Sign in to follow this  

Yes, another seat thread....

I know.  Not another seat thread.  Here's what I'm thinking.  I'm taking a trip next Spring, riding my DRZ from Chicago to North Carolina/Tennessee.  My friend that I'm going with rides a big Harley, so I'll be buzzing along trying to keep up.  He's pretty relaxed though, so we can keep it to 65ish.  I just put new 705 Shinko tires on and a 41 tooth rear sprocket to drop the highway revs a little.  65 should be pretty easy to maintain.  Outside of figuring out the route and what to pack, the biggest limiting factor to doing lots of seat time is the seat itself.  Now, I have only ridden maybe 50 miles on it, and it hasn't bothered me at all, but we're planning on doing 300+ miles the first 2 and last 2 days of our week long trip.  I've been considering seat covers, padded shorts, and finally came to the realization that I think my best bet will be a different seat.  And most of my findings seem to point me to the Seat Concepts seat - send my seat base in and have them put the new cushion/covering on (unless you guys tell me that it's super simple to do yourself).  The next decisions come down to what height and what covering.  Right now, even though it'll make the tall bike even taller, is to go with the tall seat with the gripper covering.  I'm 5'10" and weigh 170 with a 32" inseam.  So even with the stock seat I'm definitely not flat-footing it.  How much taller would it be with any of the 3 seat concept seat heights?   It's likely not a big deal as I use it exclusively on the street now, and any off roading would be easy gravel roads and such.  I'm thinking the tall might straighten out my legs a little too, which will make the long slab miles a touch more comfortable.  

Looking for thoughts, opinions, and real life feedback from those in the know.......YOU guys!

Thanks in advance,

Warner

Edited by webbie1

This was my DRZ with a Standard height Seat Concepts seat.

Fitting is not rocket science, if your patient and have half a brain, good stapler is required.

mms_img-354768805-1.jpg

Edited by Black_V-Strom
  • Like 1

I agree..the Seat Concepts in a definite improvement, but slabbing 300 miles is gonna be tough. If you can swing it, a wider option like the Fisher would be best. I wouldn't go taller than stock, but would rig up some sort of highway pegs instead. 

I have the seat concepts saddle on my KLX. As stated it is better than stock but I don't think 300+ mile day better. If you do go that route, I have a suggestion for packaging your seat pan. Go to the post office and get 3 of the tyvek business envelopes. Slide one on an end. Cut the bottom open on the second one and slide it over the pan. Tape it to the first one. Slide the third one over the other end and tape it to the cut one. Put a shipping label on it. Cost me $11 to ship from MI to CA. UPS wanted $40 plus packaging. Enjoy your ride down there! I have been thinking of taking mine down but would truck it down till I got to the good twisty roads.

• Like 1

I have no experience with any of the AM seats, but with the mileage you are intending on doing, a sheepskin pad over the AM seat might help.

I take it your Killswitch is working ok?

• Like 1

What are the sheepskin covers like? I've been thinking of getting one to extend the road range before my butt hurts. Do they just have elastic straps? Hoping someone can give a bit of feedback.

• Like 1

Warner you being a function over form type guy should really look into the Fisher Big Fish. Get the widest seat they make for the drz. I have a seat concepts and its better than stock but not 300 mile a day better!

http://www.fishersaddlebags.com/aftermarket_seats/suzuki/drz_400_esm_seats.html

Thanks Man....you are usually the voice of reason.  I think I'm going to order one of those Fisher Big Fish 12" seats.  Probably my best bet for the amount of miles I'm talking about logging.  Yeah, it's about $125 or so more than the Seat Concepts, but after doing a bunch of reading, it sure seems like the best comfort option......

Warner

• Like 4

I have no experience with any of the AM seats, but with the mileage you are intending on doing, a sheepskin pad over the AM seat might help.

I take it your Killswitch is working ok?

