Sign in to follow this  

to Hone or not to Hone? that is the Question.

I'm getting Ready to installed a Wiseco piston kit (std bore) & Pro X gasket set  in my 2015 YZ 250 2 smoke,the bike has about 20-25 hours on her & I want to keep Everything Fresh, NOW I been out of the loop for 28 years, But back in the Day we never Honed our Cylinders just slammed in a New Rings &/or Piston, Since the Hours are so low on my 2 Smoke the Cylinder should be in Good shape in theory I'll know more once I tear her Down, my Question is Do any of you Guys Hone the cylinder everytime you Freshen up or just if you feel it needs it? Sorry as I said just got Back into MX last April,  I got the 2 smoke in July before that I was Riding my 2011 YZ 250F Which I plan to freshen up Before Spring as well, thanks for any positive advice.

snarky Remarks will be ignored/ :goofy:

Edited by HURRICANE HUBBARD

Clean with a scotchbrite, wash. Wipe with a clean rag and atf. Repeat until the clean rag stays clean. Wash again and assemble.

Similar process for me as well.

The Scotchbrite helps deglaze the plating on the cyl.

Edited by MJP68

guy at my local machine shop said my cylinder just needed a "hone"  this is what the piston looked like after 8 tanks. I'm going to send it to Ken Oconner for a replate.

1107151417b.jpg

Edited by yz250474

guy at my local machine shop said my cylinder just needed a "hone"  this is what the piston looked like after 8 tanks. I'm going to send it to Ken Oconner for a replate.

WOW, was that after you had the cylinder Honed?

The above photo can tell you about your jetting as you know.

The excessive carbon build up resulted in the lower ring getting stuck and not doing its job. That's why you see all that blowby.

Jetting could too rich or timing is too retarded or its cheap oil..?

Write down the jetting and check to see it right.

Check your squish

Check your new piston rings gaps are to spec

Check timing

Dont hone it , use scotch brite pad as per William above.

If should never need a hone near it , when its worn it needs replating.   

• Like 1

Dont hone it , use scotch brite pad as per William above.

If should never need a hone near it , when its worn it needs replating.

yeah, that's kinda what I've been finding out thru reseach, this Dude said the samething-->

• Like 1

WOW, was that after you had the cylinder Honed?

Yes.  

I think the crank seal on the clutch side was letting oil in... not sure if it would cause the piston to look like that.

the manual says nothing about honin

yeah, that's kinda what I've been finding out thru reseach, this Dude said the samething-->

if I remember correctly that's what Yamaha says in the manual..

I didn't know that til after tho. :(

Edited by yz250474

the manual says nothing about honin

if I remember correctly that's what Yamaha says in the manual..

I didn't know that til after tho. :(

a Local Yamaha Dealer is still telling me Honing don't Hurt Nikasil cylinders..BULLSH*t! THIS ISN'T 1976 all the crap isn't necessary because all that ole skool stuff was cast iron, like the older machinist Dude said in the Video I Posted Less is more, I trust that opinion.

Yes.  

I think the crank seal on the clutch side was letting oil in... not sure if it would cause the piston to look like that.

I think you had piston slap causing it due to the Honing, just my opinion now that I'm up to date on this newer Engine stuff.

I think you had piston slap causing it due to the Honing, just my opinion now that I'm up to date on this newer Engine stuff.

the engine was making a lot of noise when I bought it, which was why I took it apart to begin with.... anyway I got my new piston today I decided to try pro x, I hear nothing but good but not much. I have the Wiseco that came out the bike when I bought it to compare it to.... I can see some differences...  

1. the ring position

2. the intake port, the pro x piston has an angle on it... the Wiseco is straight.  (hard to explain, I will try to get a good picture) maybe someone can explain?

3. the dome........... Im no expert at all but from looking at it it seems the domes are a bit different... wouldn't that change your squish?      in other words, would it be a waste to have your head cut to set squish with certain piston if you are going to change to a different brand?

a Local Yamaha Dealer is still telling me Honing don't Hurt Nikasil cylinders..BULLSH*t! THIS ISN'T 1976 all the crap isn't necessary because all that ole skool stuff was cast iron, like the older machinist Dude said in the Video I Posted Less is more, I trust that opinion.

yeah they dont know sqit. I took my cylinder there to see what they said caused it, he said I could of saved the cylinder if I installed new rings earlier, to bore it out and buy a piston to fit..... I just walked away... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPnsouKN3Gk  I just knew it didn't sound right.

I took it to this Yamaha dealer after he honed it to have them measure it, they said run a standard piston which I did, the piston I showed you was a new one.

Edited by yz250474

Next time you have the right side case off grab the bolt on the end of the crank that holds the gears on. Try to move/wiggle it up and down. Any movement at all and you should do bearings, that is usually what causes a seal to go bad. My bike sounded like yours and when I did crank bearings it was very quiet.