Sign in to follow this  

Steering Stabilizer? 99CR250

So dad brought my old bike from up north to down here in Texas. Problem is this bike has pro taper triple tree and bars. Everything is hard mounted. I'm an extremely athletic guy, I can run 5 miles and do inverted spins on a wakeboard. After about 2 laps on this thing I have arm pump all the way up to my armpits. It's crazy. I have an 08 crf450x that I can ride all day with no problem, but it's rubber mounted AND steering Stabilizer. Any suggestions? Can a stabilizer be mounted somehow on a bike of this vintage?

1448113464533.jpg

Sorry not sure what happened to rotation and of course it won't let me edit the photo.

1448113550058.jpg

Arm pump is usually caused by hanging on with your arms too tight. Like using your upper body to hold you up under braking (like a pushup) & then hanging from your arms under acceleration (hanging from a pull up bar). Get more of your legs involved so you can loosen your grip. Under braking, use your lower back to hold you torso back & under acceleration, use your abs to keep your torso leaned forward. Squeeze with your thighs in both situations.

Basically slow down a bit & practice technique. 10 laps on a moto track are more tiring than trail riding all day.

Also, make sure your bikes suspension is dialed in. Too slow on the rebound or too stiff on the compression can make the bike feel harsh & cause a rider to start death gripping the bike.

Make sure you have the race sag set too. If the back of the bike is too high, the bike will be twitchy causing the rider to death grip.

Edited by KPRacing
  • Like 1

I agree with KP.  Get the suspension setup for your weight WITH full riding gear on...springs, sag, and clickers in the factory position are a good start.  Write down on a notepad your reb and comp settings and ride your bike.  Make small adjustments and only do one adjustment at a time(reb or comp) and ride the bike again.  Write down everything you do and what the bike felt like after all your adjustments.  This takes time but pays off in the end.  I 2nd the riding style also.  Standing up has lots of advantages.  Best advice I got was to let the bike float under you.  When I was getting pump bad I wasn't covering the brake and clutch with one finger.  This was making it easier for me to put a death grip on the bars.  Covering the brake and clutch helped me loosen my grip.  I have the manual for my 98 if you need any of the comp/reb stating points, spring rates, sag, etc. 

I also agree with the above comments, but also have to say that just the natural delivery of the 2 stroke engine power is a common factor with arm pump compared to the 450X. It is training and a completely different exercise on a motocross track, than woods riding on fast trails.. Every second you can find to take a break of your grip while riding will help quite a bit to relax those muscles.