Radiator Cooling Fan DIY

I ride in Tight twisty trails on hills with lots of rocks. So I put a Radiator fan on the 250X.It turns on at 185F and turns of below 185F or the engine is stopped.

There is a connector under the gas tank that is for the Honda Kit. I did not use the Honda Kit. Did a DIY project. The Drawing attached shows details of connections and part numbers and where I bought the parts.

I started by reading the post on the forum for CRF450X that did this  http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/843489-put-a-fan-on-he-x/

Here is a link to a write up on doing this on a Car http://www.aaroncake.net/rx-7/efaninstall.htm  I used the wiring diagram 

Pulled the tank, shrouds, seat and other parts off

Mounted the Fan on the two outside mounts on the radiator. Used a piece of "plumbers tape" to extend the third inside radiator mount.  The fan is not an exact fit for the third inside mount. There is a picture of the third mount with the  metal "tape". The Mount for the Fan is very solid. The shroud does not touch the radiator but pullsplenty of air thru the radiator.

I removed the existing Honda plug for the Honda "kit" and used the Black lead +12V shown on factory wiring (owners Manual) Diagram as Bl as the switched part of the circuit. This switched portion cuts the fan off when the engine stops. Keeps the battery from being drained.

The Green lead on the Honda plug is ground on the factory wiring diagram in owners Manual.

Wired it up as shown on attached Drawing, checked the connections three times . Soldered all connections, used electrical two wire plugs ( trailer type wiring connectors) on any thing that might need to come out for maintenance such as the thermostat, relay has its own plug and connections into wiring harness. Used heat shrink on all soldered connections. I used two +12V connections. One controls the relay pulling in and out with T stat and the other powers the fan. I tied the ground back to the Green factory lead on the connector for the Factory Kit

.IMG_2877.JPGIMG_2875.JPGIMG_2875.JPGIMG_2873.JPGIMG_2872.JPGIMG_2882.JPG

Most of installation time was spent on the Aftermarket Radiator Brace "adjusting" it to clear the new fan. If you dont have radiator braces this DIY will be easier.

Fan comes on at 185 F, shuts off when the engine stops so it will not run the battery down.

I used a split plastic wiring harness cover for the "wiring Harness" that I made. This made the harness bigger than I would have prefered but it protects the wiring. There is not much room under the gas tank but that's where all the wiring went . Every part is weatherproof. Fuses are in sealed housings, relay is in sealed housing, Fan is weatherproof.

Not very hard to do if you are familar with wiring and schematic diagrams. It worked for me on first try. I spent about $150 on this install

I checked my receipts and the total was $138.62,    $28.64 of that was for a nice relay which was over kill on a small fan.

The Trail Tech is a nice unit at 169.95

14.28 Tax

16.89 UPS Ground

----------------   

201.12 Total  Which is a lot better price than I have seen on the Honda Kit 

I built this myself because I can do it and I like to do it :ride: .

I checked my receipts and the total was $138.62,    $28.64 of that was for a nice relay which was over kill on a small fan.

14.28 Tax

16.89 UPS Ground

----------------   

I also like DIY but sometimes other activities steal time from motorcycles. :facepalm:

I bought a TT Fan kit in March 2014 for $149.95 total.

14.28 Tax

16.89 UPS Ground

----------------   

I built one too, but I'm a cheap bastage... less than $20

IMG_0808_zps6rbwmjmp.jpg

More info: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1160893-best-aftermarket-cooling-method/#entry12748977

:thumbsup:

Edited by Kenstone

Why did you decide to use 7.5 amp fuses?  Doesn't seem like enough protection.  The fan and relay coil together draw less than 4 amps.

I'm like you and love to take on projects like this.  If it weren't for the mounting bracket, I would just create my own like you did.  However, I can get the complete kit for $142 no tax and free shipping. 

Edited by mossman77

Since the factory kit didn't have a relay or fuses and I ran a separate power supply from the battery,  I considered the use of fuses overkill  and sized them so they didn't cause a problem

I think fuses are good. I would have just used one for everything though. Are you satisfied with how it works?

Edited by mossman77

If the SW524 is more or less reading the water temperature into the motor and switches on at 185F, what engine temperature does that correspond to? What is the range of the TT digital t-stat?

Edited by mossman77

Since the factory kit didn't have a relay or fuses and I ran a separate power supply from the battery,  I considered the use of fuses overkill  and sized them so they didn't cause a problem

I didnt mean I dont like fuses but in this circuit having two fuses and a relay to control the fan it was not critical to have a 5 amp fuse. A 7.5amp fuse still provided the protection I wanted

I understand. I meant to say a single fuse for the entire system would have been sufficient.