2016 450 SXF EU - first ride

Got it yesterday. 187cm 88kg, pretty fast B-rider.

- Mounted 6mm lower foot pegs

- My 2015 top triple clamp with PHDS

- Oversize front brake

- Neken handlebar (3mm higher, 38mm sweep).

- Waiting for my 20mm high seat, will arrive in Dec.

- Mounted the shorter/quicker throttle cam

- Removed 40 oil (20cl from each leg) So 180 instead of 200cl (had ridden a 350 2016 EU with 20 less oil before)

- Forks on first line (2.5mm from flush)

- Did not touch clickers

- 112/25mm SAG.

Damn this bike is different from 2015. Compact, turns good as hell. Noticed the ground clearance is 20-30mm more then on my 2015 SXF 450 SXF, and wheel base is shortest it can be.

Changes i will do:

- I will change to 1 step lighter spring in rear, rides a bit to high. KTM has really &%$#@!ed up the spring rate recommendations, not even close as you can see.

- Go to 50 rear sprocket. Was not as much ump as in my 2015

- Go to longer chain to increase wheel base 10mm. Will see how the 50 sprocket matches number of links on the chain.

Ok now i know why i brought a softer spring. Yesterday at the track something must have been wrong when i measured.

- Measured in the shop, got 40/104 with 0mm preload on stock spring (48nm). Was 7-8kg light in the store (less gas in tank, + only 4kg in weight as replacement for gear)

- Measured today with the 48nm, full racing gear and got 30/101 with 4mm preload

- Mounted the 45nm, got 111/33 full racing gear with 5mm preload.

The 33 im not so worried about, since the linkage is completely new. It will settle some and give some extra mm after 2-3h more. Recommended is 38/110 with 5 preload.

Will edit my first post.

On the 250 I weigh 72kg and had to go to a 38 nmm to get decent sags

I found 105mm is the sweet spot for me

They really &%$#@!ed up the ratings. I mean, with that stiff rear it will preload the front a lot and make the forks feel stiffer then they have to.

The US 15.5 450 came with a 48 shock spring and was on the soft side for 92 kg . The power was tame till around hour 6 and with a pipe it rips now . How are you liking the forks ?

Forks are good, have ridden them on a 350 earlier. Only got like 3 15min sessions on them.

I dont get how they can be to soft on 92 kg. With 110/40 it would be impossible to get so much difference in SAG between EU and US. US fork is also 10mm shorter, that means 110 is even more important since it adds weight to the front.

Did you have trouble mounting the 2015 top triple clamp? 

Thanks

Nope, fitted straight on. Also moved over my 2015 Power parts Aluminum G2 (?) quick throttle throttle and it fitted. The OEM 2015 did not fit on 2016.

Did riding both days in the weekend, love the bike. Settled in with 110 SAG with the 45 rear spring, (10.9 bar in fork), 50 rear sprocket (with 10mm longer wheel base), G2 quick throttle tube, Renthal Dual diamond grips (The ODI lock-on is way to narrow for me so get arm pump in 5 seconds). Aggressive map on sand, normal on hard packed.

Forks at first line (not flush, but will try that next weekend on real sand track) for when it was a bit sandier surface, and second line for more hard packed day 2. Also ran with the 6mm lower foot pegs.

Switched back to stock handlebar that was a bit lower then the one i moved from my 2015.

Now the bike turns easier then anything i had, and are stable as well.

So glad i chose the 450 and not the 350. Way to little "ump" in the 350 for me.

Edited by addeeriksson

Congrats on the new bike... Just wondering how many hours it'll take before you try (go back to) the stock spring???. Everyone I know (locally) including me, went softer initially , only to go back to the 48.

Edited by yzrider53

Congrats on the new bike... Just wondering how many hours it'll take before you try (go back to) the stock spring???. Everyone I know (locally) including me, went softer initially , only to go back to the 48.

I dont see why i should go back. If i need to go stiffer (that the clicks cant handle), i will have it revalved instead. Spring should be as soft as possible, otherwise you sacrifice traction. SAG is more or less perfect right now.

Even when i rode my friends 350, i could feel that the stock spring is to stiff specially for him at 72kg. If you dont get any preload on the spring, it aint good.

What was it you where trying to fix by going back to stiffer spring?

Edited by addeeriksson

I couldn't get the rear to stay up under accel or on jump faces with the 45, valving and clicker adj only made it nasty harsh when it got choppy rough under acceleration.

My sag numbers don't add up (2mm@105), but it seems to work...Strange???

Enjoy the new ride.

You have the us valving and he has euro ,they are very different

Are you sure they are different? Have asked KTM-dealer for the settings list for shock, hopefully get it tomorrow. That means i have to bring my shock as well to US in Dec and Feb, crap.