Sign in to follow this  

Talk me out of a '15 300XCW

Started just about 7-8 years ago on a RM250.  Quite possibly the WORST possible first bike ever.  God awful, lightswitch power band and, being an MX bike, TERRIBLE for trails (which is all I ride).

Bought a brand new '08 250 XCF-W and eventually did big bore, cam and P/P heads, exhaust, etc.  Had the forks/shock revalved for me by Dick's.  Absolutely love that bike.  It is getting buried with me.  However, the inevitable maintenance things are starting to come up (fork seals, batteries, chains, etc).  I am convinced that it is FAR less maintenance than, say, a Honda, but still.  It's a 7 year old bike that has been beat to hell and back.  I think it's time to retire it as my backup bike.

There's a new '15 Beta 300RR Race Edition near me for $7800 and a new '15 300XCW for $7600 a little further away.  Having a hard time straying from KTM.  After fees, they cost the same.

Any particular reason I should NOT go with my intuition and stick with KTM?

• Like 1

My next bike will be a Beta.  Seems like the better overall package for a 300.  I haven't ridden one yet but I was impressed with what I saw at the dealer, very well thought out bikes.  Next year with the new KTM platform it might be a harder choice.

• Like 1

Started just about 7-8 years ago on a RM250.  Quite possibly the WORST possible first bike ever.  God awful, lightswitch power band and, being an MX bike, TERRIBLE for trails (which is all I ride).

Bought a brand new '08 250 XCF-W and eventually did big bore, cam and P/P heads, exhaust, etc.  Had the forks/shock revalved for me by Dick's.  Absolutely love that bike.  It is getting buried with me.  However, the inevitable maintenance things are starting to come up (fork seals, batteries, chains, etc).  I am convinced that it is FAR less maintenance than, say, a Honda, but still.  It's a 7 year old bike that has been beat to hell and back.  I think it's time to retire it as my backup bike.

There's a new '15 Beta 300RR Race Edition near me for $7800 and a new '15 300XCW for $7600 a little further away.  Having a hard time straying from KTM.  After fees, they cost the same.

Any particular reason I should NOT go with my intuition and stick with KTM?

Beta suspension needs a lot more work.  

You probably already have a ton of extra KTM parts that will bolt right onto your new bike/ you can pillage and interchange a lot of parts between the two if you're in a pinch.  

KTM's are easier to work on....especially the 2T's

I have a 12' xcw (which is the same bike) and its awesome

Betas are KTM clones anyways

.....That's all I got for now

• Like 1

Any particular things stand out to you?

E-start location and from what I hear it is reliable, KTM is still questionable. (I have not had problems on the 2014+ design though)

The exhaust is tucked up above the bottom of the frame rails

Exhaust mounts are much beefier than KTM.  This is something commonly broke on KTM 2-strokes.

Linkage is tucked up better

Beta suspension seems to be well liked.

Race Edition comes with some nice bling, but not necessary

Bike was very slim, first thing I noticed.

Only downside to the 2015 Beta Race Edition is the Marzocchi fork, only because the Marzocchi's future is uncertain.  Not sure how it will effect parts availability.  2016 Race Edition comes with a new Beta/Sachs collaboration fork.

Beta is far from a KTM clone, but they did use the old KTM RFS motor years ago on their 4-strokes.  The Beta did not look anymore difficult to work on, all 2-strokes with steel chassis are very accessible.

Don't get me wrong the KTM is fine.  The XCW has well liked OC forks, not the 4CS crap that is giving people fits on the other model ranges.  E-start seems to have been resolved as well as the stuck throttle issue.  I would just encourage you to look at both bikes if you can.  Personally my 2014 KTM 300 has not held up as well as my old 2006 that was well used.

• Like 4

food 4 thought , My 16 xcw  300 was down on power from my 09 300, compression on 09 -165, 16 -150, added S3 head and now 190. and power is stronger than ever. without the head it was disappointing. The new ergonomics are better than any year. 16 changed the offset and front axle.

• Like 1

I rode a 14 beta 300rr and really liked it. I would be torn between the 2 but would probably lean towards the Beta. Not that the ktm is bad but just want to try something different.

• Like 2

Friend of mine made the same sort of comment when the current administration won the first time...hmmm...

