Sign in to follow this  

if you could have one vehicle ? sprinter, or f350 diesel 4 door ?

retireing sometime and want to downsize to one vehicle. dirt bike rideing is my main hobby ? I have a f3504x4 longbed diesel with a shell. thinking about a van etc?

what would you guys want if you were a retired dirt bike rider

i got an 01 7.3 f350 4 door long bed, that I've put a lot of money into so i would never get rid of it, but if i had a 6.0 or a 6.4 i might think of  a different vehicle. i don't like vans cause they don't tow as well.

• Like 1

i got an 01 7.3 f350 4 door long bed, that I've put a lot of money into so i would never get rid of it, but if i had a 6.0 or a 6.4 i might think of  a different vehicle. i don't like vans cause they don't tow as well.

lol, mine is a 2001 7.3 as wel !!!

No contest for me, Sprinter type van all the way!

-Without checking specs I'd guess a Sprinter gets better fuel mileage vs the pickup.

-You can camp more comfortably in the back of the van than in the bed or backseat of the F350, no need to pull a travel trailer.

-The van has a lower cargo floor height than the bed of the pickup, much easier to load a bike into.

-Your bike is enclosed in the van when parked at a restaurant or overnight at the motel when traveling,

less conspicuous than a 'toy hauler' trailer that stands out for thieves to notice.

Slap on some magnetic commercial vehicle signs saying  'Acme Extermination' when parked and no one will come close to it!

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 5

Without checking specs I'd guess a Sprinter gets better fuel mileage vs the pickup.

You can camp more comfortably in the back of the van than in the bed of the F350, no need to pull a trailer.

Your bike in enclosed in the van when parked at a restaurant or motel for the evening,

less conspicuous than a 'toy hauler' trailer for thieves to notice.

id rather have my tailer when I'm in glamis or saint A's for 2-3 weeks.

yeah, the van offers lock up 4 sure....real mpg is actually kinda clos...as in by 2mpg...

I was considering a rooftop tent, and a receiver hitch set up. for the truck. and some good locks >>>.

thos vans are tempting though 

Vans are harder to work on, will get better MPG (especially a diesel sprinter) are more secure, and generally ride better (especially over a 3/4 ton).

You can also do most truck things with a sprinter van. As long as they aren't 10 feet tall. ;)

Id keep the truck just in case you are doing work around the house and need an open bed, a van would have to be strictly for biking and it wouldn't be very good hauling around stuff for the yard or house.

Id keep the truck just in case you are doing work around the house and need an open bed, a van would have to be strictly for biking and it wouldn't be very good hauling around stuff for the yard or house.

Why?  people use vans for all kinds of loads.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

My choice would be Van. I like the Chevy express 2500-3500 series but the new ford transits are nice alternative to the sprinter

Sprinters are junk, so I'd take the Ford Transit if I wasn't towing a lot. If I was going to tow a travel trailer/toy hauler, I'd get a GMC 1 ton van with a diesel.....you can tow a house with those things. It's nice to bable to walk to the back of the van if you like and as others have said.....bike storage is top notch.

X2

Sooner or later you will need an open bed for one reason or another.

Sure you can carry loads in a van. But depending on the load, it may be more of an inconvenience in a van. Load of yard trimmings or trash in a truck, no biggie. Load and go, spray it out.

I will keep my f-350 longbox. When I need it, it sure is handy. 3bikes in the bed with tailgate closed.

A lot of advantages with a van also.

But if only 1, truck imo

I have one of the unicorn 7.3 E350's. I also have a lifted F150. 

I love my van, rarely drive the truck.

it tows too.

GOPR1037_1430439552799_high_zpsdpwjnypo.

20140213_160613_zpsf4bc1814.jpg

• Like 1

Sprinters are junk, so I'd take the Ford Transit if I wasn't towing a lot. If I was going to tow a travel trailer/toy hauler, I'd get a GMC 1 ton van with a diesel.....you can tow a house with those things. It's nice to bable to walk to the back of the van if you like and as others have said.....bike storage is top notch.

B.S.  

My 2007 3.0 turbo diesel Sprinter, which I've had since 2007, has been super dependable.  Excellent fuel mileage while towing a lightweight travel trailer and carrying 1 or 2 bikes with gear.  The Sprinter takes me where I need to go and with little effort. 

Edited by Chas_M
  • Like 1

B.S.  

My 2007 3.0 turbo diesel Sprinter, which I've had since 2007, has been super dependable.  Excellent fuel mileage while towing a lightweight travel trailer and carrying 1 or 2 bikes with gear.  The Sprinter takes me where I need to go and with little effort.

Good for you! I'm glad the sprinter has worked well for you. I have a buddy who is a sprinter tech and like most techs, he wouldn't recommend what he works on the most. By the way, he drives a 12 F350 Crew Lb.

The MB sprinters have a very spotty reliability record with the motorhome folks, I would go Ford or even one of the new Dodges. The chevy express is excellent also and the 5.3 engine gets great gas mileage.

• Like 1

The MB sprinters have a very spotty reliability record with the motorhome folks, I would go Ford or even one of the new Dodges. The chevy express is excellent also and the 5.3 engine gets great gas mileage.

I'm a little leary with the new dodges. A lot of recalls lately. The 5.3 is an awesome motor with tons of cheap potential. E92 heads come to mind. I'm wary of the transmission used. If it's a 4L65E in my experience (which is limited) it couldn't handle all the torque so there was a huge delay. I can't remember what it was called?? Probably only an issue if you drive it like it was stolen. Or normal in my case.