Yes sir.  Hahaha.  I just told the ole' killswitch story the other day.  I'm pretty sure you followed the thread all the way through, but the problem turned out to be the extreme angle that my fuel line was taking after replacing the stock fuel petcock with the Raptor one.  I learned my lesson.....yes, as goofy as it looks, route the 2 feet of fuel line all the way around the carb.....unless you want your bike to be fuel starved at highway speeds after the line warms up and kinks.  :)

Warner

• Like 3

If you're gonna dismantle the seat anyways, and you're cheap like me, try adding some foam yourself after you take the seat cover off, then staple cover back on and see what you think. It's not that hard

What are the sheepskin covers like? I've been thinking of getting one to extend the road range before my butt hurts. Do they just have elastic straps? Hoping someone can give a bit of feedback.

I'm not sure where and what guys are using. I would think a possibility might be a car seat cover cut down. Google is your friend...

If you're gonna dismantle the seat anyways, and you're cheap like me, try adding some foam yourself after you take the seat cover off, then staple cover back on and see what you think. It's not that hard

Ordinarily, I am cheap and willing to try things on my own. In this case though, I just want to buy something that's proven, from a company that's already done the countless hours of R&D and trial and error. Seat comfort is likely to be the weak link on this planned trip.

Warner

• Like 1

If you've never put a seat cover on before, now would be the perfect opportunity to learn to do it. You never know, you may have a hidden talent

• Like 1

If you've never put a seat cover on before, now would be the perfect opportunity to learn to do it. You never know, you may have a hidden talent

I have no doubts about my ability to do it. The part that I doubt is sourcing the correct components and shaping them correctly. This is one of those cases where I'm willing to go with the tried and true.

• Like 2

you could just get you a gel pad sewed into your drawers ... ive done alot of long rides on different bikes and it just gets uncomfortable after awhile .. you'll actually be thinking about how you could steer it with your feet before its over ... believe it or not, just to actually add something to the convo, if you could rig up a cheap throttle lock/cruise control so you can rest that arm and wrist it will help alot to ..

Edited by cowpie
  • Like 1

I have no doubts about my ability to do it. The part that I doubt is sourcing the correct components and shaping them correctly. This is one of those cases where I'm willing to go with the tried and true.

I confess, I got a Seat Concepts seat a couple months ago, it's nice, wish I had gotten the plush foam instead of standard. Prior to that, I went 5years with a stock seat with a number of computer mouse pads cut to fit, stacked on top of one another. It looked OK, but that material wasn't soft enough, but it was better than the stock seat

• Like 1

I think too, regardless of which seat you choose, Fisher, Seat Concepts or other, a genuine sheep skin top/cover would still be a good investment over sitting on vinyl for a long period.

• Like 1

And to add to this.... My "girly" input that may help you if you go this route Warner...

Not sure where you get your foam or whatever Dmouse... But if you all go to Hobby Lobby or a craft store with a fabric section... you can get the square foam pads that may be easier....the kind that fit in a couch cushion... Just a thought. And that should be a good size maybe too. My 2 cents!

Edit: didn't read all the post first.. Obviously! LoL anyways...this goes for anyone in the future of redoing their seats too!!

Edited by DRZadvKat01
  • Like 1

if most of your riding is on straight roads you could try using an airhawk. they are not great on a supermoto though due to sliding backwards and forwards but work really well when just cruising

And to add to this.... My "girly" input that may help you if you go this route Warner...

Not sure where you get your foam or whatever Dmouse... But if you all go to Hobby Lobby or a craft store with a fabric section... you can get the square foam pads that may be easier....the kind that fit in a couch cushion... Just a thought. And that should be a good size maybe too. My 2 cents!

Edit: didn't read all the post first.. Obviously! LoL anyways...this goes for anyone in the future of redoing their seats too!!

In this case, your girly input makes a lot of sense. I used to clean a bank after hours, and they had a big box of mouse pads, I "borrowed" a half a dozen to re-shape my seat, that's the story of where I got my foam from. Your idea to go to a craft store for foam is brilliant

• Like 2