Sign in to follow this  

CRF230F - Gutless Wonder Girlie Bike

Fun on the old CRF230F.

Way back when when all it had was a bit of uncorking and Mike Coe jetting.  Donuts in second gear with a two-three shift at the exit.  And no, it was not muddy.  It was regular old grass but it was the crappy stock tire.  But it did have the Fox shock so it was doing its best to hook.

And yes, I win every single Donut Contest!  You ought to see me power slide that thing now with the cam and piston and Outlaw exhaust.

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 1

Pink fenders are available for the CRF230F.

And you could "Bedazzle" those also....

• Like 1

It just cracks me up when I read posts about how this bike has no power.  I always amaze fellow riders when I do simple antics like this and power slides.  I had one 450 guy argue with us (before my engine had a cam and piston) that we had done major engine work because HE KNOWS no stock CRF230 could EVER do the things we were doing with ours.  He was quite upset with us when we would not admit to all the work that was done.  And no, he could not lose us with his 450.

This is one of the reasons I love the stock forks and lack of exterior changes.  I do have Bruce's Suspension and Engines Only stickers on the number plate out of respect but that's it.  Most don't catch the Fox shock reservoir on the side either.  Looks like a stock CRF230 and Frank's Outlaw exhaust is still very quiet so it's hard to tell from a distance, especially from BEHIND!  I have given serious thought to painting the Outlaw system system black just to seal the deal.

I just love this little bike!!!

• Like 2

Like my riding partner said riding Wr450.I will only ride with you on trails,if you ride your 450. Because your slower then me.                                When you ride girl bike,I cant keep up.

• Like 1

What's the secret to the 230s ability to out run the bigger bikes? I am not an off-road guy and I don't have off-road riding buddies. When I ride off-road with my dirt set up I feel like I am doing OK but I can't compare. This bike is heavier than some 450's and it has less power, how can it be faster? Is it the low center of gravity?

I only had my 21/18 wheels for a month and trying to find people to ride with me off-road. 

It is a heavy bike but as Bruce Triplett always says "...it hides its weight very well...".  Maintaining speed is not just about sheer power.  It is about broad wide predictable confidence-inspiring and traction-generating power.  The CRF230 has a tiny chassis comparable to that of the venerable XR200.  The super-fast steering coupled with the short wheelbase and low CG allows the bike to go through slow short tight stuff with ease.

The engine allows you to get around without worrying too much about clutch work and gear selection.  If you make a mistake or have a bad setup the CRF230 just diesels through it.  I have done very long rides where I am so tired at the end I just ride the entire way back in third gear.  Of course there are a few spots where third won't work but it does for 95%.  And that was with the stock engine!

It just does everything very well once it is properly set up.  It is almost a perfect match of parts.  Makes most everything seem easy.

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 1

My 230 has no size markings just a Honda sticker on the shroud and crf on the seat cover. When I ride with new people they look confused then after the ride they usually ask is that a 250? Nope it's a 230. Then I usually get, it doesn't sound like a 230. Then I suggest they give her a spin and when they do they come back and say, it doesn't ride like a 230 either.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1448404063.524067.jpg

• Like 2

My 230 has no size markings just a Honda sticker on the shroud and crf on the seat cover. When I ride with new people they look confused then after the ride they usually ask is that a 250? Nope it's a 230. Then I usually get, it doesn't sound like a 230. Then I suggest they give her a spin and when they do they come back and say, it doesn't ride like a 230 either.📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1448404063.524067.jpg

It's not the size of the engine, it's how you use it.

It is a heavy bike but as Bruce Triplett always says "...it hides its weight very well...". Maintaining speed is not just about sheer power. It is about broad wide predictable confidence-inspiring and traction-generating power. The CRF230 is has a tiny chassis comparable to that of the venerable XR200. The super-fast steering coupled with the short wheelbase and low CG allows the bike to go through slow short tight stuff with ease.

The engine allows you to get around without worrying too much about clutch work and gear selection. If you make a mistake or have a bad setup the CRF230 just diesels through it. I have done very long rides where I am so tired at the end I just ride the entire way back in third gear. Of course there are a few spots where third won't work but it does for 95%. And that was with the stock engine!

It just does everything very well once it is properly set up. It is almost a perfect match of parts. Makes most everything seem easy.

Paul, you are a true wordsmith! +1

I could never attempted to say it any better than that.

IT should be a STICKY !!!!!

Which is why I love my SRX!  This is my good friend giving it a quick ride.  I really hate that I didn't get any sound and video when he was really on it hard. The guy riding it is a HD builder and raced a HD bike many years ago. He was very impressed and surprised by the old SRX. He said it was not what he was expecting at all.  I think he thought it was a bit of a toy and not as good as it is.

600cc single with light flywheel*, airbox delete, K&N pod filters on two 27mm carbs, DynoJet carb kit, SuperTrapp exhaust, tiny battery, and 27 pounds discarded.

Lots of torque in a very light small 350-pound package.  This bike makes everything seem so easy.  Sound familiar?

* Compared to most singles this size from the factory

Edited by VortecCPI

Sleeper 230f's rule !

Emphasis on "sleeper"...

Hopefully, one day I too will have a 230F sleeper.! 

• Like 1

Emphasis on "sleeper"...

Hopefully, one day I too will have a 230F sleeper.!

EXACTLY WHAT HE SAID.