Sign in to follow this  

Thinking about a TE 300, help me decide.

So I'm ether getting a Beta 300 RR or a TE 300. The upsides to the Beta are its designed better, said to have a better engine with better low end torque and more tunable (power valve adjusting is easier and adjusts for more of the rev range) shorter seat height (im 6'2" but ride technical stuff and shorter = better there) FMF exaust stock, oil injected, very cheap replacement parts the list goes on.

The downsides to the Beta are dealer representation, specifically in my state. I will have to drive 2 hours to another state to buy a Beta and parts are pretty much only available through their website, though they are way cheaper and had very quickly through their site. Other downside is aftermarket parts, though you really don't need anything aftermarket for the Beta as they come stock with most of the stuff you'd want still kind of a downer.

Generally the 300 RR wins in my book, and if there was a dealer in my state it would probably be a done deal, however there is a lot more support for KTM / Husky all around and just about any power sports store is going to have parts etc. I'll probably be able to just walk into a store and buy one off the floor somewhere as apposed to having to order it and deal with all of that.

I know Husky is KTM and the only reason I'm considering Husky over KTM is simply because I hate orange, the husky is a much better looking bike.

I know the husky (just like the ktm) will have starter issues (of course minimized by preemptive and preventative measures) but otherwise should be a solid bike (like the KTM).

I guess my biggest question is are there any other particular issues that are known about the TE 300's? (other than the garbage KTM starter) Also are most aftermarket things made for KTM pretty much going to fit the Husky? Like skid plates etc.

Edited by gr4vitas
  • Like 2

Hey bud, had the same dilemma. Moved from '14 Te 300 to '15 beta 300 rr factory racing about 5 months back. Husky"s a solid machine and no major issues other than the obvious problem! Beta is a sharper handling more nimble package with better power delivery. Depending one your application the better forks in the racing may be worth considering. My dialed zokes are more confidence inspiring in both faster and tech than the 4cs or standard beta Sachs.

Hey bud, had the same dilemma. Moved from '14 Te 300 to '15 beta 300 rr factory racing about 5 months back. Husky"s a solid machine and no major issues other than the obvious problem! Beta is a sharper handling more nimble package with better power delivery. Depending one your application the better forks in the racing may be worth considering. My dialed zokes are more confidence inspiring in both faster and tech than the 4cs or standard beta Sachs.

Thanks for the advice, thats the way I was leaning anyway my only biggest concern is just support / parts etc for the beta. If I have a unique problem there's just not a lot of people out there with them and so getting help with issues I can see being a bit challenging at times. For example when I have an issue with my WR450 I can usually find a solution on youtube in about 5 minutes with a detailed explanation on how to fix it etc. Anyway I think the answer is the Beta. I'm not in a position to buy just yet, waiting for a guy to come pick up my bike next week so I'll give my self that week to do more research.

Sounds like you have your mind made up. I too was looking at the Beta but bought a new TE 300 a few weeks ago, finally got it out today for the first real ride. Love it! I went with it because of what you stated "support / parts etc " aanndd I don't like orange either. It is my understanding that the starters have been improved since 2014 or so. At least it will be easier to change than my CRF 450X was...

Edited by jimmy88

Listening to your posts, it's obvious what you need to do: follow your heart. Get the Beta.

Dealer support really isn't that big a deal. Most of what we buy today is on-line.

The bigger issue is probably lack of aftermarket accessories.

As for mechanical issues: it's a two stroke. They're all pretty similar. You may not find a YouTube video specifically of your bike, but you'll find something close. 

You're obviously emotionally invested in the Beta. 

That said, the heart is a fool. My TE 300 is my soul mate.

But when they ask if anyone would like to speak now or forever hold their peace, I will say nothing. 

Edited by portlandtwostroke
  • Like 1

Just my 2 Cents but consider which bike will be easy to sell when the honeymoon is over.....where I live, 300's - white or orange bring top money....not so much with Beta. Beta folks buy new - not used...

I've had the chance to ride both bikes back to back. The beta was beautiful, real eye candy but I couldn't get off it fast enough and decided on the husky. The husky felt like home to me and I loved it. The beta felt very stiff and unstable for me. Husky hands down

• Like 1

I was looking at the Ktm/Husky and the Beta earlier this year. Road some Ktm's (Idk anyone with a husky 300) and didn't like the 4cs forks on the xc's and didn't like the PDS on the xcw's. Parts support isn't a big deal, as I call up my dealer and the part ends up on my doorstep 2 days later. 

• Like 1

Just in case you haven't seen this yet. 

