Sign in to follow this  

SSS Forks on my 2015 CRF450

Any techno guys here that can assist in the "science" of putting the Yamaha SSS suspension on my Honda? Fork Lug offset vs clamp offset ... length of forks etc?

Anybody at all tried this or done it or know anything about it? I really don't care for the air forks want to try a different set of forks.

Any other fork choices tried out there that work better than the air? I don't particularly like Showa but will listen. :)

Edited by bnyfe

Any techno guys here that can assist in the "science" of putting the Yamaha SSS suspension on my Honda? Fork Lug offset vs clamp offset ... length of forks etc?

Anybody at all tried this or done it or know anything about it? I really don't care for the air forks want to try a different set of forks.

Any other fork choices tried out there that work better than the air? I don't particularly like Showa but will listen. :)

The 2014 crf250 showa Spring fork are really good..and will go straight in

• Like 1

Also the KYB forks off the 09-12 crf450rs are very similar to the yamahas. I don't know why the mags ragged on them when they were on then hondas but they're gold to them on the yamahas.

• Like 2

10-14 CRF 250 forks fit and are abt 5mm lonnger which is what they did to the 16.Running a set off a 2011 250 on my 16 and with fork caps flush its like stock length of 16.
  • Like 1

Also the KYB forks off the 09-12 crf450rs are very similar to the yamahas. I don't know why the mags ragged on them when they were on then hondas but they're gold to them on the yamahas.

This is the first I have heard that the SSS forks are similar to the CRF KYB's. Could you please explain that? I was under the impression that the SSS were a unique design. I have both bikes in my garage right now but I haven't opened up the YZ yet.

Regarding the fork switch it's interesting to note that in 94 Suzuki had a great fork in the twin chamber Showa while Honda was struggling with the KYB. Roger DeCoster was between gigs as a race manager so Dirt Bike Magazine hired him. He took a set of Suzuki forks and grafted them onto the CR. The results weren't that great. The issue had to do with frame geometry but the experiment was worthwhile when the magazine was paying for it. I suggest that the OP find a set of 09-12 CRF450/10-14 CRF250 forks or get some A-kit forks.

Edited by Dklassen
  • Like 1

This is the first I have heard that the SSS forks are similar to the CRF Showas. Could you please explain that? I was under the impression that the SSS were a unique design. I have both bikes in my garage right now but I haven't opened up the YZ yet.

The 09-12 CRF450's KYB (not the Showas) suspension is actually very similar to the 06 + YZ- YZF's KYB's SSS with some minor internal differences.   I've posted this info in the suspension section as most members don't know, but Mog is one of the members who acknowledged it as he appears to be a suspension guru in that forum.  I've been very impressed with the KYB suspension on my 09 & 10 CRF450 models after a revalve / respring & feel it's not that far off an 07 CR250r Showa B-kit.

Edited by H4L
  • Like 1

If you want kyb spring forks o9-12 crf450. Still need a revalve they were off stock. The yz lugs are different ,and its a hassle to change them out. You could run the wheel brake, etc off a yz or make a custom axle to run honda front wheel in the yz forks still a lot of work for maybe nothing.

• Like 1

Can I ask why you don't like the air forks? I read all the rags and went in thinking I would hate them. Just a simple revalve and they work really well, probably better than anything else I have ever had. 2 things to note here I have a 13 with the psf forks and I ride off-road I read of MX. Only trouble I had was keeping fork seals in them but neoprene seal savers and SKF seals cured that problem. Also I have never had the issue of the pressure increasing during a race either. Maybe a half pound over a 2 or 3 hour race and, at my level (Vet B )it's not noticeable Edited by memphis2857
  • Like 2

Can I ask why you don't like the air forks? I read all the rags and went in thinking I would hate them. Just a simple revalve and they work really well, probably better than anything else I have ever had. 2 things to note here I have a 13 with the psf forks and I ride off-road I read of MX. Only trouble I had was keeping fork seals in them but neoprene seal savers and SKF seals cured that problem. Also I have never had the issue of the pressure increasing during a race either. Maybe a half pound over a 2 or 3 hour race and, at my level (Vet B) it's not noticeable

hi .. thank you for asking...the forks aren't so bad but I find them to be harsh over braking bumps and anything like that. they really don't seem very plush in the first half of the stroke. I'm a vet too who doesn't race anymore. I'm not sure what class I would be in at this stage in my life but no matter the track, I am typically in 3rd pinned or 4th in the power with stock gearing. I jump everything but expert level triples. I find the bike a bit too busy for my liking too. However, I do love this Honda over all!! 

I use maxima sc1 detailer on my forks and shock shaft before each ride and then wipe it off with a clean paper towel leaving only a thin layer. The seals on my suspension, on any of my bikes in the last 12 years, have never leaked.

