Got in a wreck

Well, on thursday I ended up getting in a wreck on my 650l. This girl wasn't paying attention/on her phone or whatever pulled out in front of me and sent both me and my buddy over the handlebars. We both ended up fine and I only ended up with two staples in my leg so it's safe to say we ended up pretty damn lucky. Fortunately I have the whole incident on film from my helmet cam and have submitted it to the police to add onto the incident report. Yesterday I called her insurance and set up a claim because I'm sure she wasn't planning on doing it. Got everything set up and I should get a call monday to see what ends up happening.

What I'm worried though is that her insurance is going to:

A- Total my bike and not give me enough to replace it / cover medical bills.

and

B- Not even do anything about it at all.

From what I've looked at so far everything looks like it can be fixed. The clutch cover took the impact and shattered like a clay pot (Actually sounds like that in the video) all 11 or so bolts that hold the cover on are still there and it doesnt look like they took any damage. On the clutch plate that holds the clutch on? the one with the four bolts looks like it took some impact but I'm not sure if it's anything to worry about. You can see in the pictures. I'm going to attach some pictures so you guys can help me out and see what yall think. I know for sure i need a new header pipe and clutch cover but what about the other stuff? What should I look for? I am going to put a new clutch in there while it's apart because it was slipping some when the bike would heat up so i was actually planning on doing that this winter. But any input you guys can give on what i should do would help me out so much.

Thanks in advance.

Also i'm thinking that this isn't the first time this girl's had trouble driving due to the ridiculous bumper on it. Damn did that thing hurt.

IMG_5510.JPG

IMG_5511.JPG

IMG_5512.JPG

IMG_5513.JPG

IMG_0155.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG

These bikes are easy to "total" cause theyre worth so little. Cost of damage repair usually is more than the bikes value.

You can have the insurance company send someone that knows bikes go look at it. I did that. Dude listed each aftermarket part. Fmf pipe. Asv levers. Clarke tank. A chinese steering dampener. I got extra bux for that. I got 1694 for my totaled xr600. Damaged front forks. Front brakes. No lights or gauge. Seat cover.

I sold it. Found it on Craigslist. Boughtit back for 2g and fixed it and registered/insured it for a grand. So my bike cost me 3g s. But i had to have it back. If your bikes stock. And they pay you what its worth, sell it and buy a new one. If you have mods or a new motor. Fix it. Just have an educated guy do the inspection and get you new stock honda parts to fix it. Or give you the money so you could do it. But if it needs $500 to fix it then they should give you $500. To fix damage theyll pay for everything. For health stuff she probably had like $25000 coverage. Example. So you will get some money. But if your bills are more than that covers youd have to pay for it.

But if you want to keep the bike you need an educated bike guu to inspect it.

Good luck. Im glad youre ok. One for the books

Be warned that the insurance company will lead off with an offer that will, at best, be OK. They will want you to sign a statement that once you accept the check, they are done with you. Dont sign it! They make their money by low-balling you. You would be surprised what you can get out of an insurance company, if you stand your ground. Their client is a stupid, irresponsible  :censored: . Stupid should hurt, so make sure it hurt. If her insurance ceiling isn't enough to cover your medical bills, go after her personally. Talk to a personal injury lawyer who will do contingent fee work. They only get paid when you get paid. 

Possible bent/distorted clutch basket assembly from the impact,,,i`d make them pay for a complete assembly,,gasket,,time to flush dirt out of the engine.......

Spin the basket,,see if it wobbles..

You are lucky you didn`t lose a leg....

B

Very true!

A buddy was on his XR650L and the exact same thing happened.

He had to have 1/2 his foot removed.

Some skank on a cell phone ran a stop light.

We do insurance work pretty often at the shop where I work.  The insurance companies seem very fair and easy to work with.  The adjuster typically knows a little about bikes but relies heavily on the repair shop looking up the actual parts needed to do the repairs.  It is important that you find a thorough shop with good knowledge and that is also trustworthy to do the assessment.  I do a parts list for the required repairs and the adjuster uses software to get the industry cost of parts and to apply the labor for the work.  If other damaged items are found during the repair the adjuster will come back, verify the parts needed, and add the repairs to the claim. I've never had an issue doing these claim repairs.  

