Sign in to follow this  

friends drz dies when throttle open

my friend just picked up a drz s model for cheap and the previous owner just cleaned the carb.... so he says

it will idle perfect, nicest sounding drz engine ive ever heard..but it was dark and i couldnt check it out too in depth..

anyways, he baught it..

problem: it idles perfect & sounds awesome. but as soon as you give it throttle the bike dies.

i will going back first thing in the morning to check it out and work on it, so right now im just asking for pointers on what it could possibly be, any advice welcome

What carb?

The fcr can be picky when it's not warmed up or running a lean mixture.

A quick twist of the mixture screw can solve the problem.

My friends sm died like it was out of gas, restarted and idled. But as soon as u touched the throttle it died, needle clip had somehow wanished and needle fell down and starwed it.. One possible thing to look at :) BTW It was an fcr carb..

thanks for the tips..

i got it fixed..upon carb removal, gas just started pouring out of the head like a fountain..i took off the carb . drained the oil, it was almost clear, super gassy..

couple friends help stand the bike vertical and let the gas pour out of the head..

put new gas, new oil, bypass ca emissions, started up just fine,revs and rides like a dream!!

the only thing i can think of that caused this was possibly the CA emissions...which i had also bypassed today

• Like 2

Keep an eye on it as either the petcock or the needle and seat are leaking , greg

could it be the ca emissions evap being wayy too overfilled??

the previous owner had just filled it up to the tip top brim..before the problem occured

im having a difficult time finding needle seat parts..i also cant really picture what tht piece looks like

im not seeing bsr36 on the mikuni section of jetsrus.com

http://jetsrus.com/carb_rebuild_kit/carb_rebuild_repair_kit_mikuni.html

Edited by 707LAKE

I'd run it for a a bit then drop thr oil to see if its still getting flooded with gas. If it is then pull the fuel line off the carb and see if it leaks when on ON or RES. Should only pour gas when on PRI. If it doesn't then move on to the carb like hinsky said. Not sure how the CA emissions works (IL bike so never seen nor know how it routes or what it does, other than "Helps with emissions") worse comes to worse buy the carb rebuild kit and freshen it up or just have him invest in a slightly used CVK40.

• Like 1

my friend just picked up a drz s model for cheap and the previous owner just cleaned the carb.... so he says

it will idle perfect, nicest sounding drz engine ive ever heard..but it was dark and i couldnt check it out too in depth..

anyways, he baught it..

problem: it idles perfect & sounds awesome. but as soon as you give it throttle the bike dies.

i will going back first thing in the morning to check it out and work on it, so right now im just asking for pointers on what it could possibly be, any advice welcome

flooded cylinder is almost always a bad needle valve (and or seat), but blamed on the petcock. the petcock should NOT flood the bike when on prime, IF the float needle (and seat) are in working order. 

if the previous owner messed up the float height (probable) and/or the needle seat (probable) those need to be fixed to prevent flooding the bike while running and /or not running. 

checking the petcock is easy: remove fuel line from carb and place it in a catch bottle. switch from ON / RES to PRIME a few times and see if it stops flowing while in the ON /RES positions. if it does, you've confirmed it's a carb problem. 

the evap stuff should not effect any of this. 

• Like 2

flooded cylinder is almost always a bad needle valve (and or seat), but blamed on the petcock. the petcock should NOT flood the bike when on prime, IF the float needle (and seat) are in working order. 

if the previous owner messed up the float height (probable) and/or the needle seat (probable) those need to be fixed to prevent flooding the bike while running and /or not running. 

checking the petcock is easy: remove fuel line from carb and place it in a catch bottle. switch from ON / RES to PRIME a few times and see if it stops flowing while in the ON /RES positions. if it does, you've confirmed it's a carb problem. 

the petcock is perfect, i put a grey shirt under the petcock, and over an hours time,,the shirt had no gassy smell and was dry

just wondering,, everybody keeps ruling out the evap system..but nobody live in CA that said so. im curious if anybody has ever seen a evap system and how it works??

its a charcoal canister with 2 lines coming off of it..that lead to a "thing"(not sure its name) by the R/R..and then 1 hose comes out and plugs into the bottom of the float bowl..and the other hose mounts into the tank breater vent under tank..and if you overfill your tank, it floods the charcoal canister, therefore pushing the gas down the line..up into the float bowl area

heres a link to the canister removal, if your interested in pics and seeing what it looks like

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/320609-smog-cannister-removal-how-to/

thanks for the tips,, if it keeps leaking, ill order a rebuild kit

Edited by 707LAKE

Keep an eye on it as either the petcock or the needle and seat are leaking , greg

you guys were right!  :thumbsup:

but its sucks because i went back over to my friends and the engine had filled up with gas again

i ordered the new pieces..but im going to install my stock carb parts into his and for now

im confused how the SO MUCH gas can get into the motor, since everything is vacuum, there was way more gas than the carb can hold that came out of the engine..i would assume the petcock would have to leak to cause that symptom, but i sware i put a grey shirt under the petcock as we worked on it for an hour, and the shirt was dry with no gas smell, so im pretty sure its not leaking  :banghead:

Edited by 707LAKE

Just replace the needle and o-ring and throw in a 30 dollar raptor on/off petcock and be done with it.

The Raptor petcocks on a stock tank don't work very well with the Mikuni carbs(still need to see how they work with the fcr) because the outlet comes out right into the carb with no real room to put on the hose. I had one and tried to put it on mine and the hose barb was only an 1/8" away from the carb and pointing right at it. I had to use a bottom outlet petcock .

Edited by jjktmrider

The Raptor petcocks on a stock tank don't work very well with the Mikuni carbs(still need to see how they work with the fcr) because the outlet comes out right into the carb with no real room to put on the hose. I had one and tried to put it on mine and the hose barb was only an 1/8" away from the carb and pointing right at it. I had to use a bottom outlet petcock http://www.ebay.com/itm/171677864236?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT .

jj where did you get that bottom  outlet petcock, that link doesn't work for me.

bike is fixed, adjusted float to the lower side of spec, installed new needle and seat

I live in California. I removed the evaporative emissions. I had the same problem with fuel filing the crankcase a year later. The cause was the the o-ring on the bottom of the float base. Not the needle. I replaced the o-ring & petcock with the Yamaha raptor petcock. The reserve pipe is short but I have the Clarke 3.9 gallon clear tank so if I run out of fuel shame on me. The suzuki dealer in Marysville sold the o-ring seperate.