Edited by bnyfe

The 09-12 CRF450's KYB (not the Showas) suspension is actually very similar to the 06 + YZ- YZF's KYB's SSS with some minor internal differences.   I've posted this info in the suspension section as most members don't know, but Mog is one of the members who acknowledged it as he appears to be a suspension guru in that forum.  I've been very impressed with the KYB suspension on my 09 & 10 CRF450 models after a revalve / respring & feel it's not that far off an 07 CR250r Showa B-kit.

thank you for your response and info! I love KYB!

Edited by bnyfe

hi .. thank you for asking...the forks aren't so bad but I find them to be harsh over braking bumps and anything like that. they really don't seem very plush in the first half of the stroke. I'm a vet too who doesn't race anymore. I'm not sure what class I would be in at this stage in my life but no matter the track, I am typically in 3rd pinned or 4th in the power with stock gearing. I jump everything but expert level triples. I find the bike a bit too busy for my liking too. However, I do love this Honda over all!!

I use maxima sc1 detailer on my forks and shock shaft before each ride and then wipe it off with a clean paper towel leaving only a thin layer. The seals on my suspension, on any of my bikes in the last 12 years, have never leaked.

Gotcha. I had Racetech do my suspension front and rear and it really settled the bike down. Also no more harshness. The problem I had on the stock forks was they deflected off the roots and rocks really bad. I never ride MX so idk what my current setup would be like on the track. I have done some GP stuff (MX without jumps lol) and it turns unlike anything else and soaks up braking bumps really well. Anywho enough about me and my bike. Good luck on your fork swap.
  • Like 1

IMO the 48mm Showas found on the 10-14 CRF250's are excellent and if I were you I'd pick up a set on ebay for cheap and have them valved and sprund for the 450. The stock KYB rear shock your 15 is actually pretty good.

thank you for your response and info! I love KYB!

bnyfe - I remember seeing one of your posts a while back about your 15.   Why not give FC a try to set up the air forks ?   If I had the air forks I'd be sending them to have them revalved along with the shock to them.  They are a reputable company & would think by now they would have some R&D under their belt with the air forks.  For me after having good suspension thru the years I wouldn't even run the stock stuff knowing how much better it can be with a revalve & respring if needed on the shock.    

Edited by H4L
  • Like 1

bnyfe - I remember seeing one of your posts a while back about your 15.   Why not give FC a try to set up the air forks ?   If I had the air forks I'd be sending them to have them revalved along with the shock to them.  They are a reputable company & would think by now they would have some R&D under their belt with the air forks.  For me after having good suspension thru the years I wouldn't even run the stock stuff knowing how much better it can be with a revalve & respring if needed on the shock.    

My stuff went to FC after a fews hours of seat time. It's, by far, light years ahead of stock but it's just too harsh for my taste. The shock works pretty amazing and the bottoming resistance on the fork is phenomenal! But the fork is real harsh in the first 50 percent of the stroke. Gonna try a couple of things they suggested recently. I am not really very good at setting stuff up so I definitely need their help. :)

Edited by bnyfe
  • Like 1

all modern suspension is speed sensitive, yamaha just trademarked SSS

all modern suspension is speed sensitive, yamaha just trademarked SSS

Yes ... and ALL modern 4 stroke motors are 4 strokes, yamaha just trademarked theirs

My stuff went to FC after a fews hours of seat time. It's, by far, light years ahead of stock but it's just too harsh for my taste. The shock works pretty amazing and the bottoming resistance on the fork is phenomenal! But the fork is real harsh in the first 50 percent of the stroke. Gonna try a couple of things they suggested recently. I am not really very good at setting stuff up so I definitely need their help. :)

The customer service has been great for me from FC.   After the last 2 CR/CRF's done they actually called me before I called them to check on the settings & they gave me some feedback on what to change if needed.  I would work with them on the recommendations given & would think worst possible case scenario you would need to send your forks back.  I have no experience with the air forks,  but based on some feedback on this forum they seem to work once set up right.   That seems to be the key for me if I do end up with a 450 with air forks I would exhaust my options first before going to the spring forks.  

Depending on your patience level I would suggest working with FC before giving up on them.  Just my $.02        

• Like 1

Harsh isn't part of the vocabulary after fc reworked my air forks. Very happy with how they work.

Stock, not so much

• Like 1

Harsh isn't part of the vocabulary after fc reworked my air forks. Very happy with how they work.

Stock, not so much

Do you use them offroad? Do the settings last all day?

Do you use them offroad? Do the settings last all day?

Mostly motocross. Some desert and single track.

When I practice no problems. 20-30 min motos.

Hard to say on race day because the track deteriorates horribly.

I have found better settings rough track vs freshly groomed, but I have settled on one setup for the most part. Seems like a good compromise. Pretty close to fc's baseline settings.

This is my first experience with fc and air forks. I am extremely happy.

My buddy sent in his 15 ktm450 suspension after my experience and has been extremely happy also.

Don't over think the kyb's. Get the spring set correctly (air pressure) and leave it alone. Use clickers for fine tuning.