Sign in to follow this  

2009 yz125 waterpump seal replacement

I have a 2009 yz125 waterpump seal that needs to be changed and i took the side of the engine off and on the waterpump shaft it looks like there is a little ring that I need to take off to pull the shaft through and it looks like the impeller doesnt screw off so how do i change the seals?

Been a while since I did mine, but I will try to help.

Now, what is the problem you are experiencing? water dripping from weep hole, or the common problem of water getting into the gear oil and making it milky?

Reason I ask is there are two seals and if it is the latter you have to replace both. To replace the inner seal you first need to remove the bearing. To remove the shaft I believe you just push out the pin inside the drive gear. Best bet is to download the free Yamaha service manual and just follow the instructions.

Hear is a parts diagram to get you started.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2009/YZ125+-+YZ125Y/WATER+PUMP/parts.html

Take out Pin #3. Replace seals #7 and #8. Most would also replace bearing #9 at this point, but you can reuse if it's in good condition. It can be hard to press the bearing out. a combination of the right sized socket and a vise or clamp to apply smooth pressure works well. Avoid all temptation to resort to a hammer and screwdriver :)