This is all done up to the limits of the claim or the cash value of the bike.  If the repairs exceed value then it is a total loss.  It can also be "totaled" if the state's rules dictate that it must be due to damage.  In SC if the neck of the frame is bent, or the frame is cracked, it is required to be a total loss and become a salvage bike with a salvage title.  A frame replacement can be done as well but it takes a very valuable bike to not be considered a total loss due to the price of the frame and the labor to do it.    

If the repairs are higher than the bike's value, the customer may either choose to keep the bike or turn it over the insurance company by signing the title over.  If the customer wants to keep the bike, a check for the bike's cash value minus the salvage value is written to the customer.  Either way the title will become a salvage title.

Edited by hollerhead

Of all the ways to crash on a bike , that is the one I dread the most . Getting a leg crushed between a cars bumper and the bike , you are lucky to have gotten your leg out of the way. I'd inspect the main cases very closely for signs of cracks. Any one of those bolts could have bent or pushed sideways , even a little bit, and that would crack the center case. It would definitely put the cost to repair above value and be totaled out. I'd see how to buy it back ,sometimes you can get it for maybe $100-$200 then and have a parts bike.

Of all the ways to crash on a bike , that is the one I dread the most . Getting a leg crushed between a cars bumper and the bike , you are lucky to have gotten your leg out of the way. I'd inspect the main cases very closely for signs of cracks. Any one of those bolts could have bent or pushed sideways , even a little bit, and that would crack the center case. It would definitely put the cost to repair above value and be totaled out. I'd see how to buy it back ,sometimes you can get it for maybe $100-$200 then and have a parts bike.

Yeah I was super lucky I wore my steel toes that day. It still baffles me how lucky we really were. I looked the best I would at the bolts and they looked good. Everything broke off pretty far away from them surprisingly. I'm just hoping they make it right. That's really all I'm asking for. It really sucks being off the horse for a reason you have no control over.

These bikes are easy to "total" cause theyre worth so little. Cost of damage repair usually is more than the bikes value.

You can have the insurance company send someone that knows bikes go look at it. I did that. Dude listed each aftermarket part. Fmf pipe. Asv levers. Clarke tank. A chinese steering dampener. I got extra bux for that. I got 1694 for my totaled xr600. Damaged front forks. Front brakes. No lights or gauge. Seat cover.

I sold it. Found it on Craigslist. Boughtit back for 2g and fixed it and registered/insured it for a grand. So my bike cost me 3g s. But i had to have it back. If your bikes stock. And they pay you what its worth, sell it and buy a new one. If you have mods or a new motor. Fix it. Just have an educated guy do the inspection and get you new stock honda parts to fix it. Or give you the money so you could do it. But if it needs $500 to fix it then they should give you $500. To fix damage theyll pay for everything. For health stuff she probably had like $25000 coverage. Example. So you will get some money. But if your bills are more than that covers youd have to pay for it.

But if you want to keep the bike you need an educated bike guu to inspect it.

Good luck. Im glad youre ok. One for the books

So if they decide to total it out, should I pull my new pro-circuit pipe off and throw the stock pipe back on? And sell the pipe I pull off?

Be warned that the insurance company will lead off with an offer that will, at best, be OK. They will want you to sign a statement that once you accept the check, they are done with you. Dont sign it! They make their money by low-balling you. You would be surprised what you can get out of an insurance company, if you stand your ground. Their client is a stupid, irresponsible  :censored: . Stupid should hurt, so make sure it hurt. If her insurance ceiling isn't enough to cover your medical bills, go after her personally. Talk to a personal injury lawyer who will do contingent fee work. They only get paid when you get paid. 

What do you mean stand my ground? I'm a college kid and have no clue what to do.

Remember ,they work for you . They can't tell you what parts to replace with (aka oem versus chinese) . They will try everything to tell you what to do and how much but you have the right to say otherwise. In a deer hit I had, they tried to pay only for single stage paint and aftermarket fender plus the place I was to have it repaired at. I know a good body shop that does things right, even though their estimate was higher, I told the Insurance co. that it was going there and it would be painted with the same base/clear paint system that came on the truck on an oem fender !  PERIOD !  They had to do it . Now each state is a little different and they may have paid for some laws lately(as in bought senators) to be able to screw people over more , but at that time they had to do it .

Edited by jjktmrider

Yeah I was super lucky I wore my steel toes that day. It still baffles me how lucky we really were. I looked the best I would at the bolts and they looked good. Everything broke off pretty far away from them surprisingly. I'm just hoping they make it right. That's really all I'm asking for. It really sucks being off the horse for a reason you have no control over.

