be better off just learning to ride on the 230 and then getting a bigger bike. You can pour money into the 230 but sooner or later you will outgrow it and find yourself wanting more

• Like 1

NO NO NO, don't spend any money on that shit. I have a 230 and I regret every penny I spent. Once you spend money on it you will spend more because you know if you sold it you will not get your losses back.

Get used to the 230 and once you are bored get a drz400, wr450, crf450 etc. Get a bigger bike, it's cheaper than modding this bike. Everything about it sucks except it's reliable. 

Bad suspension, No power, Heavy chassis. It's a learners bike and it will never be as good as you think it would. Maximum I would spend on it is $100 once you feel you learned how to ride just sell it and get a bigger bike.

I spent $4000 dollars on this bike and I bought it for $2500. If I sell it now max I will get is $3000. I have money so it's not a problem but I feel guilty thinking that I could've sold it and bought a bigger bike. Don't be like me.

I disagree. Once you own the WR450 or other you will still want the modified CRF230. They are just fun torquy bikes. Especially well suited for difficult terrian and it makes a newer rider be able to do much tougher stuff due to the torque.

• Like 1

I disagree. Once you own the WR450 or other you will still want the modified CRF230. They are just fun torquy bikes. Especially well suited for difficult terrian and it makes a newer rider be able to do much tougher stuff due to the torque.

The only reason my or your crf is torquy is because they are modified. A bone stock wr450 has more torque in the entire rev range than a fully modified  crf230. I know it's like comparing apples and oranges. crf230 is a begginers bike, when stock it's only useful for learning and laid back riding. If he wants more torque and more power it's better if he saves his pennies and gets a bigger bike. If he wants a small easy learner's bike he should keep it and live with how lacking it is. Even if he modified the engine the suspension needs upgrading too. What he will end up with is crf230 that isn't a crf230 because nearly all the parts have been swapped. That's my opinion and I strongly believe in it.

EDIT: he doesn't have to go to the 450 straigh, he can get a wr250 which stock has more power than spending $1000 on a crf230. Adjustable forks, fuel injection and all the good stuff.

Edited by Q47
  • Like 2

The only reason my or your crf is torquy is because they are modified. A bone stock wr450 has more torque in the entire rev range than a fully modified crf230. I know it's like comparing apples and oranges. crf230 is a begginers bike, when stock it's only useful for learning and laid back riding. If he wants more torque and more power it's better if he saves his pennies and gets a bigger bike. If he wants a small easy learner's bike he should keep it and live with how lacking it is. Even if he modified the engine the suspension needs upgrading too. What he will end up with is crf230 that isn't a crf230 because nearly all the parts have been swapped. That's my opinion and I strongly believe in it.

There is one place the CRF230 shines and that is in all out off ldle torque. It may have more than both of my 450's put together. They shine on real difficult slippery snotty sh---y trails. It really depends on where you ride. I think a lot of people ride on easy marked trails some of us do the nasties and I believe that's where they shine. Big time.

But they must have decent suspension and some mods. Not completely stock. But a completely stock WR doesn't work either.

Edited by stevethe
  • Like 1

Sour grapes?

Sounds like you did all that to a Harley also. (Like many others)

Having a bad day Im thinking? If your on the street all the time, I see your point. Duh.... It's not a street bike any way... I mean really? You built it to make $$?

Dirt bike only? IMO:

It's really designed as a dirt only bike)

In that case:

So your sleeper 230 didn't turn out the way you wanted?

With any type of skills, you should be spanking all those "BIGGER" bikes by now and be completely amazed about your "little" sleeper bike that provides you with huge smiles every time your ride it.

It should also have people scratching their heads and wanting to ask a lot of questions but don't know how to go about it.

Instead of going on about how much money you blew on it, get some skills and make them "try" to pass you instead.

It will fry them when they can't. And that is worth every penny.

Edited by adnohguy

There is one place the CRF230 shines and that is in all out off ldle torque. It may have more than both of my 450's put together. They shine on real difficult slippery snotty sh---y trails. It really depends on where you ride. I think a lot of people ride on easy marked trails some of us do the nasties and I believe that's where they shine. Big time.

But they must have decent suspension and some mods. Not completely stock. But a completely stock WR doesn't work either.

It's probably the heavy flywheel and the heavy crank shaft on those things that gives the illusion of torque. A completly stock wr250 or 450 kill a stock 230 from the engine to suspension to everything, no comparison dude. My modified crf230m has about 27 hp and in a drag race with a stock 250 i was ahead of him by 1 bike. I am light so that's probably the reason. crf230 is a begginers bike and he shouldn't try to spend money on it to make it something else. Especially if he want's to ride like Gram Jarvis.

Sour grapes?

Sounds like you did all that to a Harley also. (Like many others)

Having a bad day Im thinking? If your on the street all the time, I see your point. Duh.... It's not a street bike any way... I mean really? You built it to make $$?

Dirt bike only? IMO:

It's really designed as a dirt only bike)

In that case:

So your sleeper 230 didn't turn out the way you wanted?

With any type of skills, you should be spanking all those "BIGGER" bikes by now and be completely amazed about your "little" sleeper bike that provides you with huge smiles every time your ride it.

It should also have people scratching their heads and wanting to ask a lot of questions but don't know how to go about it.

Instead of going on about how much money you blew on it, get some skills and make them "try" to pass you instead.

It will fry them when they can't. And that is worth every penny.

I am in a love/hate relationship with the bike. It's heaps of fun but it needs you to throw a bunch of parts on it to become fun. A stock crf230 is honestly has one of the worst handling and performance of any bike I rode. If he wants to spend 2000+ on it and make it do what he wants then it's his choice. There are so many good dirt bikes that do almost everything better at a more cost effective way. I think you didn't ride a stock 230 in a long time you forgot how it is. 

crf230 + 2000 = cool

stock 250 = just as cool

his money his choice

• Like 1

I am in a love/hate relationship with the bike. It's heaps of fun but it needs you to throw a bunch of parts on it to become fun. A stock crf230 is honestly has one of the worst handling and performance of any bike I rode. If he wants to spend 2000+ on it and make it do what he wants then it's his choice. There are so many good dirt bikes that do almost everything better at a more cost effective way. I think you didn't ride a stock 230 in a long time you forgot how it is. 

crf230 + 2000 = cool

stock 250 = just as cool

his money his choice

I've been at this longer than I like to admit. But I don't have any illusions of torque. Your racing for top end. That's not where these bikes shine.

I own mine to punish 450's and 500's on some of the most extreme difficult trails that we have made.

I'll say it again the CRF's shine on very difficult terrian. Especially in the hands of a newer rider.

• Like 1

Hum do you even ride dirt?

I wouldn't and didn't exactly pick a CRF for supermoto??? That's a little bit of a strange pick but oh well.

• Like 1

Hum do you even ride dirt?

I wouldn't and didn't exactly pick a CRF for supermoto??? That's a little bit of a strange pick but oh well.

Haha yeah it's pretty odd, people think that I am riding a dr650 all the time especially with the stock headlight and they get surprised when they know that a crf230 can be this powerful(relatively speaking). I switch wheels to non dot 21 inch front wheel and a 17 inch off road rear wheel to off-road.

Edited by Q47

Haha yeah it's pretty odd, people think that I am riding a dr650 all the time especially with the stock headlight and they get surprised when they know that a crf230 can be this powerful(relatively speaking). I switch wheels to non dot 21 inch front wheel and a 17 inch off road rear wheel to off-road.

If I'm not mistaken?:

10 minutes ago you stated dr 400 now its like dr 650?

• Like 1