Sign in to follow this  

Metal in clutch cover yz250f

Damaged clutch basket or sprockets???

Went to bed after I pulled the cover, just wanted to share what was found to see if it could be anything non clutch related. And if anyone knew what to look for and/or what causes this.

In my opinion it could be everything. Start with inspecting the basket, arent there any grooves. If I would be you, i would tear the engine completely and inspect the sprockets and everything in it, it's not that hard.

Maybe somebody could give you a better answer!  :thumbsup:

In my opinion it could be everything. Start with inspecting the basket, arent there any grooves. If I would be you, i would tear the engine completely and inspect the sprockets and everything in it, it's not that hard.

Maybe somebody could give you a better answer! :thumbsup:

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1448160513.647727.jpg

The chunks are aluminum, magnet won't pick em up

Could be damaged piston bottom part, something from engine cases???

When I was rebuilding my bike i had similiar pieces everywhere in engine, turned out they were from piston bottom part.

Could be damaged piston bottom part, something from engine cases???

When I was rebuilding my bike i had similiar pieces everywhere in engine, turned out they were from piston bottom part.

The bottom

Of the piston itself? The skirt?

Whatever is the problem part you need to inspect the oil pump gear. There's a great chance that it has attempted to chew those pieces of metal which will greatly reduce your oil flow.