Sign in to follow this  

Chest protector vs under jersey armor?

New guy here looking to buy some gear. What are the pro's and cons of going with a chest protector versus the under jersey body armor like the Fox Titan or this one from Fly?

360-9803.png?itok=7OhHC_Ui

I used to wear a Thor suit like that. Great protection, but can be dangerously hot to wear in extreme heat.

Get what fits you the best. 

If it doesn't fit right and fit comfortably, you're not going to wear it.

If you're not wearing it, it does you no good when you need it.

I went through a bunch of different chest protectors my first year or two riding.  Turns out the one that I like the best is the one I had all along, but never thought to wear on the moto...

Started off with a plastic roost guard .... Worked, but not very comfortable to wear all day.  Had two or three different brands, trying to find something that was more comfortable.

Bought a Thor Sentinel, I thought they sent me the kids version it was so small on me.  Returned that...

Tried an impact/pressure suit.  Felt and fit well, till I put on a pack and tried riding with it.  Glad I threw my other gear in the truck that night, because I made it about 5 minutes before I turned around and wore something else that night.

"Know what?  That Tekvest I wear on the snow fits well, it's comfortable enough to wear all day, works with a pack, and I bet if I run it a little looser than I do in the winter it'll stay cooler..."

Sold the rest of my motorcycle gear a week or two after I gave the Tekvest a shot on dirt.  I haven't worn anything else since.

P9250162-L.jpg

One is much hotter but has better protection. I ride in plastic 99+% of the time. If it's cold enough to wear a jacket I wear my rock garden armour. I might as well get protection from my insulation.