Sign in to follow this  

Left side crankcase fix

Cracked the case on my 05 yz 125 today. It's a small cracked that can likely be welded (it's right in front of the front sprocket) it drips oil when running. I want to take it off and have it welded.

what all is involved in taking it apart and putting it back together? The engine was just completely rebuilt top and bottom end within the last 5 hours so I want to just fix this crack and throw new gaskets in, nothing else if I don't have to. I've done numerous auto repairs so I can do this I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Show us a picture!

The 125 has all the clutch on the right side so with the exception of the counter shaft seal there is no much that will be damaged by heat. he could drain oil remove motor from frame remove guard and counter sprocket. clean motor and grind a slight vee in the crack to expose the whole crack and have it TIG welded???

A properly welded crack would not bother me unless the chain mangled the whole case half,

How bad is it, pictures? How did you crack it, throw a chain? How much of a rush are you in? In some cases it can be effective to drain the oil, flip the bike around so crack is up, sand/clean the area, blast with brake cleaner and JB Weld. that has got me out of a lot of pinches and some temporary repairs turned into permanent. I know it's a little bit hillbilly-ish but just FYI

• Like 1

Show us a picture!

The 125 has all the clutch on the right side so with the exception of the counter shaft seal there is no much that will be damaged by heat. he could drain oil remove motor from frame remove guard and counter sprocket. clean motor and grind a slight vee in the crack to expose the whole crack and have it TIG welded???

A properly welded crack would not bother me unless the chain mangled the whole case half,

How bad is it, pictures? How did you crack it, throw a chain? How much of a rush are you in? In some cases it can be effective to drain the oil, flip the bike around so crack is up, sand/clean the area, blast with brake cleaner and JB Weld. that has got me out of a lot of pinches and some temporary repairs turned into permanent. I know it's a little bit hillbilly-ish but just FYI

the chain had too much slack in it, the guard wasn't on and this happened

IMG_1446.JPG

IMG_1447.JPG

When I put a hole in my case with the chain there was a rotating part of the  clutch inside the hole. I put a dab of grease on the rotating part so the jb weld did not stick to it. Worked perfectly!

• Like 2