Sign in to follow this  

2001 and earlier shock difference?

Aloha all,

Purchased a "2001 YZ250" shock from eBay and had it sent to Factory Connection for a rebuild/revalve/respring, got it on Thursday.  I had ordered new bearings and seals for the top and bottom while waiting.  Upon recieving the shock, I realized it must be a 2000 or earlier shock because the bottom bearing is different from what I ordered for my 2001 bike.  It has a spherical bearing in the bottom rather than the needle bearing I ordered.  The parts fiche shows the spherical bearing is a common part across 1994-2000 shocks, while the 2001-2004 bikes use the same needle bearing.  Luckily, the spherical bearing is the same part number as the upper spherical bearing, and the upper bearing in my rebuilt shock looks like it was recently replaced, along with the seals.  I'll use the parts I purchased for the 2001 upper bearing to replace the lower. 

This poses a couple questions:

1) Is there any way to ID the shock externally?  I see a date code or something stamped above the lower bearing, "F987".  There are also a few characters faintly cast into the bridge between the main body and reservoir, looks like it says "97I".  Looks like it was hand engraved into the mold.

2) Are there any major performance or other physical differences between a 2001 or pre-2001 shock (ie. length, shaft diameter, valving, etc)?  There don't seem to be nearly as many details about shocks as there are about forks online, so it's hard to tell.

Gonna try to get the Factory Connection goodies put under the bike tomorrow for Sunday, we'll see how it goes!

Thanks,

Trevor

I know this is an old thread, and no one may notice...

i have a 2000 yz250 and I got the spherical bearing for my lower shock. The bearing is 1/16th too big to fit. It would work if in the upper hole (that is already new)

do I have a 2001 shock?