Sign in to follow this  

Is the "XC" model really worth it?

I've been looking at used bikes and there are so many KTM sx's in my area for sale that would be a great buy if I was more into track riding, but Im the opposite. My point is how easy and pricey would it be to convert A MX bike to a cross country/ enduro bike.

Lot of people do it. If you ride really tight woods it light be worth it to wait for the xc but you can just get skid plate, any guards, flywheel weight and you'll be set. No estart (which is nice to have) and you can put an 18"wheel on back if needed. If you get into 3rd gear at all in your trails often I'm guessing the sx would do fine. Top riders prefer the sx for more power. Suspension might also need attention but if u were gonna get suspension work with the xc then that's irrelevant

Edited by Brandon7711

Enduro bikes have wider ratio transmissions and softer suspension, both of which could be quite expensive to try to replicate.  Enduro bikes also tend to have more bottom end grunt and less top end power.

Lot of people do it. If you ride really tight woods it light be worth it to wait for the xc but you can just get skid plate, any guards, flywheel weight and you'll be set. No estart (which is nice to have) and you can put an 18"wheel on back if needed. If you get into 3rd gear at all in your trails often I'm guessing the sx would do fine. Top riders prefer the sx for more power. Suspension might also need attention but if u were gonna get suspension work with the xc then that's irrelevant

The SXs ONLY have e start, no kick.

money into a good suspension job where they valve for your riding abiliy, terrain and you have a great bike... for whatever conditions you ride

There's a lot more differences between the SX and enduro/dualsports than just the transmission ratio. 

Converting an MX/MXC with their mid-ratio transmission is just a gear-stack swap.  SX, I don't even think is possible to bring it to EXC/XCW spec. 

I weighed the options when I was looking at mine. Unless you find a crazy deal and want to put in the time to convert to an XC, you might as well just buy one. Honestly, the amount of money to convert is not cheap, and unless someone is desperate for money and decides to take a serious loss on the SX, it wont be cheaper. 

To convert you would need to change the transmission, rear wheel, rear sprocket, fuel tank and the suspension. The head and CDI on the XC is slightly different as well, however many people prefer the SX head and CDI which I recently found out I have on mine so I wouldn't know the difference.