Sign in to follow this  

Adding a link to my chain...

Hey guys.

I've got a motion pro chain breaker. Trying to get my wheelbase longer with a 51tooth sprocket on a 13 350SXF.

So I get a new chain. At one length, the chain is too long and axle blocks are all the way back, chain doesn't have enough tension.

The next link out where I can use the master to go back in, (don't know if you say link is two sections or one) the wheel is back to where it is with my previous chain.

So... I guess I can't do what I want with a 51tooth sprocket?

Do I have to go to a 48 or whatever was stock and start revving the shit out of it in 2nd?

And... Now that ive added that link back in, using the chain breaker, is that fine. It is pressed through ok, the link feels tighter than the others tho...

I'm not following what you did. The only way to lengthen a chain is to use a "half-link" and 2 master links which is adding 2 links essentially. Again, not sure what you did by pressing another link in but if you pushed a pin through with a chain breaker then that is not ok, at a minimum you'd need to hit it with a staking tool to swedge the pin over to keep it from coming out but that's not a normal thing to do. Post some pics do we can see toy what you did but it doesn't sound like something you should ride on. The link should not be too tight regardless. Breaking a chain or having one come apart while riding can go bad in any number of ways and it's not worth risking it.

Maybe use 13 front with a different rear

Cheers guys. 

As it happened, I went to a 48tooth sprocket and just used 2nd everywhere! haha...

Didn't trust the chain with the link back in and didn't matter at my old gearing... so now I guess I have a brand new back up chain the same length. Not all bad. Could have done without the 45min walk to the bike shop in 42°C the other day tho!

Cheers again.

Cheers guys. 

As it happened, I went to a 48tooth sprocket and just used 2nd everywhere! haha...

Didn't trust the chain with the link back in and didn't matter at my old gearing... so now I guess I have a brand new back up chain the same length. Not all bad. Could have done without the 45min walk to the bike shop in 42°C the other day tho!

Cheers again.