Sign in to follow this  

CRF 230 - More oomph

One of the 230's that we have on the farm for running around o n is starting to use some oil. It smokes a little bit on startup and will make a decent cloud on a hard decel. Since it is starting to get cold out, we have a little bit of free time to work it over. Hopefully it just needs ring and maybe some valve work. But while we are in there, we might as well give it a little more. Unless the bore is worn (which I doubt), I was just thinking a higher compression piston and a cam. Stock compresion is 9.0:1. How high can we go before losing low end and/or having detonation problems? 11:1?

Who makes a good cam for these little 230's? Don't really want to loose any low end power...

IMO:

With the bike un-corked and properly jetted:

"Wiseco"11-1 perfect for good pump gas

Biggest bang for the buck!

"Web"40mc/ 402 #2 next best bang for the buck.

No springs needed, drop in, adjust valves, ride, big smiles!

• Like 3

Agree, simple and easy. You may also consider a very expensive CDI box (39.00 or less ha ha) by Pro-com. Will make a difference in lower rpms which helps. Also there are a couple new variations on 40/402. Ask Web Cam about ST-1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 . They all do a little different power and delivery but still simple drop-in.

Piston and properly jet and uncork will help a bunch. Cam and box is icing on the cake

• Like 3

IMO:

With the bike un-corked and properly jetted:

"Wiseco"11-1 perfect for good pump gas

Biggest bang for the buck!

"Web"40mc/ 402 #2 next best bang for the buck.

No springs needed, drop in, adjust valves, ride, big smiles!

I did this and the total cost was $308.  The difference it makes is amazing and you will be very happy with it.

Those pieces, along with the other items listed in my signature, transformed my mild 230 into a whole new engine.

DO NOT try any other cam EXCEPT what Guy and Terry have listed and mentioned!  This is VERY important!

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 2

What about being jetted properly?

For sure - with the the most highly advanced authoritative butt dyno.

Edited by 1972RedNeck

I don't really want to run an aftermarket piston in my 230F project bike. With everything else stock, other than uncorking the exhaust,  jetting, and a filter-- specifically what is the best cam to run w/o losing any low end power?  --L*64

I have done simulations and they show some gains with stock piston and Web 40mc/402 cam.  However, it would be crazy not to do both at the same time.

Edited by VortecCPI

I don't really want to run an aftermarket piston in my 230F project bike. With everything else stock, other than uncorking the exhaust,  jetting, and a filter-- specifically what is the best cam to run w/o losing any low end power?  --L*64

Your bike needs piston 11.1.Cam with stock piston waist of time.Everyone wishes the simple way,just drop magic cam more power.

• Like 1

There is really not much value in installing a cam without a piston.  The stock cam is what you need to get good cylinder pressure with such low compression.  Once you remove the valve cover you compromise both the cylinder gasket and head gasket anyhow.

If you want more power without a cam and piston get a Procom CDI, Powroll or FMF head pipe, and EO PoweRing w/110 main.  It will cost you more than a cm and piston and get you less.

Edited by VortecCPI

I don't really want to run an aftermarket piston in my 230F project bike

You need higher compression, and a piston and rings are cheap and easy to install once you have the head opened up.

• Like 1

PISTON YES!!!!!!! I was reading your comments and I believe you think higher compression will hurt your low-end. The opposite is true. Compression aids bottom end power and torque throughout entire powerband. If nothing else do a piston and Pro-com CDI box.  Do not invest in cam unless you do piston first. There are many combo's that have been discussed on this forum. The WebCam/Wiseco/Procom combo is a proven set-up. Full reliability with no additional machining required. Without compression there is no need to spend more for a pipe/cam/carb and all the other goodies.

• Like 1

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1448215444.477601.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1448215472.412897.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1448215488.331579.jpg

This is how they do it in Brazil,

Low compression? flat to piston.

4mm cylinder spacer with two base gaskets.

2mm offset crank pin.

Stock rod.

Bow string cam chain?

Advertised as 300cc? More like 70mm stroke and 70mm bore = 269.5cc

You have to go to Brazil to purchase kit

It's Not like this in the USA

Any compression you desire.

No spacer plate, one base gasket, no offset crank pin

Stronger rod

Stock cam chain with aftermarket bullet proof cam tensioner.

72stroke X 70mm bore = 277cc

PM "teamrude" to purchase.

Notice the lightened crankshaft in above photo?

Edited by adnohguy
  • Like 1

Hmmm. I discussed this ride in my CRF150F/230F Homologation Project thread. I wasn't necessarily trying to add power to this particular bike-- as it's going to be my practice thrasher. It's going to get a ton of ride time. I'm planning to build my kickstart '05 150F into my racing machine with a high comp piston, cam, and more sophisticated suspension. I already have the Coeshow kickstart gears sitting here for it. I wanted to get an increase in top end power on this 230F w/o losing any bottom end power or reliability. Maybe I should just get a CDI for this 230F project then?  --L*64

Edited by luckystar64
  • Like 1

Hmmm. I discussed this ride in my CRF150F/230F Homologation Project thread. I wasn't necessarily trying to add power to this particular bike-- as it's going to be my practice thrasher. It's going to get a ton of ride time. I'm planning to build my kickstart '05 150F into my racing machine with a high comp piston, cam, and more sophisticated suspension. I already have the Coeshow kickstart gears sitting here for it. I wanted to get an increase in top end power on this 230F w/o losing any bottom end power or reliability. Maybe I should just get a CDI for this 230F project then? --L*64

In your 150f be prepared for case damage around the center kick start gear center bearing. A compression release from xr100.com will lengthen the time it takes to cause transmission damage, but it will happen sooner or later,

Guaranteed....

I've destroyed three cases so far.

Electric start is the only100% cure but to me the lightened 150f flywheel makes the bike come alive.

So I'm living with it for now... Funnest bike I have ever owned!

EEKS! Even with the Coeshow kickstart gears? This '05 150F I have has about 400 hours on it, and 100 races, with no problems at all whatsoever. Any ideas on what I can do with that motor to get decent power out of it w/o having case damage? Maybe the hi-comp 150 piston? Or just running the stock 230 crank and piston?  --L*64

• Like 1