Sign in to follow this  

XR250 Petcock Filter?

First post here... kind of new to dirtbikes.  I picked up 1991 XR250R last year.  The petcock stopped flowing recently, I pulled it out and the screen was pretty well clogged, and the reserve has never worked since i got it (my assumption is that crud accumulated towards the bottom of the filter).  Can someone comfirm that the filter screen is non-replaceable?  I can't seem to find a replacement online without getting a whole new unit for $60 on bikebandit.com.  What do you guys usually do?  I suppose I could blow compressed air through it but it seems pretty old and brittle.

Also, I see that Acerbis has a universal type petcock that says it will with the XR250 that's dirt cheap, anyone know if it fits this bike?

I believe you are correct. I don't think the screen can be purchased separately. See if you can clean it, and clean out the reserve/tank while you are at it.

Personally I would not buy an aftermarket petcock. OEM is the way to go.

If it is corroded badly, leave it out and add an inline filter.

Thanks for the reply.  I'll try to clean it out and like you say, if I have to I can just cut off the old in-tank filter and put an inline in...