Sign in to follow this  

Tried drilling out a bolt, made a mess of it....help?

Yes drill our a bit and use next size self tapper or drill out and use bolt and nut on back side

The good, the bad (and I'm ugly).📎IMG_0281.JPG📎IMG_0282.JPG

I would tap the hole and install a bolt then cutoff and file flush then using the end cap as a guide drill in the correct spot and install a timesert, or weld it and start over

I am a Machinist / Millwright and have fixed a lot of parts. Nothing you do will ever make you happy unless you fix it right. Do as mec500 has stated. Self tapping screws or tapping out larger will never line up with the cap so if you ever pull it again you will cus it.

My advice is take it to a shop, it will not cost much to fix this as it will be easy in a shop. I would either thread a new bolt in and then find the new center or just plug weld it and find the new center. I always tell my friends when they bring bolts like this to me in the condition yours is that I wish you would have just brought it to me 1st as it would be easy for me to fix starting with it just broke. Now I am glad you brought it to me before you went any further as if you did it would cost a case of beer.

Bottom line it is still an easy fix for a guy with the right tools. If you mess it up further before taking it to said guy it may end up actually costing. Make sure you take him the end cap as well.

• Like 2

Great advice from someone who is a Machinist / Millwright 👍

As I posted I am a back yard mechanic but some of the things I've learned is to try and prevent stuff liking happening if the first place....

And really this is only a flange on your silencer BUT imagine how bad this could have been if it was a critical bolt on your motor..

So......

Get a good quality bolt kit or use quality hardware.

When you remove hardware clean everything. I use small wire brushed, cans of compressed air, cleaning fluid etc..

If the hardware looks damaged, replace with new hardware

I don't use a torque wrench unless it is critical but as a rule of thumb, tighten less than you think you need.

Anti seize or Loc-tite as per your manual.

Then the correct amount of beer works extremely well when you need an actual mechanic

Edited by filterx
  • Like 2

1, Go to harbor freight and get a screw extractor set

2. Go to NAPA and get a heli-coil kit for the correct size bolt

3. Extract the old bolt

4. Hopefully you can use a drill press to drill out for the heli-coil to get centered on the original threads

5. Tap for the heli-coil

6. Insert heli-coil

7. File the heli-coil flush

• Like 1

3. Extract the old bolt

4. Hopefully you can use a drill press to drill out for the heli-coil to get centered on the original threads

5. Tap for the heli-coil

6. Insert heli-coil

This will not work and get the hole back on center. You will have to fill in what has happened thus far.

Even if you use a drill press at this time and get the bolt out you will not have anything for one third of the helicopter coil to hang on too. If you do not fill in the offset hole and get back on center you will never have a good repair.

This will not work and get the hole back on center. You will have to fill in what has happened thus far.

Even if you use a drill press at this time and get the bolt out you will not have anything for one third of the helicopter coil to hang on too. If you do not fill in the offset hole and get back on center you will never have a good repair.

For a point that carries no load it would work just fine

3. Extract the old bolt

5. Tap for the heli-coil

6. Insert heli-coil

I second this. You might be able to, once the old bolt is removed, drill out and tap to the next size up bolt. It's an exhaust not a cylinder head and heli-coils can be a pain to install some times.

Jb weld the head of the bolt back on. Have a buddy over to help you out. He brakes it, he fixes it. Or Jb weld the the bolt head on and sell the bike.