Sign in to follow this  

Southern front range trails threatened

This aint good. All of Rampart & 717, I'm not sure how far south but maybe to Penrose or beyond. Pretty much all southern front range trails.

Here it is in English:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_29130892/roads-forest-under-review

Here is the legalese (presuming it works...I'm travelling):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bl3gydkezltd37d/document_pm_01.pdf?dl=0

All trails/roads listed in Exhibit A are going to have to be examined by the FS within 5 years and a new MVUM created after that process.

The trails/roads listed in Exhibit B are likely, IMHO, gone. Their closure is within a year.

I didnt see reference to Exhibit C in the settlement, but perhaps missed it?

If you wanna ride in any of these areas, or if you want your kids or their kids to be able to, I suggest you contact our advocacy groups and see what you can do to help

Edited by dmac1
  • Like 1

Our advocates will be meeting tomorrow with the FS and there will be public meetings, opportunities to comment, etc in the not too distant future. I suggest everyone who likes to ride front range trails do what they can when the opportunities arise.

I believe that informed and respectful comments will have the most impact. Remember, we are dealing with well funded opponents and 'our' side is operating on a shoestring budget.

• Like 1

Dave, thanks for posting this. The environmentalists really have no vision of reality other than their own. Exhibit A is dated 1/7/2010, and I believe many of the areas listed have already had MVUM's updated or have been "analyzed" since then.

Edited by redhurricane

This appears promising, but details will be very important. Many of the closure miles were .5 miles or less, and possibly dead end FS roads. I am not sure they would have the means to close connecting FS roads, trails, etc. Let me know what you find out.

http://earthjustice.org/sites/default/files/102-ORDER-settlement-dismissing-pike_0.pdf

Edited by redhurricane

Hey Mike.  Yep...16 miles of dead end trails are slated for closure...some perhaps temporarily.

I'm in direct contact with TPA and will provide info of action us front-range riders can take...and perhaps even those in other areas too. I know that I help support keeping other areas open and hope that they will help us too if possible.

We'll have to attend meetings, serve as liasions directly with the 6 forest service areas and provide comments.  The more involvement we can muster the better for sure.

Heres a snippet from the last email I received:

"....I cannot stress enough how important this will be for our sport.  The TPA needs to know what individuals and organizations will take on the responsibility for their local FS DR’s.   If we do not take on this task, the risk of losing current and any new OHV routes is significant...."

If anyone wants to contact me directly to volunteer or whatever, please feel free to PM me.

Dave

Dave and Mike, I'm in for whatever support needs to be done. I can attend FS meetings etc. 

G

Dave and Mike, I'm in for whatever support needs to be done. I can attend FS meetings etc. 

G

Sounds great!  I'll post up what I learn.

Edited by dmac1

I knew that my favorite local riding area was heavily impacted by this, but I wasn't sure of the scope of what else, so I spent my evening pouring over Exhibit A and comparing it to the associated MVUMs. What a task! There is no way I can find all the roads and trails in one evening, but I found enough to be able to make some sense of what all is challenged. I focused mostly on the trails.

Remember, the contents of Exhibit A are not subject to closure within 1 year, but an EA must be done within 5 years to justify them remaining open. I don't know what timetable the FS will shoot for.

Here's my findings (please correct or add to if desired):

The challenged roads and trails run from Rampart on the NE, all the way south to Rainbow Trail on the SE and they include some roads near the top on the west side of Kenosha Pass, and it goes all the way south to near Salida where a number of roads are listed.

• Rampart seems to mostly escaped unscathed as only some southern spur roads are impacted.
  • All trails in the 717 area are included as are a number of roads.
  • A bunch of stuff at Rainbow Falls is included.
  • Lot of trails and roads at Lake Isabel Rec area is included.
  • Some roads by Antero Junction are included as are roads by Tarryall Reservoir.
  • The entirety of Rainbow Trail is included!!! (along with some neighboring roads)
  • I didn't see that the Penrose trails are impacted

Theres LOTS more, mostly roads. Hopefully, before we have to comment, someone more versed in the entirety of the trails and roads impacted can give us a complete picture, but hopefully this helps.

The 6 impacted Ranger Districts are:
Leadville, Pikes Peak, Salida, San Carlos, South Park and South Platte.

