Sign in to follow this  

Winterizing, please help the Florida guy!

I regard to fuel, should I top the tank and treat with that Sta-Bil stuff for storage or drain it? Will it damage fuel pump on an injected bike to run it out?

I was thinking to treat the gas and fire it up to introduce it into the injectors, then drain the tank.

Flatlander! LOL!

I run Sta-Bil year round. Doesn't hurt anything and you never know when you may be down for a while. I only run marine Sta-Bil. Those boat guys know what's up when it comes to months of storage.

• Like 5

There is a sticky somewhere on how to winterize or store a bike.  Maybe someone has a link..?

Seafoam in the gas, start and let run until it reaches temp, put away for winter.

Do you guys actually have "winter" in Florida???????

• Like 1

I broke my wrist the first week of November.  I figured I wasn't going to be riding for awhile, so I poured an appropriate amount of StaBil in the tank, started the bike up and ran it for a few minutes, then shut it down, closed the petcock and drained the carb.  Today, almost 2 1/2 months later I decided to start it up and see how it runs (there's still a foot of snow on the ground, so I didn't ride it).  Took around 15 kicks, but then it started right up.  Let it run for a few minutes, it idled perfectly and responded instantly to the throttle, no bog.  I'll be changing the oil with fresh Amsoil synthetic before I actually ride it, but obviously winterizing your bike isn't that hard. ;)

Edited by cjjeepercreeper
  • Like 2

Make sure you have coolant and not water in your radiators. Add fuel stabilizer (sta-bil marine works well) swish to ensure its mixed in the tank and run it for a few so it gets through the carb. Disconnect the battery and put it on a battery tender (if it has one), put a cover on it and keep it out of the snow so it doesn't rust and you should be god to go.