Sign in to follow this  

Best timing position for 2 stroke AX

Completed my complete top and bottom end on my sons Kx 85 thanks to all that helped. My son will be racing in a AX series and recently during practice sessions he complained of the bike being sluggish at the bottom end. I realigned the power valve cuz it had moved probably during install. My question is I'm now looking for the best timing adjustment for him. He is an average aggressive rider and I know this is a broad question but just looking for a little advice. I have it set now at the mark to the bottom in the attachment I included. Thanks for any advice.

1448112661538.jpg

Unless you have modified the top end your best bet is to set it to the standard setting.

You need a dial indicator to properly set the timing on a 2 stroke. Retarding the timing will take away some of the mid range it and increase over rev. This gives the bike a smoother and more linear feeling. Advancing the timing will give better low end grunt and a harder hit, but signs off early up top. BEWARE that advancing the timing too far will cause detonation and catastrophic engine failure. Retarding the timing too far will cause the engine to run very hot and will also cause engine damage.