Sign in to follow this  

Tried drilling out a bolt, made a mess of it....help?

One of the 3 hex bolts that holds the end cap on my muffler had snapped off. I tried drilling it out and have just made mess of things. I've messed up the thread on one side of the hole and there is still remnants of the old bolt in the hole. Any suggestions how to extract what remains in there and hopefully salvage the situation? Fact is, the end cap can go on with just 2 hex bolts, I'd just like to fix it.

Easy out bit. Or heat alittle around while using easy out

One of the 3 hex bolts that holds the end cap on my muffler had snapped off. I tried drilling it out and have just made mess of things. I've messed up the thread on one side of the hole and there is still remnants of the old bolt in the hole. Any suggestions how to extract what remains in there and hopefully salvage the situation? Fact is, the end cap can go on with just 2 hex bolts, I'd just like to fix it.

Post up a pic so we can see how messy you made it.

It might actually help and I at least will not mock you :rolleyes:

Post up a pic so we can see how messy you made it.

It might actually help and I at least will not mock you :rolleyes:

I'm fully prepared to be mocked. I totally effed it up. I'll post a pic.

• Like 2

Easy out bit. Or heat alittle around while using easy out

Tried both and just dug a bigger hole (literally and figuratively) for myself. Posting a pic...

Sorry to hear, its not easy when bolt snap is uneven to start pilot hole. Challenging. Gotta to be there to help buddy. Sorry

But if you do break it loose you might be able to retap it and use even though one side is gone a bit

Swallow your pride and let a machine shop  fix it for you.

If it is an aftermarket exhaust, perhaps the manufacturer will repair it. I know Yosh does with their pipes and often fairly cheaply.

Not that big a deal. 10 year old bike. Original stock exhaust. I'll likely just run with 2 out of 3 screws. 

That looks like it's an insert between the inside and the outside and weld to the flange.

At this point you could either leave it and use 2 screws or you could re-tap this by determining the next size up tap, then drilling carefully and straight through with a good new drill bit. Check the existing hex bolt to determine if its metric and make sure you can get the correct tap, hex bolt or another bolt for the hole you tap.

IMO this is harder to explain that to do if you have access to a have decent shop

Edited by filterx
  • Like 1

I would tap the hole and install a bolt then cutoff and file flush then using the end cap as a guide drill in the correct spot and install a timesert, or weld it and start over

• Like 1

That looks like it's an insert between the inside and the outside and weld to the flange.

At this point you could either leave it and use 2 screws or you could re-tap this by determining the next size up tap, then drilling carefully and straight through with a good new drill bit. Check the existing hex bolt to determine if its metric and make sure you can get the correct tap, hex bolt or another bolt for the hole you tap.

IMO this is harder to explain that to do if you have access to a have decent shop

I don't know whether, if I tap it out, it will be offset or the tap will find its center. I don't actually own a tap and die set although I'm always happy to spend money on tools rather than shop labor. Might give it a try.

I would tap the hole and install a bolt then cutoff and file flush then using the end cap as a guide drill in the correct spot and install a timesert, or weld it and start over

I like this.

Ya I'm a back yard mechanic but I do have friends with some awesome shops. i wouldn't pay some one to do this.

Depending on what kind of shop you or you friends have, you could pull silencer and use a drill press to try and get a nice straight hole.

You don't have to buy a full tap/die set but it might be cheaper than just buying just the correct tap and handle.

I'm a bit anal and only having 2 bolts in there might bug me a bit. Someone else might chime in but I'm pretty sure tapping is going to be the only fix.

Good luck with this dude!

Get a correct ( smaller than bolt) size REVERSE drill bit and have at it . I had to search thoroughly at harbor freight for a reverse set after clerk told me no they don't have them.  Worked easily to get similar broken bolt in kickstart shaft.

Joe

10 year old bike stock muffler... I second the self drilling/tapping screw

Looks a little late for a left handed drill bit... if you are ocd like me when it comes to your bike and want to do a better job you could always just leave the remnants of the old bolt in, drill and tap to the closest size up. I have a $30 autozone tap and die kit set I've been using atleast once a week at work for the past year (and 95% of the time it's the same 6x1.0 tap and die) that has served me just fine you don't have to spend a ton.

Edited by problem_child
  • Like 1

All good suggestions. Thanks! I'll report back if actually do something :)