Sign in to follow this  

California Vasquez Canyon closed for a while

bulges in the road huh.. get ready for an earthquake.

or one of them Tremors worm thingies eating people

Edited by msgtretired

The Road folks are saying its from the big rain in October.  The porous rocks and dirt in the area soaked it up and it now a slow landslide.   They say it will be closed for a long time.  A guess is until it stops moving.

haha thanks Wes :p but no, I don't really have much of an idea.  They said "landslide"..masswasting..i understand this but to me it doesn't make sense because what mass wasting even would cause ripples like that or what looks to be like "shrinkage".  If you think about it like one of those hoses that stretches out when it expands because of the water and then retracts when there is no more water, that's what I'm thinking of.  SOmeone had mentioned "the rains in October".  Well, if that area is porus like someone said or even has clay in it and it got saturated with water and then dried up then I could see this happening.  Potentially.  The ripples really gets one to think though.  Or, if it's cold out there which I highly doubt it'd be that cold within the ground in order for those to ripple like that in a day, then frost heaves?  Mass wasting doesn't seem right because it would cause things to slide down slope - not ripple.  What causes a ripple effect like that?  Flowing water as you can see when the tide goes out however, these were formed overnight.  So...what most are saying as earthquake could be true.  Maybe it was a very deep one, one that you could barely feel at surface, one that seismics may not even pick up.  If there was a lot of rain it could have washed out a bunch of sediment (erosion) - maybe because youwould also think that if there was sediment loss that potholes would have formed.  But anyway, then a deep earthquake occurs and shakes sediment around and causes it to settle...so that could cause your mass wasting event caused by an earthquake.  I honestly wouldn't have any idea unless I was out there researching it.  I would LOVE to be out there looking at it and trying to figure it out haha.  

Hopefully I didn't spout off too much..this is what happens when you get my brain going.  I could be completely wrong too and I'm OK with that, that's the awesome part about science...hypotheses and theories until proven.  :) RESEARCH!!! 

Now I'm going to go search the internet.

• Like 1

ahhh yes, landslide...(mass wasting).  i guess it decided to go under the pavement rather than over...i still find it interesting it buckled the pavement idk why..but having it be uniform like that is what interests me I suppose...you'd think it would just thrust up one area and not every other area..if that makes sense..either way, thanks for sharing this!  You def just got my rocks off :)  -the girl version of course-

Edited by Crispy_Fruit_Loop
  • Like 2

ahhh yes, landslide...(mass wasting).  i guess it decided to go under the pavement rather than over...i still find it interesting it buckled the pavement idk why..but having it be uniform like that is what interests me I suppose...you'd think it would just thrust up one area and not every other area..if that makes sense..either way, thanks for sharing this!  You def just got my rocks off :)  -the girl version of course-

:thumbsup:

glad you busted a overy!

• Like 1

I was thinking that this road is very old and has gone through several extremely heavy rainy seasons without anything like this happening as a result. While the rains in October were heavy in some areas I doubt they approached the saturation levels the road has experienced in the past. As crispy said the buckling seems out of place for a landslide. Does the slope above the road show evidence of movement?