Prospective Husky Convert

I currently ride a 2007 CRF250X and am considering switching to a 2-smoker. I'm looking for a trail bike with similar power to my X. I am 6'-2", 220 lbs, 37 years old and have been riding for only two years. I would consider myself an advanced beginner at this point. What Husky model(s) would be best for someone of my experience and stature that is designed for trail riding? I'm looking to buy used. The WR250 sounds about right.  Looks like the TE250 has electric start as well as kickstart, which would be nice, but isn't the TE a dual sport?  And in general, are the Huskys designed for a larger rider?  Meaning taller than 5'-6" and heavier than 160 lbs?

Edited by mossman77

Not sure if you know but the current Husky's are made by KTM. The former Husqvarnas were made in Italy. The current (KTM) 2 stroke Husky enduro bikes are designated TE. The former (Italian) husky 2 stroke were designated WR. Both the new (KTM) and the old (Italy) Husqvarnas are good solid bikes. In terms of power I would think a 250 2 stroke would be to your liking. A lot depends on how and where you ride. Are you a revver or a tourqer? Tight trails or more wide open? Just to give you one more option in the used 2 stroke market there is also the Husaberg TE model. Another bike that is basically a KTM with some minor differences.

I ride mostly tight single track and hardly get out of 2nd gear, so I would want something with more bottom end. Glad to hear they are owned by KTM because that means parts availability and cost shouldn't be an issue (right?). A bike that's easy to work on and doesn't require a bunch of specialty bike-specific tools would be a bonus too. Also, being able to remove the carb without disassembling half the bike would be nice.

The blue rims on the Husaberg TE250 may be a deal breaker. I'm picky like that.

When I search Husqvarna TE250, I'm seeing black/red/white versions and yellow/blue/white versions, some with plates and mirrors others without. I'm confused. I want a 2-stroke 250cc trail bike, electric and kickstart, no plate, no mirrors. Which models fit this description? Something in the 230lb range (wet) would also be a plus.

Edited by mossman77

From what little I've read, the TE series is Husqvarna's dual sport line, have four stroke motors and a lower seat height. Not what I'm looking for. I think the WR250 is more what I was thinking. The 2012 year sounds like a contender.

2012 is a red Husky and has nothing to do with KTM. They are good bikes but part's are sill a pain.

Most short red Husky owners felt the bikes were tall. I still have a 2013 WR144 as my spare. This era Husky really handle well.

Edited by slideleft

This helped explain things. Sounds like a 2014 TE250 is what I am looking for. http://motocrossactionmag.com/bike-tests/2014-test-ride-husqvarna-tc250-two-stroke

The TE250 is 5lbs heavier than the 250X. Wonder why that is. How is a 2014 2-stroke with plastic subframe heavier than a 2007 4-stroke?

Edited by mossman77

Thanks, but I really don't like the orange. I realize that sounds stupid, but it's the truth. I suppose I could conceal most of it with black and white decals. I'll consider it. I agree a 250cc 2-stroke may be a little much for my terrain and experience level.

Edited by mossman77

The WR is a woods bike. Has a larger tank,light coil and 18 inch rear wheel.  Go arrange a test ride. Then go see who sells what and how far away spare parts are as most KTM dealers who picked up the Husky line don't stock or order Red husky parts.
It's not that you can't get parts,it's just not as fast as the big4 or KTM.

By about mid 2014 you could get leftover euro Husky's and the Husaburg's with new Husky decals.

What you need to hear is some experience from someone with a TE250, and that's me! I just got a 15 in September as a leftover, and it would be a great bike for the riding you are describing. I am 5'8", 160lbs. and this bike is the perfect trail bike! I can lug it around in the tightest singletrack, usually in 2nd gear, or it will rev out and go as fast as you'll probably feel comfortable. At your size I would recommend the TE300, but that bike could become a handful for a beginner when the power "comes on". The suspension is very plush so it's not suited for racing mx, but I still plan on hitting some practice days for fun next year. At 220lbs. you might need some heavier springs and you'll be good to go. Just FYI, I searched for a used one at first too, but ended up getting the 15 for $7299 otd. Most nice used ones were in the upper 5-mid 6 thousand dollars anyways, so I just bit the bullet and got new. And I was also in your boat with not liking the orange, but knew they had the best bike for what I wanted so that sealed the deal for the Husky!  Go white, you won't be disappointed. BTW no need for gearing or a flywheel weight. It even has a nice plastic skidplate from factory. Just add a set of good barkbusters, a rear rotor guard, and your ready to go!

Edited by vetracer413

Dude just get a '14 or newer TE300 and call it a day. I'm 6'1 210 and love this bike it'll put that 250x to shame...although it's still a pretty cool bike

Map switch is a plus...no need for fly wheel weight or to really mess with gearing. These are woods bikes... Their made for your type of riding already...

Edited by greenhammer75

• 2 weeks later...

250 or 300, great bikes. 300 has more torque of idle, but if you spin it up it can be a handful. 250 can be made (much) more torquey with a head mod and slight gearing change. I think the 250 is more FUN, and can be tossed around a bit more. Feels lighter than the 300 for sure.

Both amazing and I prefer the 250 (had both, which may not be the case of everyone responding here)

also had a crf250x. Simply no comparison in the engine department in terms of torque and horsepower, but the 250x is a great bike with some mods. It handles VERY well out of the box.

The H 2t are lighter than the 250x, no question. Hondas to me always "feel" light when riding them.