Sign in to follow this  

YZ 85 , KX100 OR CRF150r

I am 5ft 3 and have a crf80 and want a bigger faster bike i ride trails and track i want a bike with good power and a good seat height. witch one?

I have a yz125 and I'm 5'9 and I occasionally have trouble with the size, you would definitely not be comfortable and confident on a 125 2 stroke. I rode a yz 85 till I was about 5'7 140lb and it did great. I rode about 75% mx track and 25% trail and the yz 85 was amazing with both, but shined at the track. The 85 is bulletproof, it has crazy power, and will teach you how to ride a bigger bike better. It rips, it will do power wheelies in 3rd gear easily. I would definitely go with the 85 and get good on that and really be good when you move up. The kx100 would be good but they are not as popular so there probably aren't as much parts. And the 150r is good but it will train you to ride lazy and forget about your clutch. Go with the Yz 85 for sure!

• Like 2

From a CRF80 to a YZ85 seems like a good learning step, the power difference will surprise you...

a KX100 also has about the same seat height (34")

it's bigger wheels and larger displacement engine could be an advantage when trailriding/off-roading.

5'3" on a YZ125 would be problematic trying to put a foot down on the trail.

• Like 2

I say go for any 85 2 stroke. Cheap for what they are and will make you smile

My son moved from the kx 85 to the kx 100 this year. He said the 100 is easier to ride with the extra bottom end. The yz 85 is  a good track bike, but doesn't have the bottom end of the kx 100 or crf 150r. The extra bottom end would be a big plus in the woods.

Kx100. We have one that both my wife ( 5'1") and myself ( 5'10" 205lbs ) ride.

Kind of for a joke one day I took it out for a ride with the guys. We rode 40 miles of tight singletrack. I stuck with them the whole day and never fell behind. The kx100 would be a perfect transition bike before moving to a full size bike. Also there is a lot of aftermarket parts available for them since they share most of the 85 parts.

Don't make things uncomfortable. We're not hugging or anything.

• Like 1

Don't make things uncomfortable. We're not hugging or anything.

for clarity , this is a joke

I love the 105sx. Air filter cleaninf is super easy with the snap off cover. Only complaint is the clutch isnt the smoothest. Just doesn't roll smooth when shut off in gear, no big deal.

Just get the kx. I always hear bad stuff about ktm, kawasaki is established with 2 strokes and know what they're doing.

KTMs have far more experience with modern 2 strokes. They have a ton of 2ts and Kawi only makes 2..?

I love the 105sx. Air filter cleaninf is super easy with the snap off cover. Only complaint is the clutch isnt the smoothest. Just doesn't roll smooth when shut off in gear, no big deal.

KTMs have far more experience with modern 2 strokes. They have a ton of 2ts and Kawi only makes 2..?

What's the differnce between a modern 85/100cc 2Tengine and an older one? Not a lot  :rolleyes: .

BTW. Beta make the KTM mini engines. Have done for yrs. Not the 85cc. But you should get what I'm getting at   ;) .

Edited by AddictedToBling