Sign in to follow this  

Question about the fork oil seal fitment.

Hello guys,

I am working on replacing seals on a 45mm Marzocchi Shiver fork, however I ran into an issue to which I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

After disassembling the fork I found that the new fork seal has a lower side height (8.5mm), even though the total height of both seals is the same (11mm) as seen in the picture below:

seals_comparison.jpg

As a result, after the installation the circlip that is supposed to secure the oil seal in place is not sitting flush with the seal, instead there's a gap of about 2.5mm as seen in the picture below:

circlip_space.jpg

Old seal: NOK DCY 45 58 11

New seal: KOK T5C 45 58 8.5/11

Now the question that I have for the suspension experts is this - will this fork function properly with this new seal?

Edited by unimog

I would run it.  You could install a snap ring type spacer if you want to be abundantly cautious.

Sorry wrong fork, I was on about 48mm forks

I would run it.  You could install a snap ring type spacer if you want to be abundantly cautious.

Well, I don't think I'd be able to source a spacer of correct size and thickness. Any other input? I'm leaning towards ordering the new oil seal that is sized correctly. Sheesh, advice people, don't order new parts until you actually disassemble your fork and measure the original seals.

People used to run wp seals in a kyb or the other way round , they had a similar difference in heights