Sign in to follow this  

02 gas gas 250 jetting kehin pwk

I'm running 182 main and a 42 pilot with A/S at one turn out. Not sure which needle (set at 2nd notch from the top) & slide I have, but believe they're oem. Running Bel Ray H1R at 50 to 1

I've been riding at 3000 to 5000 ' elevation in the NC mtns and rode Mich at the end of Oct , 1200 to 1300' elv. Temps ranging from 30's F to 60's F. Bike ran well in both locations

Mine's a '01 XC  200 with a fresh top end and a FMF Gnarly pipe. I believe it uses the same carb as your 250.

Have you isolated where you're running rich?  IE; if it's small throttle opening up to 1/8th throttle, then it probably the pilot jet, if it's middle throttle setting then it's probably the needle or clip location, & full throttle is probably the main jet.

I'd try to isolate the problem, then make just one small change a a time.

The Gas Gas riders forum has some good jetting tips too, if you can't figure it out.

Good luck

RB

Thanks my friend fouls plugs all the time and he rides it on the pipe too so I think it's pretty much rich all over

Thanks my friend fouls plugs all the time and he rides it on the pipe too so I think it's pretty much rich all over

If you're on the pipe and fouling plugs, then it's probably the main jet. Drop it down one size and try it. Make sure your float level is correct and there's no trash in the needle valve.

RB

The needle on the gasgas is wrong - oh, so wrong....

If you don't swap the needle to stop it from "pulling over" then you are doomed from the get go - no way out from there....

And when switching to a new, better needle - then you need to make sure you back down the idle and reset the idle mixture screw or you continue to be "doomed"...  The bad needle leads you into a bad place - don't let it "keep you there"....

You should have a richer pilot and a better needle when all is said and done.   if you want to have it fixed for you - send your carb to RB-Designs to have the carb mod done.  This eliminates a lack of sensitivity on the pilot circuit.     www.rb-designs.com

jeff

aka webmaster gasgasrider.org

Edited by oregon_rider

Well we aren't thay worried about it It's fine if it's a little rich we aren't looking for a perfect carb just a solution to not fouling 5 plugs a weekend

Well we aren't thay worried about it It's fine if it's a little rich we aren't looking for a perfect carb just a solution to not fouling 5 plugs a weekend

I'd use the KISS principle if I were you. (Keep it sweet and simple). You seem to be a little intimidated by digging into your carb.  Try this, just pull the top off the carb, remove the needle and move the clip up one notch and re-assemble. This will lean the bike out somewhat, from just above idle to just below full throttle.

Try it, can't hurt. If it doesn't help then put it back like it was.  If you do like it, then the next step will be to adjust the air screw. After warming the bike up completely, let it idle (if it will) and turn the A/S in slowly till it acts like it's going to die, then back it out slowly till it sounds like it's running OK. Stop turning the A/S . Take it out for a test ride.

Those two things will lean the carb out somewhat with out you having to lay out any cash or having to deal with changing jets (for now)

RB

I'd use the KISS principle if I were you. (Keep it sweet and simple). You seem to be a little intimidated by digging into your carb. Try this, just pull the top off the carb, remove the needle and move the clip up one notch and re-assemble. This will lean the bike out somewhat, from just above idle to just below full throttle.

Try it, can't hurt. If it doesn't help then put it back like it was. If you do like it, then the next step will be to adjust the air screw. After warming the bike up completely, let it idle (if it will) and turn the A/S in slowly till it acts like it's going to die, then back it out slowly till it sounds like it's running OK. Stop turning the A/S . Take it out for a test ride.

Those two things will lean the carb out somewhat with out you having to lay out any cash or having to deal with changing jets (for now)

RB

This isn't my bike I have a cr250 and I have got the jetting pretty close on it but u had a jet chart to use this is my friends bike that forgot his tt a count so I'm posting for him. He isn't that worried but we need it go run a little leaner so thanks for the tips we will use them when it comes time to tear into the carb and get it leaned out. Thanks for the advice

I need some help jetting a gas gas 250 and I'm running way too rich. Can any gas gas riders help me out with a jet chart? Any help appreciated

It would help to know what slide #, needle, main, and pilot jets are in there now.

Are you trying to jet the bike for this time of year, or for the other 3 seasons ?

I think it is both pilot and main we ride all sorts of terrain so we are on the pipe and mid throttle

mid throttle and "on the pipe" are the needle and main jet. 

Read about jetting here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/347305-is-your-two-stroke-running-rich-read-here/

Edited by shrubitup