Sign in to follow this  

New-to-me 2005 CRF450R

Hey all, looking for some pointers here. My Dad just bought a new to him 2005 CRF450R. The last bike he owned was a 1979 TTR500, and I ride orange, so the bike is totally new to both of us.

Anybody have pointers for this year of the 450?

Bike looks super clean, fires right up first kick, recent top end, front wheel comes off the ground super easily, professionally done suspension (albeit for a rider about 40lbs lighter than my dad), no leaks, etc. Picked it up from a guy who was only selling because he's going through a divorce (which I kinda felt terrible about :/ ).

Anyways, thanks for any info!

2005 was a great year, it was a pivotal bike in 4 stroke history, so good on you for that.

Keep an eye on the valve clearance, especially on the intake valves for that year.i think 06 had more durable valve rain, but as long as he stays away from the rev limiter, he shouldn't need to worry much. Keep both sides of the oil clean and it will live a long life.

First and foremost, he should spring the bike for his weight, so it will actually handle like it was meant to for him, and that alone will be the biggest factor for him to fully enjoy it.

Good luck and enjoy it!

The 2005 450R was a great year.. as HR ^^^ said, make sure the valves are within spec (don't assume anything with this bike) and set the race/free/static sag for your Dad's weight, and he will love that bike.

Setting the proper race sag is critical for optimal handling. 

Cheers