Sign in to follow this  

2003 KTM 450 EXC $1700 vs 2006 Yamaha TT-R250 $1200

I'm looking to buy a motorcycle to use all-purpose here in Baja, Mexico. I'd be using it 90% on bumpy paved and dirt roads, but would like to be able to cruise down the beach on it and occasionally get into some real off-road desert trails. I want to be able to occasionally cruise comfortably on the highway at 70mph for an hour or two. I'm not interested in racing, jumping, or pushing the bike hard off-road. Reliability and low, easy maintenance are important factors for me, as is range and economy.

I've found a 2003 KTM 450 EXC for $1700 in good shape.. and a 2006 Yamaha TT-R250 for $1200 that looks more worn but runs well. The TTR leaks oil I'm not sure how much or from where. I'm new to the world of these kind of bikes, but so far I think I understand:

-both being 6 speed bikes are well geared for the highway

-both are capable for what I need off-road

-the TTR is a simpler bike so maybe less and cheaper maintenance

-the TTR will get better gas mileage

-the KTM is more powerful, capable, better built, and potentially a better deal even though its expensive

Id rather spend less money than more... but if there are very compelling reasons to get the KTM I will. What do you guys think?

OK well first off ill tell you what each of these bikes is meant for. The TTR is a beginner to intermediate trail bike meant for more easy laid back trail riding on dirt roads. Its a perfect ranch or farm bike. The TTR could push out maybe 16hp and with a handful of mods could be pushed to 20hp. A 6 speed gearbox is nice but nothing to do with being geared for the highway. The TTR probably has a top speed of maybe 60 and thats 6th gear all out revving the crap out it which would basically destroy a motor like that very quickly. If its already leaking oil don't even bother. The KTM is entirely a deferent bike. It has way way way more power, between 40-50 hp. I that bike could handle everything you throw at it and if its geared right could very easily do highway speeds comfortably. The maintenance on either of these bikes would be the same. They both need oil changes, airlifts cleaned, spark plugs changed, valves gapped, etc. That being said if this is your first bike then neither of these are a good choice. The TTR being way to small and weak and the KTM being way to much bike for a first timer. What you need is a 250 dual sport like the Yamaha WR250, but before you even consider buying a bike you need to learn a lot more about them. Also when you are ready to go out and buy one please, please, please take someone who is very knowledgable about the subject to look at the bike with you. He would be able to spot any red flags with the particular bike and help you avoid a potential basket case.