Sign in to follow this  

Dirt Bike test 100 hour tear down of the 250FX and WR250

It looks like they did the tear down on their fx. I would like to have seen the inside of their wr that they rode with no coolant.

That's pretty darn impressive for such a punchy 250.

Go Team Blue.

Did they mention what type of oil was used? How long the oil change intervals were? The lack of ring wear is pretty impressive!

Edited by Gunner354

Go on that website and ask Jimmy lewis your questions, he will answer you.

The manufactures really have us brain washed with the number of hours thing.  So 100 hours, say all woods riding and average of 15 mph, so that is 1,500 miles.  Or 20 mph ave, so 2000 miles.

Yes these are high performance 250cc 4 strokes, but can you imagine if a new XR250 way back in the day had a suggested tear down and rebuild of 1500-2000 miles!  Geez, most guys were changing oil every 1000 miles, not pistons/rings!  

Seems to me a high quality trail bike should go ~10,000 miles before you need to take the engine apart for any work.  But guess those days are long gone ... :(

• Like 2

nice test. i have wanted to see this done to all bikes . i am curious how this would apply to the yz250f. with it being a little more pumped up. oil, filter  and air filter type plus intervals would be the cherry on top for this great test. thank you.

The manufactures really have us brain washed with the number of hours thing.  So 100 hours, say all woods riding and average of 15 mph, so that is 1,500 miles.  Or 20 mph ave, so 2000 miles.

Yes these are high performance 250cc 4 strokes, but can you imagine if a new XR250 way back in the day had a suggested tear down and rebuild of 1500-2000 miles!  Geez, most guys were changing oil every 1000 miles, not pistons/rings!  

Seems to me a high quality trail bike should go ~10,000 miles before you need to take the engine apart for any work.  But guess those days are long gone ... :(

i am looking for a reliable replacement for my 2010 rmx450, i thought the yam was a contender, my rmx has over 1500 hours and the motor hasnt been apart yet, but im not going back to an xr250!, probably stay with rmx. 

No one is stopping you from buying a bike like you are describing. They still make them.

If you don't want to do the maintenance don't buy the bike. And even further, I'm sure a bike of equal performance the reliability has gone up...

The manufactures really have us brain washed with the number of hours thing. So 100 hours, say all woods riding and average of 15 mph, so that is 1,500 miles. Or 20 mph ave, so 2000 miles.

Yes these are high performance 250cc 4 strokes, but can you imagine if a new XR250 way back in the day had a suggested tear down and rebuild of 1500-2000 miles! Geez, most guys were changing oil every 1000 miles, not pistons/rings!

Seems to me a high quality trail bike should go ~10,000 miles before you need to take the engine apart for any work. But guess those days are long gone ... :(

These bikes put out just a wee bit more jam than the older low stress engines. Things last a lot longer when they aren't pushed to the limits like the new ones are.

I love the new bikes but all this technology comes at a price.

I have 9K into my FX.

How many kids in their teens or 20's can afford that unless they have a rich daddy?

I think that's why alot of the riders I see have grey hair if they have any.

• Like 2

I got to ride with the DBT team Preston & Jimmy put together for the Glen Helen 24hr race - the same YZ250FX they tore down in this article. The motor felt surprisingly strong throughout the race and already had about 80+ hours of ride time on it - no changes to internal components just oil & air filters.

I was pretty impressed even though I personally ran into some trouble (lack of talent maybe? Bumped my head.) and didn't get to ride as much as the other guys - but it was enough to galvanize me into getting one. 

• Like 4

I love the new bikes but all this technology comes at a price.

I have 9K into my FX.

How many kids in their teens or 20's can afford that unless they have a rich daddy?

I think that's why alot of the riders I see have grey hair if they have any.

I'm only 33, I never had new bikes growing up. I had used ones...

No kid "needs" a new bike...

I'm only 33, I never had new bikes growing up. I had used ones...

No kid "needs" a new bike...

I'm 35 and my FX is my first brand new dirtbike.

I had to wait until I could pay cash for one. There's not a chance I'd make payments on something that is subjected to the conditions on offroad motorcycle is.

Does anyone feel as though 100 hours isn't really that much ?  That is 2 or less years of riding for me.  Might even be a single year, depending on my schedule.

The connecting rod wear  bothers me, because you'd have to split the cases and the crank to fix it.  That isn't something I'd want to do myself.

Did I read that the 2016 YZ250F got a revised connecting rod for better durability ?  Would this be applied to the 2016 FX ?

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

No matter if a bike has 50, 100 or for 200+ hours of use,

it really comes down to how hard it is ridden and how well it is maintained.

Edited by mlatour