The MVUMs are here:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/psicc/maps-pubs/?cid=stelprdb5177824#mvum

Dave

Edited by dmac1

Dave, thanks for posting this. The environmentalists really have no vision of reality other than their own. Exhibit A is dated 1/7/2010, and I believe many of the areas listed have already had MVUM's updated or have been "analyzed" since then.

You're right....the lawsuit has been in the works for a number of years.  There is mention in the Settlement that the routes listed in Exhibit A are the ones contested and the USFS is supposed to use the most recent MVUMs  as a baseline of existing routes and that baseline is supposed to be the no action alternative.  This per a and b on page 3 of the Settlement.

Rainbow, Isabel and 717 all need to be fought for. G

• Like 1

Rainbow, Isabel and 717 all need to be fought for. G

Agree, but whats at Isabel?  I've never been there. LOTS of roads and trails challenged there.

At least one of the FS districts will be putting out a new MVUM in about a month reflecting the Exhibit B trails as closed. I suspect all districts will be doing the same. The primary impact of closing short spur roads will be to restrict dispersed camping opportunities. There are lots of them that will be at least temporarily closed along southern Rampart Range Road..

Edited by dmac1

Update:

The forest service has started a Q&A on this and they will expand them as questions come in. Whats not clear?  Ask em.  The Q&A is under Project Documents and there is a link for comments/questions on the right side.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/f...ZOMDcxT1RVODBJN0o2MTJQRDMwODQ!/?project=48214

At this point, the FS wants to hear our questions and suggestions. Examples of what they are hoping we can tell them:

• If you ride a particular area and think a certain road would be better off as a trail (perhaps its redundant) and if it were a trail, you could legally ride it with a sticker and you could make a nice loop with another trail;
  • If there is a trail that could be a nice loop if there were a connector of some sort to make it complete;
  • If there are roads or trails that are dangerous and should be revised or eliminated;
  • If there are some great overlooks that are being missed.

You get the idea...in general, they want to know what will make the areas better.

In the not too distant future, the FS will publish a Notice of Intent and likely a few months after that they'll publish another document upon which we can comment. NOTE: If you choose not to comment, any objections you may have later to the proposed approach will be disregarded.

Somewhat related:
There will be a meeting in Woodland Park next Wednesday where the FS will be presenting information relating to the Badger Flats area near Lake George. Apparently this area will be or is great for children. How is this related? The approach the FS will follow on the Badger Flats project will likely be the same followed on the Pike San Isabel (PSI) issue.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/psicc/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD485364

Dave, I need to retire so I can go to these things like you can. thanks for being our voice.

Hey Mike!  I hear ya...finally I can do something I'm actually interested in!!  LOL

Hopefully some of you have thought of some good comments for things we'd like to see improved upon in the impacted areas. I came up with a pretty good one for 717, but I'm not sure if posting them here is a good idea, so prolly best to keep your ideas to yourselves for now. Ya never know who is reading this and how they might turn something against us.

To that end, I'd like to come up with an email group that we could use to communicate with each other 'off line'.  You know....share ideas and such.  Please PM me if you're interested in joining such a group. Kinda like an email club.

Please be aware and not offended that, if I receive a PM from someone I don't recognize, I may ask for someone to vouch for them as legit. Just watching out for our interests ya know.

Please be aware that some may be from ADV.

Dave
Edited by dmac1

Asking again... 

RE: Pike/San Isabel Litigation - 500 miles of potential impact
(e.g. TRAILS at 717, Rainbow Trail, Rainbow Falls, Lake Isabel + more and tons of ROADS and CAMPING SPOTS)

If any of you want to join a group who will strategize on important points for when it is time to comment, please send me a PM with your email contact info. The idea is to combine our knowledge OFF LINE so that our comments will be as impactful as possible.

If I don't recognize your name, I may ask for confirmation that you ride.

Dave

• Like 1

Join the blue ribbon Coalition. They are our best bet at keeping trails open. A yearly membership is only 30 bucks per year. If everyone that rode trails would join we would never see another closed trail.

There will be opportunities to comment on the publications once the USFS has published them.

Currently, the USFS is receptive to any ideas we may have about what improvements we think could be made. For example, if a road has been closed or one is redundant, but if it were reopened and a new segment created, it could connect to an existing trail and make a nice loop. I can repost how to contact the USFS later, but its in this thread.