Sign in to follow this  

MSR swingarm bearing kit.. FAIL

I called up my dealer the other day and gave them part numbers for all balls bearing kits for the swing arm, linkage, and upper shock .. went in to pick up said parts and they had ordered me MSR Hard Parts bearings. i said whatever, prices were similar. i checked the packages externally and my machine was listed on them. seemed good to go, i got home and got the linkage stuff installed, opened the swing arm kit and low and behold, there is only ONE long bushing/collar (baggy part number 40-2110), and an extra set of seals (baggy part number 40-4012) .. um what the heck?!

this is a total PITA, I've got over $2000 in parts and labor in this bike between fresh suspension and complete motor rebuild, picking the suspension up tomorrow and had a ride planned for saturday.. now a stupid bearing kit (that i didn't even want, [specified AllBallz to dealer] since they can get me parts next day) looks to be blowing my weekend plans!! 

I'm hoping they have the OEM parts on hand or can get the proper kit rushed to me and not make me eat the cost of an opened kit! 

Stuff happens. Don't plan a ride when your bike isnt even finished yet. You'll just be disappointed when you can't make it bc of a parts mistake like this

• Like 3

I called up my dealer the other day and gave them part numbers for all balls bearing kits for the swing arm, linkage, and upper shock .. went in to pick up said parts and they had ordered me MSR Hard Parts bearings. i said whatever, prices were similar. i checked the packages externally and my machine was listed on them. seemed good to go, i got home and got the linkage stuff installed, opened the swing arm kit and low and behold, there is only ONE long bushing/collar (baggy part number 40-2110), and an extra set of seals (baggy part number 40-4012) .. um what the heck?!

this is a total PITA, I've got over $2000 in parts and labor in this bike between fresh suspension and complete motor rebuild, picking the suspension up tomorrow and had a ride planned for saturday.. now a stupid bearing kit (that i didn't even want, [specified AllBallz to dealer] since they can get me parts next day) looks to be blowing my weekend plans!! 

I'm hoping they have the OEM parts on hand or can get the proper kit rushed to me and not make me eat the cost of an opened kit! 

AllBallz bearing aren't all that great either (probably the exact same bearings as the MSR).

• Like 1

If you just need a bushing and know someone with a lathe that could be a quick fix.

Stuff happens. Don't plan a ride when your bike isnt even finished yet. You'll just be disappointed when you can't make it bc of a parts mistake like this

no reason not to plan for rides. the bearing could have just as easily failed on a ride.  

Ill stick with stock, but I wonder about pivot works?

i would never pay the prices for stock bearings, they dont offer them in a kit.. to buy all the items oem, would be over $200, the pivot works or allballs is $63.. i have used both kits in the past and they were both good. i wanted all ballz because of the sticker this time.

• Like 2

i would never pay the prices for stock bearings, they dont offer them in a kit.. to buy all the items oem, would be over $200, the pivot works or allballs is $63.. i have used both kits in the past and they were both good. i wanted all ballz because of the sticker this time.

it's always about the stickers eh! Same here. I just started to notice A LOT of bikes have on of these bad boys slapped on them.

1448127711117.jpg

• Like 2

Bearings are a critical fit precision part. Seals are a critical fit precision part. I have used All Balls once,,,junk. I have used Pivot Works once,,,junk. My original bearings lasted 13+ years with minimal maintenance. My AB and PW kits lasted less than ONE year.  OEM for my Honda, period!

Edited by YHGEORGE

Bearings are a critical fit precision part. Seals are a critical fit precision part. I have used All Balls once,,,junk. I have used Pivot Works once,,,junk. My original bearings lasted 13+ years with minimal maintenance. My AB and PW kits lasted less than ONE year. OEM for my Honda, period!

but... what about the sticker? :(
  • Like 4

I have a forty pound box of stickers. One day, I'll give them to the person who is willing to apply them to their bike and clear coat it.

You obviously have too much shelf space. Or are getting old and senile. Mine are tossed with the shipping box/package.

Back in the day, stickers used to go on tool boxes. Mine still have quite a few. Only complete tools put them on their bike unless it was required by a real, real sponsor.

All my bikes have less graphics than they did when showroom new.

I bet I could auction them off though. "Preston Petty' has to be worth a bit now.

• Like 2

Back in the day, stickers used to go on tool boxes. Mine still have quite a few. Only complete tools put them on their bike unless it was required by a real, real sponsor.

All my bikes have less graphics than they did when showroom new.

I bet I could auction them off though. "Preston Petty' has to be worth a bit now.

I had to replace my beer/sticker fridge I had in my shop.   It had over 4 decades of stickers on it.  I was bummed out, it had great character.

• Like 2

I had to replace my beer/sticker fridge I had in my shop. It had over 4 decades of stickers on it. I was bummed out, it had great character.

Any pictures? Those are always cool.

I have a box of about 4-500 stickers. I use them to hide plastic blemishes and scratches on my project bikes that I'm selling :smirk: