Sign in to follow this  

NOSTALGIC S.W. COLORADO RIDE?

Any other old timers out there who did the trails around Ouray, Telluride, Silverton, and lake City in the 1970s, 80s??  Or maybe even younger people who did them later?  Or would simple like to do them?

I have gone to Moab the past few years, but cut my dirt bike riding teeth in colo. That was years ago, and would like to go back and do them again.  I know those old jeep trails aren't that challenging, but there is a lot of history to be seen, and the senery is beautiful.  And for me, the memories are great.  To avoid the hordes of people who do them in the summer months, I am thinking about doing the ride the 1st part of Sept 2016.  A street legal enduro (as they used to be called) or dual sport would be the handiest ride due to some stretches on the highway.  And (LOL) if you would rather do them in a Jeep, I guess we could stop occasionally and wait on you.

I am not looking for a drunken party---just a fun ride.  Let me know if you are interested or have questions.

I live a short distance from there, just south of Durango. Done all that stuff in the Jeep, never bothered on a bike. Mines not plated, but I'd go anyway.

I'm interested, I have hiked and 4 wheeled some in the area many years ago. Ride a DRZ, not sure I'm up to cjcreeper's speed, but I can keep the line moving. September sounds great. I have a brother with a place in Salida if that creates any options

One trip we planned on doing this summer on the bikes and never got around to it was the Cinnamon and Engineer pass loop. That's a hello long day in a Jeep, would be fun on a bike.

As long as I can have a cold one at the end of the day I'll be fine. How long a loop do you estimate it to be? Trying to determine if I should be getting a bigger tank

As long as I can have a cold one at the end of the day I'll be fine. How long a loop do you estimate it to be? Trying to determine if I should be getting a bigger tank

That loop, commonly known as the Alpine Loop is like 25 miles starting in Animas Forks and ending in Lake City. On a bike you could do it as a pretty easy day ride, it's just slow going in a Jeep. Cool thing is if you're not plated you can just get dropped off at Animas Forks and picked up at Lake City.

Way too short for a whole day, would need to add some more loops. Would really enjoy that area but only after schools starts, way too many jeeps and other vermin now. Much better(less people) 20-30 years ago. Salida is also a very excellent base,,,don't tell anyone. Same problem.

Glad to hear from you guys.  I was sure there would be several who would like to relive the old days.  And maybe some who would like to do do it for the first time.  YH and CJ are right---the Cinnamon and Engineer pass loop is a short day on a bike.  I figure we could do most all the trails---including side trails---around Silverton, Lake City, Ouray and Telluride in 3 to 4 days.  After Sept 1 the kids will be back in school, and most people on the trails will be retired folks in Jeeps and on quads.  LOL some still need their training wheels.

KC,  unless you have a really small tank, it's not too far between gas stations---but be prepared to pay high prices.  I used to do it on less than 2 gallons, and most bikes get better mileage than they did back then.  I am thinking Silverton would be the handiest base camp.  If it is like it used to be, you can camp for free on the road to Animus Forks above Eureka.  I will likely bring my pop up camper.  Also KC, I ride at times around Junction City and Manhattan, Ks.  Visit "Kansas check in" in the midwest region section.  And I do not mind having a cool one.  Just don't enjoy a bunch af drunk people.

Keep the ideas coming.  We have plenty of time to plan.  If you are interested, I got a group together for a ride in Moab, Ut. last

april.  It was a small group, but we had a blast.  Look in the midwest region section for "How about a ride in Moab".  I think the pictures start near the end of page 2.

I just noticed that this thread is in the rocky mountain region section.  I swear I started it in the general dirt bike section so people from across the country would see it.  Almost everyone I ever met on the trails there were from out of state.  Where was this thread when you first saw it?

I live in Durango and ride up in Silverton 4-5 times a year.  A good day would be starting on the road across from Ophir Pass and taking it to the top of Red Mt. Pass (can't remember the name of that one-it goes past the St. Paul Lodge, east side of the highway), go across the highway and take Black Bear Pass into Telluride, take Imogene Pass into Ouray.  Go south on Red Mt. and take Engineer into Lake City, take Cinammon Pass back into Animas Forks and then back to camp/hotel.

That's a lot of miles, but doable on a bike with an early start.  I just sold my DRZ, but an buying a KTM EXC-F 350 or Husqvarna FE 350 S this winter.  

Another good ride is Pole Creek Trail to West Lost Creek. Going over Stony Pass to get there and back.  Some good single track riding there.     

Joe, thanks for the suggestions.  That would be a good loop.  There are several good loops and will depend on the level of riding skills.  At this early stage I have no idea how many we might have.  And there may be some people on quads interested.

It makes me mad that they booted this thread off the dirt bike general discussion.  I have used different forums over the years and never had that happen before.  So, guess I will put some notices on other regional discussions referring them here.   If the moderators will allow that.  And it might even reach more people that way.

Most of the riding around Silverton is more KLR style riding.  A TE 300 would be fun on Pole Creek Trail though and on the trails around Rico/West Dolores.  Hell it'd still be fun cruising it on the 4WD roads around Silverton.  

Depends on what you want to ride.  I did these rides in the 1970s on a Suzuki TS 125.  Will do it this time on either a 74 TS 185, or a 78 DS 185 (my icon).  Not the fastest or smoothest riding bikes in the world, but did Hell's Revenge, Poision Spider, and Kane Creek in Moab in April on the DS.    Went almost everywhere my friends did on a KLR 250, Husky 250, and Husky 300 (380?) with recluse.  I only weigh 140#, so it doesn't take a lot of power to move me along, and LOL I got twice the work out.  Their bikes had twice the suspension travel.

I am calling this a nostalgic ride because it is the same trails, and using basically the same bike as i did in the 70s.  Traded the bike for a Jeep in the 80s so the wife and kids could go along.

He's talking about doing the ride in September of 2016.  Just planning ahead by about 9-10 months.  

Just thinking on the post here. I road eastern 1/2 of TAT to Moab on the KLR but would rather ride the 300 on ST stuff.

I know this ride planning is a long time in advance, but when you live in mid Kansas, the riding can be pretty boring.  LOL  Have to have something to look forward to!

14bikes, I am drawing a blank on what you mean by "TAT" to Moab.  Could you explain?  I only got back into the dirt bike riding about 4 years ago, and living in Kansas, and not into racing, still not familiar with some of the new abbreviations and terminology.

TAT is the trans America trail, a series of dirt roads and trails that cross much of the US. I believe it starts in Tennessee and across. As little pavement as possible. Closest good stuff to us is in Arkansas. Lots of info on the net