Sign in to follow this  

Bike wont start after installing new stator

So I'm a new user here but have lurked around on ThumperTalk for a while now. Awesome place!

Anyway, I recently just installed a new stator assembly since my electrical system wasn't charging my battery. On the last trip I went on my system completely died half way through and had to bump start my drz400s the rest of the way. Was able to make it home with no headlight and intermittent dash though. I narrowed it down to a bad stator phase (one only read like ~13 volts ac at idle) and so replaced it with a new electrosport stator assembly.

So now everything is replaced and my bike wont start... I can crank the engine over but I don't seem to be getting a spark. Using a multimeter I checked the resistance of the pickup coil and I'm only getting like 320ohms and ~2-2.2 volts while cranking the engine over (the manual I'm using says it needs to be at least 5v). I'm sure I didn't install it backwards or anything either as I've read elsewhere here.

I dont feel like pickup coils go bad that often and just wondering if anyone has heard anything like this happening before. I'm annoyed to say the least since I seem to have traded a bad stator for a bad pickup coil...

Thanks in advance!

Fairly common complaint with new replacement stators. Eletctosport I think has changed hands a few times, I don't know much about their products.

A common problem is the black and white wires are reversed.  Apparently polarity sensitive.  Try swapping the white and black wires in the connector.

I have heard of several instances were the Electrosport stator were bad from new ,many more that quit after a short period . I wouldn't be at all surprized if that is the issue.

In the DR650's there was issues with the pick-up coil wires needing to be reversed , not sure what brand. Possible the same thing here.

Edited by jjktmrider

I did notice that the blue and green wires were reversed, but that made no difference in the problem switching them around. The black and white wires were in the correct position though, unless you mean they are internally reversed?

Damn, I had no idea their reliability was in question... that's very disheartening

Edited by sharkbite86

A coil can be would to the left or right. It makes no difference in power but does make a difference in polarity.  Try revering the wires in the connector.  This is not unique to Electrosport.  Some people have success with $30 Ebay stators, some don't.  So far life expectancy of ebay stators is unknown. Electrosport should be better but who knows.  Electrosport advertises high output but the output is high only if you consider standard as high since it is the same as standard.

Well, I'll be damned! Just reversed the black and white wires on the connector to the computer and it fired right up!! What a thing though that both pairs of wires (green/blue and white/black) needed to be backwards for it to work...

Thanks so much guys! I never would have thought to look at that.

Edited by sharkbite86
  • Like 1

This occurs so often I have to assume there is no easy way to test for polarity.  Wind the coil, connect the leads and ship it out.  50/50 chance it is right.  it could be the wires are correct for some other application?????  I don't know about the green and blue wires. I just know the black and white wires make a difference.  If you feel like it, swap the green and blue wires back and see if it still runs.  My bet is it will.

Is the DRZ's stator wound in 2 "outputs" ? as in one side goes toward charging the battery , the other for running the ignition . The couple I've had to mess with were that way so 2 wires went to ignition and the others to the battery . That could be where the green and blue wires go so the correct orientation will be important also , but not whether it runs or not.

Edited by jjktmrider

Hi mate glad you got it sorted , I bought a new stator for a friends bike recently, same as you bike would not start with the new one fitted took me for ever to work it out. ( with the help of TT previous posts ) the blue & green were reversed in side the stator the arse hole on eBay refused to answer my emails , if I need a stator for my bike il get a Ricky's I hear good things about them

BKRider was the guy I got the stator from on eBay he's based in California, if it wasn't for TT I would have not been able to fix it & been left with a paper weight as BKRider refused to answer any of my emails

Edited by peter

The DRZ400 stator actually a 3 outputs if you include the pick up coil that mounts external to the flywheel.  All but 1 of the stator coils are for battery charge.  The remaining coil feeds crank position information the the CDI box.  The external coil fires the ignition.

Well I figured I'd experiment a bit and swapped the green and blue wires. The bike wouldn't run with them swapped either. So it looks like both pairs are pole dependent. 

However now my bike is extremely "clicky" sounding. Like it's either knocking or something is up with the cams? Ugh, I just wanna ride this thing! Lol

So I tipped the bike over (to preserve all the new oil i just put in it) and took the side cover off again. Turned out the pickup coil was rubbing up against the permanent magnet and making a god awful ticking/rattling noise. Pushed the coil as far back as it could go, which seemed like a trivial amount (like maybe 1mm max) and it's ok now!

There was a bit of damage to the pickup coil tip and see scratching on the magnet, but all seems well now. Going for a test ride now.

Again, thank you all!

• Like 2