So if they decide to total it out, should I pull my new pro-circuit pipe off and throw the stock pipe back on? And sell the pipe I pull off?

What do you mean stand my ground? I'm a college kid and have no clue what to do.

Take the muff off...

Unless someone has pictures of your bike at the accident showing it was on at the accident. I say do it. Theres nothing legal about it. But a way to make a couple hundred extra. Throw the stock pipe on cause thats what they give you...stock price. Thats why i said get a inspection by someone who knows a pro circuit pipe costs more/ worth more.

I say yes. Save your aftermarket pipe cause youll get more money that way. I did have my fmf noted as a part. So its possible.

Stock pipes worthless and unwanted.

Again just make sure no one knows what pipe it had. Having insurance fraud on your record is worse than making an extra hundred bux

Sorry man that bike is totaled. Look up bikes value at kbb.com then add up price of parts plus $80 an hour, or more, for a shop to put back together.

I've totalled a few bikes in my day and it sucks, never get back what you want. Bike's values drop a whole lot quicker than cars.

Insurance will give you a smaller amount and let you keep the bike and you can part it out a maybe break even, or take the whole amount and try to find another one.

On the good side your medical bills should be paid in full.

thats sad :( now this Jeep is going to burn ? :D ahhahaha

i will change con rod and piston... proboubly they get hit to...

and valves need your attention...

the best idea is just pull out engine and full rebuild or buy complitly new or other engine...

you can find nice second hand engines on ebay...

good luck with your rebuild...

Edited by tlenek12

Look into it.......if it is just the side cover and oil cap ect ($250) clutch complete ($250) and header ($200) do all that yourself.

If the engine internals are fine and its just the pressure plate on the clutch is dented (even better)............ all may not be lost.

Have a mechanic check it out before you make any quick insurance settlement

Let them total it and then see if you can buy the wreck. You should be able to make enough off of the deal to end up with a better bike in the end.... but you will have a salvage title which will reduce the value of the bike if you ever want to sell it. 

I totalled a Ducati Monster in 2003.  The insurance company paid me less than I thought it was worth, but I was unable to prove that it was worth more than that.  It was a few thousand.  I bought the remains back for $700 then parted it out making around $2100 for all of the parts.  Some people got good deals on those and I ended up with about what I thought it was worth overall.  It took some work to sell everything and ship it all off.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see what year yours is.  That makes a big difference in how much you'll get for it.  From the looks of the fuel tank, it's a late 90's bike.  You'll probably have a hard time proving to the insurance company that it's worth more than about $2000.  Start looking up CraigsList ads now as evidence of value.

If I were in your position, I would work with the insurance company to try to get the most money for it, then buy it back, hoping they don't ask too much for it.  Then I would fix it.

Good luck working through this.

• Like 1

With insurance time is money - if you settle too fast you leave money on the table. Since you are in college, it may be better to let them total this one and buy a replacement with funds. Depending on what is available "locally". Once you graduate and start your career then you can develop a fleet with your increased earning power - assuming you are not an Art History major. :D  (Click and Clack humor)

• Like 1

Take the muff off...

Unless someone has pictures of your bike at the accident showing it was on at the accident. I say do it. Theres nothing legal about it. But a way to make a couple hundred extra. Throw the stock pipe on cause thats what they give you...stock price. Thats why i said get a inspection by someone who knows a pro circuit pipe costs more/ worth more.

I say yes. Save your aftermarket pipe cause youll get more money that way. I did have my fmf noted as a part. So its possible.

Stock pipes worthless and unwanted.

Again just make sure no one knows what pipe it had. Having insurance fraud on your record is worse than making an extra hundred bux

well I know none of my pics have it in it along with the video but a police officer got pictures so I'm not going to risk it. I'll leave it on there. thanks for the idea though!

well I know none of my pics have it in it along with the video but a police officer got pictures so I'm not going to risk it. I'll leave it on there. thanks for the idea though!

I agree with your move. Not worth an extra $100-$200. Thats nothing. Gas money. Sell your stock pipe and make $100. You know? Handle it the way it is. Dont cause yourself any problems. Its already alot to deal with.

Any updates on your bike?

I agree with your move. Not worth an extra $100-$200. Thats nothing. Gas money. Sell your stock pipe and make $100. You know? Handle it the way it is. Dont cause yourself any problems. Its already alot to deal with.

Any updates on your bike?

nope. haven't received a call from her insurance yet. getting ready to call and pester them.