Sign in to follow this  

Need some serious help! Carb and fuel lines

Straight noob here. Please only give helpful and positive feedback.

-2000 Suzuki RM100

So long story short I acquired this dirt bike and have been trying to fix it up. I have never owned a dirt bike before and I am doing all the repairs myself. I rebuilt the carb and did a whole bunch of other stuff and now I am trying to reinstall the carb and hook up all the lines (Fuel, overflow, vacuum, etc...) but I do not know where any of them go. I have looked all over the internet trying to find out where they go and have had no luck. Please if some could help me out by telling me where to plug what line and where on the carb. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and I know I should have taken pictures before tearing this bike apart but I didn't and this problem is blowing my mind. 

This is a line coming off the radiator

IMG_0581.jpg

This is a line coming from the Engine. I think it's vacuum line

IMG_0582.jpg

This is my carb with the connections but I do not know which hose to connect where

IMG_0583.jpg

Another shot of the carb

IMG_0584.jpg

Edited by JMO18

First pic image 0581:

That is the radiator overflow hose, it just has to be zip-tied along the frame pointing towards the ground, doesn't plug anywhere.

In the event you engine overheats the expanding coolant is expelled out of the radiator onto the ground.

Second pic image 0582:

That appears to be the gearbox breather hose, it vents out any pressure build-up in the transmission to avoid damaging seals.

That too is simply to be routed towards the ground, usualy exits between the rear of the engine and the swing arm.

Edited by mlatour

Third pic, image 0583

You can see two hose 'fittings' on the carburator, a top and a lower one. As an educated guess I would say:

The top one is an overflow / vent, again you simply route a line towards the ground, in the event of a tip-over

that would drain out excess fuel in the float bowl to prevent flooding the engine.

The bottom one should be the carburator's fuel inlet, you connect the fuel line from the gas tank's petcock to it.

What seems odd to me, if that is the fuel inlet it is located on the RH side of the carb which isn't very common.

Fourth pic, image 0584,

can't see anywhere else to plug lines that wasn't previously mentionned above.

Edited by mlatour

Picture three shows carb inlet for fuel (lower) and carb breather for air (upper)

One goes to the fuel tank, and the other gets routed up under the tank and connects to nothing.

The other pics are not relavant

It worries me that you 'rebuilt' a carb without understanding virtually anything about motorcycles or engines.

I would have someone with experience take a look at your work for fear of starting a fire or causing injury, BEORE you start or ride the bike.

+1 on KRANNIE's safety and ability concerns.

As an observation I'd say for a newly rebuilt carb it's exterior is pretty damn filthy,

rebuilding a carb will require more meticulous workmanship from you than that.

Edited by mlatour

I really appreciate all of the help and you are right, I should have someone look at the carb and make sure i did everything correctly. It's a big learning curve.

I really appreciate all of the help and you are right, I should have someone look at the carb and make sure i did everything correctly. It's a big learning curve.

You can download a service manual from the interweb, possibly even Suzuki's site.

Reading up on the basics is essential.