Sign in to follow this  

FCR Carb defect?

I never had any luck in the Husky forum with this question, but hopefully there's somebody here that can assist me. I'm trying to resolve a cold start issue for a buddies '06 Husqvarna TC250. The bike has under 10 hours...maybe even 1/2 that so I suspect valves are good. The carb was cleaned and I installed a JD kit. The bike runs excellent, jetting appears spot on....but the bitch wont cold start. It's a one kicker warm and event Hot she'll fire right up with hot start activated assistance. The "enricher" does not seem to have any effect...ever. I Pull it on while on the gas and under load and it has NO effect.

The attached pics show a WR450F's enricher port with the knob activator removed (1st photo with my finger pointing). All of my Yamaha's have the brass noozle (jet?) inserted in the back middle of this enricher port. The Husky does not, (as seen in the second blurry photo (sorry)). The middle of the port where Yamah has their brass valve (jet), the husky appears to be incompletely drilled, or even filled with a JB weld type plug. Both Carbs also have a small pin size port that runs through the port from the carb throat passing through the port to the mid/upper slide area. I'm assuming the enricher picks up the fuel from the bowl (siphons). up through the brass valve on the Yamaha, but I don't see anyway the Husky's would work...what am I missing?

Anybody have a Husky model they can pop off the actuator and take a look at what you've got?
I appreciate your feed back!

WR450F Brass Noozle Port.jpg

Husky TC250 plugged port.jpg

Yes it looks like the choke circuit has been blocked off, but it is hard to see.

What size 'starter jet' (choke circuit) does it have ?

Have you verified it's clear?

What does the choke plunger look like ?

What about three twists of the throttle before starting ?

Edited by KRANNIE

Starter jet is a 72, but I don't have a small enough gauge wire to verify if it's clear. Also giving it a blast of carb cleaner (scold me, I know) but it shows no pass into the throat. That is where it should pass to correct ...the small port next to the needle?

The back of the enricher port is certainly blocked off, but by design? Sorry for the pic and thank you Krannie for your input!

The plunger looks and acts the same as the other 4 FCR Yamaha carbs I'm familiar with. Albeit Somewhat shorter. The three twists, the top dead center, just past and rocking the bike in gear have all been unsuccessful. It takes a roll to start cold.

I can snap you a pic of the starter if you'd like.

Sorry, I meant if you'd like a pic of the plunger, not starter.

A little history, this bike was always terrible to cold start according to the owner and why it was rarely ridden.

So I was able to identify the starter port has passage back to the top of the float bowl, or approximately an 1 1/2" up and exiting out the side (back into the bowl). I can't seem to identify where else it would go? seems futile for starter a circuit if that was all it accomplished....but hey, I'm a butcher by trade. I'm good at taking things apart, it's more of a challenge for me to put them back together ...at least without butcher twine Lol.

The first Pic shows the Starter circuit and the port up the shaft I'm able to identify as clear. The second is a better Pic of the enricher port (choke) with the closed port (dark circle in the middle). 

HUSKY STARTER PORT.jpg

HUSKY PLUGGED PORT.jpg

That's my thought also. I'd sure like to hear from a Husky owner and see what their's is like, I'll try and call some dealers this week. I do wonder if I'd be able to modify, drill it out and tap in the same size starter jet? But I have no idea if I'd hit a passage. All schematics I've looked at don't identify that brass noozle as a part or show a passage.

Well isn't that special. ..it's confirmed this Husky was a Friday build, or at least it's FCR was. It's a defect. Wonder if the new management team will get me a new carb body? Lol... Anybody have a 37mm body they'd like to sell?

Well isn't that special. ..it's confirmed this Husky was a Friday build, or at least it's FCR was. It's a defect. Wonder if the new management team will get me a new carb body? Lol... Anybody have a 37mm body they'd like to sell?

Really?  I would more likely think it as a PO mod.

Nope, the bike's been owned since new and rode no more than an hour or two a year by my friend that I'm wrestling with this starting issue for. I'm going to drop the carb on my drill press and see if I can strike vapor through the enricher to the starter jet circuit. I'm sure I'll be hitting eBay for another 37mm body to transfer jets, plugs and linkages to. It is bizarre and unfortunate he never tried to figure this out back in 2006!

I located a replacement carb from an 09 KX250F, not ideal as the stocker has a wider tapered stack. But with a quick scrub and jet, needle replacement the cold blooded bitch fires right up now....and runs great. The stock set up isn't very stable and flex had cracked both in and outlet rubber manifolds, my adapters to compensate for the bell stack doesn't give me a lot of confidence either. Anybody know of an adapter or wider stack that can be used on this carb to clean up this set up? It needs to grow the throat approximately 1/4" in diameter and extend it an 1 1/2".