Sign in to follow this  

BETA 300RR Dirt Bike Mag cover and great review

yup

Idk... typical Hawaii. I get everything late. .. not on the shelves or in my mailbox. I never get dirt mags in time.. always way later than everywhere else. At least theres the internet. ..but we all know these bikes are good.. hope it's a decent review 

It's good.

IMG_56671_zps74t7hwdl.jpg

Not going to post the articles, since it's not public domain yet (not on DB's website).

Suffice to say they liked it alot, and and the same 'issues' as previously, but less so.

Edited by KRANNIE
  • Like 2

any chance you can scan it and email me a copy? Cannot get it in OZ and really close to pulling the trigger on one of these. Hard to get hold of any real reviews!! Thanks

I buy Dirt Bike locally around the 3rd week of each month. So I've been waiting for the December issue which I might get tomorrow. I had to scroll really fast through this post to not ruin one of my little pleasures - teehee

Anyway I've got every hard copy issue from Nov 2015 back about year and a half (I usually give them the old ones to my local dirt bike shop).

If someone wants to interact me the cost of shipping I'll send them anywhere in the world.

There are some well-known (and very easy) fixes to what Dirt Bike was complaining about. 

This was, like many, almost a regurgitation of the press kit material. No mention of power-valve adjustability and it's effect on power delivery, no comment on the easy availability of FMF shorty silencers or ProCircuit pipes, no comment on the adjustability of the suspension and it's effect on handling etc.

Dirtbiketest.com is more thorough than either Dirt Bike Magazine or Dirt Rider. Nice pics though.

• Like 2

There are some well-known (and very easy) fixes to what Dirt Bike was complaining about. 

This was, like many, almost a regurgitation of the press kit material. No mention of power-valve adjustability and it's effect on power delivery, no comment on the easy availability of FMF shorty silencers or ProCircuit pipes, no comment on the adjustability of the suspension and it's effect on handling etc.

Dirtbiketest.com is more thorough than either Dirt Bike Magazine or Dirt Rider. Nice pics though.

The DB test was just the BETA introductory ride event, not a real test.

There is a certain amount of "reading between the lines" on all the reviews. Where did they ride? who was the tester? did the test just paraphrase the press release? what's the terrain look like in the pics?  etc etc.   Back in the day of converting mx bikes offtoad, a last place shoot out bike ( soft power, soft suspension) often made the best trail bike.

• Like 2

They did mention adjusting suspension settings.  Stiffer, stiffer, and then dialed it back.  Allowing the final test rider to test their "best" settings.   Which they mentioned were pretty decent.    The sachs setup really does not have any real praise written about it anywhere.    But being realistic, you could throw a set of Monroe shocks on the thing and I probably wouldn't notice.   I think overall the review was fair and positive.  PS... I havent ridden a Beta yet, but Im looking to buy a 300

Edit: The review I read was the dirt rider one with the 250RR

Edited by BAD ASS TA WS6

I just got a '16 250RR.  I'm very light and moderate speed in woods single track.  I could barely ride the thing with stock suspension it was so stiff.  The upside is that the suspension is conventional and very easy to tune.  All I did was install lighter springs, lighter fork oil, and play with the clickers and I'm a happy camper.  The bike feels more nimble than my 200XCW in spite of the additional weight.  The chassis is slim and compact with stock set-up.  The motor is utterly amazing.  How they get such a fine tune out of the box I can't figure out.  Nice components and she is a looker.

• Like 1

I just got a '16 250RR. I'm very light and moderate speed in woods single track. I could barely ride the thing with stock suspension it was so stiff. The upside is that the suspension is conventional and very easy to tune. All I did was install lighter springs, lighter fork oil, and play with the clickers and I'm a happy camper. The bike feels more nimble than my 200XCW in spite of the additional weight. The chassis is slim and compact with stock set-up. The motor is utterly amazing. How they get such a fine tune out of the box I can't figure out. Nice components and she is a looker.

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you weigh? Reason I ask is it's not often people have issues with the Sachs being too stiff, usually the other way around.

150lb in street clothes.  160 maybe a little more in gear.  It also has a lot to do with my speed and trail conditions.  My average speed over the last 4000 miles is 16 mph (miles/hour meter).  90% woods and mountain single and quad tracks.  I also stand most of the time.

• Like 1

I weigh 150 lbs dry and find the forks to be plenty firm enough and the shock to be way too stiff on my '16 Beta 300RR.  I will wait until the suspension 'breaks in' before making any changes.

• Like 2

150lb in street clothes. 160 maybe a little more in gear. It also has a lot to do with my speed and trail conditions. My average speed over the last 4000 miles is 16 mph (miles/hour meter). 90% woods and mountain single and quad tracks. I also stand most of the time.

Gotcha was just curious, that makes sense. Am I understanding that you already have 4,000 miles on your 2016?? Lol if that's not a typo that's insane.

I weigh 150 lbs dry and find the forks to be plenty firm enough and the shock to be way too stiff on my '16 Beta 300RR. I will wait until the suspension 'breaks in' before making any changes.

That's exactly what I'm planning to do, I've resisted playing with the clickers until the suspension breaks in. Plus I'm planning on sending my forks and shock to Stillwell over the winter so it'll be completely different after that anyway, hopefully for the better. I'm 210-212lbs with gear on so right over the edge of the factory springs.

Ha,ha.  No, that was on my previous bike.  My 250RR now has a grand total of 60 miles...  Lot's of rain in the PNW recently.

I had great success with basic changes in my garage (oil weight, springs, adjust the clickers).  I just read all the classic tuning guides online and did exactly what you normally do, no magic.  You have to be realistic about your needs.  If you're a lightweight C rider like me, you don't tune for a heavyweight AA racer, unless you want to suffer.

I'm now super happy with my new Beta.

• Like 1

Gotcha was just curious, that makes sense. Am I understanding that you already have 4,000 miles on your 2016?? Lol if that's not a typo that's insane.

That's exactly what I'm planning to do, I've resisted playing with the clickers until the suspension breaks in. Plus I'm planning on sending my forks and shock to Stillwell over the winter so it'll be completely different after that anyway, hopefully for the better. I'm 210-212lbs with gear on so right over the edge of the factory springs.

You're actually just past the edge on factory springs - you should notice real improvement just by getting the correct rates and reducing the preload on the springs. We've got decent tunings on the OC Sachs, and can't wait until the Sachs CCs arrive.

• Like 1