Sign in to follow this  

emmissions suck!

Is there a kit I could get for my 2012 250x to remove all the smog crap that the bike has on it?  It's a California bike but I'm not worried about getting caught with this stuff off of it...I ride closed circuit course so help me get rid of the crap this bike doesn't need!

There's a silver metal tube in the air box and boot the wraps around with a hose and seems to do nothing.  Can I remove that!

As you can tell...I like to throw away stuff I don't need!

Thanks for any help on bringing my bike back to the basics of what the engine needs....not what Obama wants!

Thanks again!

Try searching some youtube videos and you should find what and how to remove all the emissions stuff

There are block off kits available from many places for the X's to remove the emissions stuff.  However, a couple of points:

1. Removing the air pump will eliminate a lot of the popping on decel, 

2. It will not alter the power.

3. It will save some weight (approx 1lb).

4. If you have not already, you'll want to re-jet the bike.  This will give you a boost in power.

And sorry, but I have to add; please dispense with the political comments or at the very least get your facts straight.  The CARB in CA was put in place before Obama, Bush, Clinton, George H Bush, Reagan, Carter, Ford, and Nixon were president.   It was in fact started when Johnson was president in 1967.  Obama has nothing to do with CA and the CARB or CA being the state with the strictest emission regulations in the country.   The people in CA are responsible for that.

CARB exists for a reason, which is that CA has some unique topography and weather patterns, and I'm sure like a lot of other people in CA, you do enjoy breathing clean air.

Jim.

• Like 1

Thanks Jim.  The Obama jab was not intended to be directed directly and only at him...more of poking fun and frustration with the bureaucracy controlling most smog crap here in California.  I am fully aware Barack's not the emission control board or the guy who came up with CARB.     

Sorry if you're sensitive and were offended by my statement and I'll try to not direct political comments in the future about the idiot we have for a President.  

CRF's only (I'm not associated) has this sort of stuff readily available.

All of the Xs from 07 on, 49 State and CA, had the same air suction valve and associated plumbing. No air pump, it is low pressure in the exhaust port that draws in some filtered air. The system has zero impact on power except as noted the 1 pound of weight.

My only rational for removing It is because it is another system on the bike that might require maintenance.

As posted plenty of kits out there to remove the valve.  Because my 05 didn't have the air suction system I used one of those block off kits when I installed a 09 head on my 05.

The only downside to the PAIR system is the deceleration popping. Fresh air into a hot exhaust with unburnt fuel equals lots of pop. Blocking the system off results in less of that. With proper jetting it goes away completely.

No air pump, it is low pressure in the exhaust port that draws in some filtered air. The system has zero impact on power except as noted the 1 pound of weight. 

No, it's really a pump.   It uses engine vaccum to suck air from the air box and inject it into the exhaust via the metal tube.  It accomplishes that with a reed valve though and not what you would think of as a pump in a traditional sense (a piston in a cylinder).

Jim.

I don't know...officially and collectively, it's referred to as "Secondary Air Supply System" in the service manual.  The valve itself is referred to as "pulse secondary air injection (PAIR) control valve" and note it's referred to as a valve rather than a pump, although it does pump/inject air into the exhaust.

Jim.

Edited by Jim Dettman

I think the eng vac is only used to open the valve, then as Chuck explained that allows air to be drawn into the exhaust port.

All of the Xs from 07 on, 49 State and CA, had the same air suction valve and associated plumbing. No air pump, it is low pressure in the exhaust port that draws in some filtered air. The system has zero impact on power except as noted the 1 pound of weight.

My only rational for removing It is because it is another system on the bike that might require maintenance.

As posted plenty of kits out there to remove the valve.  Because my 05 didn't have the air suction system I used one of those block off kits when I installed a 09 head on my 05.