Sign in to follow this  

Twins KX250's! Which one should I rebuild?

Which bike should I rebuild?  The extra crappy one?  Or the kinda crappy one?  I'm talking about a total frame up restoration, back to showroom condition...  

I'd say rebuild the first one you walk around - the one that needs the most, and keep riding the other as-is.

• Like 1

neither ? 

they're both in very good condition mechanically, so ride them. 

i'd much rather see duct tape holding things together and the owner RIDING their bike instead of the bike pristine and not allowed near rocks/mud/FUN on the trail. or even worse, not ridden until that next piece of bling comes in. :(

ride em ! 

Those are 1990 models. How did you all miss that??

Ride one, work on the other.

In that case I change my mind. LOL!

Those are 1990 models. How did you all miss that??

Ride one, work on the other.

I'm very impressed!  I misspoke, they are in fact 1990 each.  Not sure how I got 1992 on the brain.  Just curious, what was the giveaway?  

Also only the 90 and 91 had bolt on shock mounts and the 91 had blue forks so yours are 90s. The 90 was the first perimeter frame and had a very good running motor.

Ed

• Like 1

Besides the fact they are 90's, they are supposed to have Keihin carbs.  Someone put the Mikuni on there.

Your main issues will be fork spring options and finding replacement powervalve parts.  Those have 41mm forks, only option is custom wound.  You can run 94-95 forks for the same "look" but you have more tuning options.

• Like 1

Besides the fact they are 90's, they are supposed to have Keihin carbs.  Someone put the Mikuni on there.

Your main issues will be fork spring options and finding replacement powervalve parts.  Those have 41mm forks, only option is custom wound.  You can run 94-95 forks for the same "look" but you have more tuning options.

Thanks for the info...I'm hoping that I don't need any aftermarket springs as I weigh 180lbs and am very much your "average" rider.  I suppose they could be worn out, but...