Sign in to follow this  

Oficially an 08 RMZ 450 Owner! Help needed..

So i bought today an 08 RMZ 450. The bike pour's water out of the overflow.. I removed the radiator cap and accelerated de bike smoothly and water rises up. So might this be a faulty head gasket?

Sounds like a faulty radiator cap. Drain the oil and if it is milky then your head gasket is blown. If it is clean, replace the rad cap.

Note: Do not mistake clutch shed for milky oil. If it is particulate from your clutch it will be shiny, silver looking. It is normal for your clutch fibers to shed as they wear. 

• Like 1

Sounds like a faulty radiator cap. Drain the oil and if it is milky then your head gasket is blown. If it is clean, replace the rad cap.

Note: Do not mistake clutch shed for milky oil. If it is particulate from your clutch it will be shiny, silver looking. It is normal for your clutch fibers to shed as they wear.

So i got the old oil out and it was this color.. Look's to me like it's mixing water with oil.. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1448139638.503768.jpg

I think it's burning it.. Because i changed the radiator cap and it doesn't pour out of the overflow hose.

I bet she need's the waterpump seal's replaced.

Just replace the head and base gasket and the water pump gasket and seal. Gaskets and seals are pretty cheap and super easy to do. It's not like it's a car that your replacing head gaskets on. The bike should take about a hour to do all of them

Edited by AdamW21
  • Like 1

Just replace the head and base gasket and the water pump gasket and seal. Gaskets and seals are pretty cheap and super easy to do. It's not like it's a car that your replacing head gaskets on. The bike should take about a hour to do all of them

That's exactly what i'm going to do. I need to get my valves adjusted tho.. The bike takes like 10 kick's to start. And she shut's down automatically when i'm riding it.

That's exactly what i'm going to do. I need to get my valves adjusted tho.. The bike takes like 10 kick's to start. And she shut's down automatically when i'm riding it.

The 08's are known to be hard to start have you checked the valves to see if they are tight ? Tight valves won't make the bike cut off when your riding it. Valves actually get looser when they are hot from you riding not tighter when hot. That's why a bike with bad valves is hard to start because cold they are tighter and not working right and when it's hot they loosen up which lets you kick start it

On my 08 I have to do it just right to fire it up.

If cold, i pull the choke(?) And find tdc, and give a full kick. It will just barely fire. Then push the chike in, find tdc and give a full kick with a little throttle. In a race it sucks bc you have make sure your at tdc if you stall, but it works

• Like 1

On my 08 I have to do it just right to fire it up.

If cold, i pull the choke(?) And find tdc, and give a full kick. It will just barely fire. Then push the chike in, find tdc and give a full kick with a little throttle. In a race it sucks bc you have make sure your at tdc if you stall, but it works

Just to add to that, once you find TDC with the kickstart lift the kickstart a little bit and then slowly press down until you feel it clunk, this wont move TDC but gives you more kick starter gear engagement/motor revolution and it should fire right up first time 

• Like 2

Just to add to that, once you find TDC with the kickstart lift the kickstart a little bit and then slowly press down until you feel it clunk, this wont move TDC but gives you more kick starter gear engagement/motor revolution and it should fire right up first time

Btw what spark plug are you guy's running? Number?