Sign in to follow this  

Piston compression

Hi all.

I'm getting ready for a piston change and got a few questions.

What's the pros and cons of a high compression piston (cp carillo 14:5:1) over standard oem?

If I went with the high compression piston, would anything else need to be upgraded to accommodate it I.e crank, rod, valve springs etc.

Go easy on me, still learning.

Cheers

You might be required to run high octane race fuel to prevent detonation.

Could be extremely cost prohibitive in the long run.

Personally, I am not a big fan of ultra high compression pistons.  Yes, you get the added torque but it also changes the character of the motor a little with decompression braking etc.  Last time I used one it did ping for a few rides coming out of corners using pump gas but after that I never had a problem.  For me, the better solution is to use an oversize piston from ProX.  They make incremental oversize pistons from A to D, each size being about 4 / ten thousands larger.  Since Jap bikes come from the factory with loose pistons to begin with, replacing it with the same size (standard or high compression) isn't going to buy you much.  BTW, I am putting a C size in my motor tomorrow...

Hi all.

I'm getting ready for a piston change and got a few questions.

What's the pros and cons of a high compression piston (cp carillo 14:5:1) over standard oem?

If I went with the high compression piston, would anything else need to be upgraded to accommodate it I.e crank, rod, valve springs etc.

Go easy on me, still learning.

Cheers

Just run higher octane fuel and go for it.you won't look back.it will make a very noticeable difference

Just run higher octane fuel and go for it.you won't look back.it will make a very noticeable difference

I'm not sure how to do that in the uk, I use standard fuel from a station.

Does reliability suffer with such a high compression?

Thanks

I'm not sure how to do that in the uk, I use standard fuel from a station.

Does reliability suffer with such a high compression?

Thanks

What octane fuel do u have over there?

No issues with reliability mate.ive used hi comps for years and never had dramas

What octane fuel do u have over there?

No issues with reliability mate.ive used hi comps for years and never had dramas

To be honest I've never even noticed what fuel we have over here, most stations don't have a choice so I assumed it's all the same. I'll have to look in to it.

I don't race, I just go to practice tracks so reliability is priority over performance but

I think I'll give it a go if there's no issues with bumping the compression up.

Cheers