Sign in to follow this  

09 crf 450r question

Recently bought a 09 crf 450 when its idle with choke on it tends to run high(cant think of another word to describe it) with choke off idles fine and sounds fine, when im riding it tends to pop/ bang on deceleration and and somtimes cuts out when it gets too slow and im trying to find the bite to get going again, it has a full fmf system etc any ideas as it is happening alot and i dont know wether its the bike or its me coz im a new rider lol thanks guys

That is a fast idle knob on the TB to help with starting & not a choke since it's not a carb.  The 09 + Honda CRF450r's came with EFI in case you didn't know.    Make sure your idle is set to at least around 1800 rpms once the motor has been warmed up.  It sounds like the map might be to lean to run efficient with with the aftermarket FMF exhaust system you have.   I'd suggest looking into to that & also get your self a service manual for your bike. 

Edited by H4L

09 is fuel injected so there's no choke.  just a fast idle which is used to start it when cold.

What fuel are you running?  What fuel did the previous owner run?

It important to ask these questions when you buy a bike.

Sounds like you need either a higher octane fuel and/or a remap of the ECU.

It still has the fuel in from previous owner, am i best taking it to a shop or is this able to do on your own? With minor experience of course, do any of you know how to change it to make it run abit richer? Also how do i find out what rpm it is currently running at? Thanks

Yes.  Find a reputable place in your area that would have a good map to work with that particular FMF system.   Unless you have the software & know what your doing it's best to have someone else that knows how do it.   For knowing the rpm range a good hr. meter with the rpm function will let you know as well as give you the hrs. for the regular service intervals. 

That is what the fast idle knob is supposed to do. Only used for cold starts.

The popping is "lean pop" and can be caused by an air leak at the throttle body or exhaust, or a bad map that isnt providing enough fuel. Not good.

The cutting out is called "flame out" and is a common problem with these bikes (especially bad on the 09) Running the idle at 2000-2200rpm helps. do a google on crf flame out and you will see its a big problem on these early FI bikes. There is a bunch of things that help, but it cant really be eliminated completely.

By when you say not good lol do you mean i have a bad problem or i just need to get it sorted as soon as?

Also is anyone from the uk and can provide me with someone reputable? As i am new to this sport lol just want this bike to run as it should grrr

I wouldn't recommend riding your bike till you get the lean cond. figured out.  Try & find a reputable tuner in your area to help since your new to the sport.   I had an 09 & ran it at 1800 rpms per the manual, but have seen members on this forum run the idle between 2K - 2200 rpms. 

Check out the works connection hour meter, its about $30 and will show you the rpm's, plus its essential to have for good maintenance. 

But yes, I would not ride it until you get it figured out.  If it is indeed lean that is not good for your motor and you could have some serious trouble on your hands.

There is a leak in the exhaust where the two parts of the exhaust connect does this affect the bike in any way? Do i need to sort this out and if so will this be easy to sort?

Thanks guys

That would be a good place to start on making sure the joints of the exhaust are sealed.   Make sure all the bolts to the exhaust system are torqued down snug to achieve a good seal at the joint.  I'm not familiar with that exhaust system so if there is some type of gasket that goes between the joints I'd replace it after trying the bolts first.  It might be something simple as that.

The FMF are a slip type connection, if there is a leak at start up it "should" go away as the pipe heats up and expands.  If not, then put a small bead of hi temp silicone gasket on it.  If you go to FMF's website you can download the manual for your pipe.

There is a leak in the exhaust where the two parts of the exhaust connect does this affect the bike in any way? Do i need to sort this out and if so will this be easy to sort?

Thanks guys

A leak in the exhaust will cause it to pop and have small backfires on deceleration... Make sure it is sealed well at the head with a new O ring gasket, and that the packing is good and the joints are sealed as well