Either bike will set you on course for further adjustments as both will be very different from what you're accustomed to & need to be dialed according to your weight, style, etc. I seem to opt for as much familiarity as possible & would likely stick with the KTM. Having said that, you'll be hard pressed to find a dis-satisfied Beta rider that has transitioned from KTM. Almost all are extremely happy riders. As already mentioned above, I would target a Beta with the newer Sachs suspension. Just for reference here's what's just come up for sale in my area. I should own this already  :smirk:

http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/5317316469.html

• Like 2

Here you go :)  I'd personally go KTM... but both are top notch bikes.

Edited by MistrRoboto
  • Like 3

I'm leaning towards the KTM just because you "know" that you will at least like the bike.  I personally have 3 KTM dealerships within 1 hour of my house (and Lake Cycle is awesome), the nearest Beta dealer is 3 hours away... 

I may try a Beta someday but for now I'd stick with the KTM.

I'm in the opposite boat.  The Beta is 1hr away, the KTM is 3.  But I have ridden a 300xc. 

A couple things that are intriguing me are the two "knocks" that I've seen against the Beta.  They say the Beta is "small" and not good for taller riders.  For me, as a short rider, that's a plus.  The other "knock" is that the suspension is too soft for occasional MX use.  Again, fine by me.  I only ride trails.  And being lighter, perhaps the "soft" springs would be better suited to my weight.  

Also, I do like a few of the little things like billet triples on the Beta (vs cast KTM), billet foot pegs (have some on the old KTM and there's NO other way to go), and in speaking with the dealer a bit ago, getting it plated is as simple as showing proof of insurance.  With the KTM, I'd have to buy a tail light, mirror and sweet talk the DMV.  With the Beta, the dealer is guaranteeing a plate with zero effort on my part.  

So tempting. 

Edited by freebird_78
  • Like 2

I'm in the opposite boat.  The Beta is 1hr away, the KTM is 3.  But I have ridden a 300xc. 

A couple things that are intriguing me are the two "knocks" that I've seen against the Beta.  They say the Beta is "small" and not good for taller riders.  For me, as a short rider, that's a plus.  The other "knock" is that the suspension is too soft for occasional MX use.  Again, fine by me.  I only ride trails.  And being lighter, perhaps the "soft" springs would be better suited to my weight.  

Also, I do like a few of the little things like billet triples on the Beta (vs cast KTM), billet foot pegs (have some on the old KTM and there's NO other way to go), and in speaking with the dealer a bit ago, getting it plated is as simple as showing proof of insurance.  With the KTM, I'd have to buy a tail light, mirror and sweet talk the DMV.  With the Beta, the dealer is guaranteeing a plate with zero effort on my part.  

So tempting. 

Kind of sounds like you just talked yourself into buying the Beta!  :thumbsup:

• Like 3

So tempting. 

The 250/300RR have a lot of nice features, which include OEM high/low beam headlight, horn, rear running & brake lights, wiring & connectors for turn signals, DOT knobbies, etc.

Edited by Chas_M

My next bikes going to be the Beta 300RR. Not that there's anything wrong with my '15 300-EXC 6 Days it's just that I like the idea of oil injection (no mixing premix) & something different.

• Like 2

My next bikes going to be the Beta 300RR. Not that there's anything wrong with my '15 300-EXC 6 Days it's just that I like the idea of oil injection (no mixing premix) & something different.

That's the exact reason I wouldn't go with the Beta.  I don't need the extra weight of carrying around some oil.  Personal preference I suppose.   

• Like 1

Well, just got back from riding the 300rr.  Man what a nice bike.  Love the lightness and the grunt, and like others have said, the little features.  Hate the color though.   :lol:

Gonna sleep on it and decide one way or the other tomorrow.  

Edited by freebird_78

Just remember that the Beta is down on power at the top end.  It is designed for the all day lugger and if that's you perfect.  I personally wouldn't get the Beta because I can buy all my parts on Rocky Mountain ATV/MC for my KTM and the suspension is a little better and more commonly known for tuning. The Beta is a great bike, but I like the customization options, availability of parts, and more versatile suspension and motor.  You may not care about any of these things though. 

Husk 300 2016 for 8200 at Beaver Creek sales, no dock or assembly fee. Its got KTM tech and Husk technoligy

Beta still several years out on parts availability. Gorgeous bike and great woods. Maybe they only allow so many people to have parts, not sure why corp would do this but to control price