Sign in to follow this  

Do I see a chiropractor, my regular doc, or what?

2 weeks ago I had a high speed trail riding wreck, hit a root and basically rag dolled/endoed.  I landed hard on my right side with the bike on top of me.  I must have gotten my left hand caught up in the bars because a broken left wrist was my only left side damage.  Had surgery last week on that, pins, plates, screws, its all good now, no complaints.  MY problem is that 2 weeks later my right side and upper back are a spasming ball of pain.  Nothing was broken apparently, they did complete XRays at the ER and my ortho doc saw them and affirmed that nothing is broken.  So, where do I go from here?  I am going crazy because I am pretty fit and used to exercising and being active, I can barely move at this point.  Regular doc first, or chiropractor?

Growing up i was into football, powerlifting and bodybuilding. In my 30s my back was shot. About once a month i would get back spasms that would knock me off feet.

After suffering thru this for about 5 years i went to a chiropractor. He would pop my back and put me on some machine. It did absolutely nothing, chiropractors are snake oil salesman.

Finally went to a real doctor who put me on muscle relaxers and antiflamorty medicine. After this treatment it knock out my spasms for good.

Chiropractors are scam artists dont waste your money, go to someone that went to medical school.

• Like 2

I have had great relief from my chiropractor but he works directly with my ortho. My back is pretty beat from firefighting. Deep tissue massage works too. I had meniscus surgery and at PT I had deep tissue massage on my leg. I thought it was bullshit but by relaxing the IT band I got flexibility back quicker.

Everyone has different results with chiros but it works for me.

Finding the right chiropractor is a gamble,

In my experience over the years with a few chiropractors, perhaps only 1 out of every 5 of them have the right technique to help you in the long term.

Most will offer short term relief but the pain will still be a constant recurrence as they love seing you walk back into their office every few weeks...

With the right chiro you can gradualy recover and not require any later treatment, perhaps only a preventative visit every 6-12 months.

Also depends on the injury, each profession has their own specialty.

A chiro can 'un-lock' joints that are binding, making the physio therapist's treatments take effect sooner afterwards.

Edited by mlatour

I had L3/L4 fused 14 years ago. The area above and below surgery gets a lot of abuse from dirt bike riding. Both discs below are now bulged and when they touch the nerve I'am literally put to the ground. I go to a physical therapist to relax the muscles, which is very painful, but works. I don't take any pain relievers , just a little Naproxen (Aleve) the key for me is to stay in top shape w/ strong abs/ core.

Good luck

Yep as they say : "the fenders only get dusty when the bike stops moving"

When you reach your mid-40's injuries from the past start catching up with you,

if/when taking time off from your physical activities due to injury, it now takes more effort (and motivation) each time to get going again and get back in shape.

Importance to keep moving all the time, even if it's only taking long walks. And when you train at home or gym, keep in mind you are

not 20 y/o anymore trying to impress the girls with your big biceps, but rather work on your cardio/endurance which will be more beneficial to you.

I injured my back about 20 years ago (was a truck driver at the time), it took 10+ years afterward for the daily spasms and always recurring back problems to stop.

These days it's the pain in the rest of my body that's now showing me that other body parts took the toll by always compensating for the back issue. (hips, knees, shoulders etc.)

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Saw chiropractors for a long time. Provided some relief. Broke toes on bike. Had to wear stiff shoe that completely threw off my gaite. Significant Back pain resulted. Saw physical therapist for first time to deal with this. Incredible relief and results. Definitely suggest PT over chiropractic.

This is low hanging fruit.  Ask the guy/girl who operated on your wrist to look at it.  Then do what he/she says.

• Like 2

I've had excellent results with a chiropractor over the years. You gotta find a good one though. They're worth their weight in gold. If mine can't help me he refers me to another Doctor.

This is low hanging fruit.  Ask the guy/girl who operated on your wrist to look at it.  Then do what he/she says.

This is my third surgery in 3 years at Orthopedic Associates in Farmington, NM; labrum, clavicle and now wrist, and both my youngest sons have had dirt bike injuries treated there.  So, of course I trust their judgement.  Dr. Kloberdanz told me they don't do anything to do with backs, but to go see my regular doc and he can refer me out if need be.  Will call him first thing Monday.

Thank you for posting this dilemma - it is one that I receive often!  Chiropractors that are in tune with how important riding and racing is for you will be a tremendous asset to your overall health and performance ability.  Keep in mind that muscles move bones, so you will need to find a good sports massage therapist and a good sports chiropractor.  Think about this circle of performance: muscle pull bones out of alignment (as does impact issues specific to riding should you hit a tree or the ground).  You can massage the tissue all day long, but if the bones are out of alignment, you will continue to experience pain.  Now reverse the cycle, you can adjust and place bones back in place; however, if the muscles are tight, they will pull the bones back out of alignment.  

It is for this exact reason that you need a combo of a good chiro and an experienced massage therapist.  The doctor has the insight to direct the massage therapist and then what needs to be done to get you back to 100% quickly is in place.  

Yes there are some chiro's out there that earn them the reputation that they have, so ask at your local bicycle or running shop who they recommend and personally use.  Please keep me posted if you have any other questions.

-Coach Robb

blogentry-404843-0-05581000-1438367297.g

• Like 1

Definitely suggest PT over chiropractic.

I had some low back trouble last year and went to see a local chiro who is also a pt and sports medicine guy. Between his advice and treatment and my research, i managed to get my S-I joints moving again, fixed the problem.

It's plausible that the OP has changed something in the way he sleeps or rests due to having to favor the injured wrist. Figuring out the right exercises and stretching may be the key to making it stop hurting.

• Like 1

This is my third surgery in 3 years at Orthopedic Associates in Farmington, NM; labrum, clavicle and now wrist, and both my youngest sons have had dirt bike injuries treated there.  So, of course I trust their judgement.  Dr. Kloberdanz told me they don't do anything to do with backs, but to go see my regular doc and he can refer me out if need be.  Will call him first thing Monday.

I don't know which side of the river you live on but David Giacalone in vernon is a very good chiropractor. I used to work nearby and get treatment at lunchtime.

Chiropractic is essentially as effective as therapeutic massage for pain relief. Massage is almost always cheaper, but not always. Very first thing is to make sure nothing is broken, right? That would be my first stop. If I was sure nothing needed surgery, it would be massage and therapeutic PT all the way for me.

• Like 1

Went to my regular doc on Monday.  I have severely bruised ribs and a host of sore muscles attached to those ribs.  He gave me some flexeril and some anti-inflammatories.  One thing he did say, too, was he would definitely not recommend getting adjusted at this point.  I've been stretching and walking, and started running again yesterday.  Feeling much better, at least I can move, but I guess bruised ribs take just as long as broken ones to heal.