Triple Clamp Replacement

Top only. Aftermarket (applied racing). One thing on my mind - will the front fork assembly fall out when I pull the top clamp, or is there another nut under the top clamp that'll keep that from happening??

keep the front tire on the ground , or just put the bike on the kickstand instead of a bike stand  , remove the top nut , loosen the clamp bolts and tap the top tree off with a rubber mallet , then put the new one on 

Gee TR42 you always want so much info, it's a dirt bike what more do you need to know duhhhhhhhhhh ?  ain't they all the same LOL

LOL. Yeah, I do don't I? I guess I prefer to avoid giving generic answers when I can, especially to newbies or folks that aren't very mech inclined or informed on what they're wanting to do.

Folks here that try to help others with their questions, do so best with as much info as you can provide, especially info that you don't think is relevant, as evidenced by DiscJVs reply of "top clamp" only. If he hadn't have revealed that, Project89 might have spent the time and effort to type out the whole dropping of the whole front end, lower clamp, bearing and race removal and reassembly.

• Like 1

Hi All -  I'm installing a new triple clamp on my 2002 xr400 this weekend and just wanted to see if there are any pointers or suggestions I should be aware of going into the job?  Seems pretty straightforward, but always good to hear from those in the know.

Thanks!

Top only. Aftermarket (applied racing). One thing on my mind - will the front fork assembly fall out when I pull the top clamp, or is there another nut under the top clamp that'll keep that from happening??

There is a nut under the top clamp, the front fork assembly will not fall apart.  When you have the new top clamp on, it is best to tighten the center nut first, before you tighten the pinch bolts.  That way you know the top clamp is seated correctly, and not forced.

Thanks all for the replies.  Apologies on being so vague :-).  Installed with new upper triple clamp yesterday w/o issue.  It was just as GU520 mentioned w/ another nut under the triple.  Only lesson learned is the middle (steering column?) hole was every so slightly binding when trying to slide the new triple down.  Remedied by loosening the bottom triple clamp bolts.

I did the same clamp. It was very easy and went on in about an hour since I took my time to make sure the forks werent corrked when I finished. Looks super trick and makes me FEEL like the bike is a tad more stable although I have no way to verify that with any impericle data at all. LOL!