Sign in to follow this  

HELP! 2006 DRZ-400S Revs high by itself when choke taken off and add throttle

Hey I bought a 2006 about two months ago. When I bought it it ran fine and had no issues; probably put about 100 miles on it. Then one day it started revving really high after startup once I added throttle. When I have the choke on it works fine, seems to idle perfectly as far as I can tell and throttles without issue. When I remove the choke it drops the idle fine but when I add throttle it revs all the way up and stays there. I imagine it must have a lean condition somewhere but i can's seem to figure out where.

FYI: It needed a tune up anyway so as of now I have replaced the air filter, spark plug, and battery and rebuilt the carb with oem parts.

I have no idea where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated. 

throttle cables are frayed ? 

air boot is sloppy ? 

NEVER ride a bike with frayed throttle cables ! 

Throttle cables are good, returns to idle perfectly when the choke is in. As soon as I remove the choke it immediately revs up and stays there. It sounds fine, no popping from the exhaust. The airbox boot does have some very small tears at the carburetor side and the hose clamp is tightened to max. I am going to buy another boot and see what happens.

You have an air leak somewhere ,the slide is hanging up , or a partially blocked pilot . Stock carb ?  You'll need to take the carb out and clean it to see if there is any dirt /grime preventing the slide from dropping or if a lot of dirt has been sucked in through the breather and it wore out the slide . Watch for any loose clamps on the airboots or cracked vacuum lines for any leaks.