Beta vs KTM EXC.

This keeps getting posted with incorrect tank size info. The Beta's tank is 2.5 gal (9.5L), which was exactly the same as the KTM until 2016. KTMs site is stating the tank size as 10L, which is 2.64 gal. Yes, the Beta tank looks smaller in that vid, but I can attest that it's not as I ride with a 14 300XCW from time to time.

I've had the chance to ride both bikes back to back. The beta was beautiful, real eye candy but I couldn't get off it fast enough and decided on the husky. The husky felt like home to me and I loved it. The beta felt very stiff and unstable for me. Husky hands down

GH, sounds like you rode a Racing edition with the red Zokes? Your comment of very stiff and unstable would be spot on. I sent mine off to Les at LT Racing and they are worlds better now. If I had to pick a new scoot today I would have a very hard time deciding. The Husky is sweet and the comments on the forks say they went in a good direction. Alas, I have a couple more years before I have to fret over it.

I know both bike are sweet. Although they are basically the same they feel way different. Same goes for the Ktm 300. Have had a chance to ride quite a few and none of them have felt as comfortable as the TE. I love Yamaha's and how they feel so I kinda use them as my base line. I have a yz250 and 450f and the te300 I have fits right in with those two. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1451949986.829787.jpg

2015+ e-start KTMs/Huskys don't have a e-start problem.  I get dead engine holeshots with e-start on my 15' 300XC at least 1 of 2 motos per race day in my series most days.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, thats the way I was leaning anyway my only biggest concern is just support / parts etc for the beta. If I have a unique problem there's just not a lot of people out there with them and so getting help with issues I can see being a bit challenging at times. For example when I have an issue with my WR450 I can usually find a solution on youtube in about 5 minutes with a detailed explanation on how to fix it etc. Anyway I think the answer is the Beta. I'm not in a position to buy just yet, waiting for a guy to come pick up my bike next week so I'll give my self that week to do more research.

GR4, what did you end up with? If you haven't bought a new bike yet, forget the exotics. They cost a ton to maintain and no aftermarkets. Look at Cody Webb. He was riding Beta for a few years and went to KTM. Is there a reason? One big reason, there is no resale on Betas. Trust me, I had an exotic bike for a few years and ended up giving it away. I know it was Gas Gas and not a Beta but I learned my lesson. Buy a TE, put a ton of awesome aftermarket parts on it, and have Stilwell build the suspension. I love my 300 and will never go back to an exotic. I buy all my parts online; however, go to the local KTM dealer for the small parts. They end up ordering online which prevents me paying shipping. My profile pic really doesn't show all the COTS bolt ons that are available. Nothing has broke on its own in the year+ I owned the bike. And really, the bike is solid. One more thing, don't listen to anyone that tells you to buy a Beta. 

• Like 1

GR4, what did you end up with? If you haven't bought a new bike yet, forget the exotics. They cost a ton to maintain and no aftermarkets. Look at Cody Webb. He was riding Beta for a few years and went to KTM. Is there a reason? One big reason, there is no resale on Betas. Trust me, I had an exotic bike for a few years and ended up giving it away. I know it was Gas Gas and not a Beta but I learned my lesson. Buy a TE, put a ton of awesome aftermarket parts on it, and have Stilwell build the suspension. I love my 300 and will never go back to an exotic. I buy all my parts online; however, go to the local KTM dealer for the small parts. They end up ordering online which prevents me paying shipping. My profile pic really doesn't show all the COTS bolt ons that are available. Nothing has broke on its own in the year+ I owned the bike. And really, the bike is solid. One more thing, don't listen to anyone that tells you to buy a Beta. 

Meh, resale isn't a big problem on the newer Beta's. I bought mine new because I thought people wanted too much for their's. The resale on a GasGas is nothing like a Beta. GasGas doesn't exactly have the best rep, and in the past, has been on a shaky financial footing. As far as Cody Webb... it doesn't take a genius to see that a top level pro is going to go where the money is. Ktm/husky buy all the biggest names, it's just how it is.

Mine's been pretty reliable, no worse than any other bike I've owned. In fact, I can get more hours on the common wear items than I do with my Japanese bike. It's right in line with my 300xc. I can get most of the maintenance items on Rocky like pistons, bearings, etc. Anything else is just a phone call away to my dealer and then it shows up on my doorstep in a couple of days, it beats having for me to drive into the city like I would any other dealer.

As far as aftermarket, I don't know what more I could need. Pipes, skid plates, guards, triple clamps, large tanks, billet farkles, what's missing? 

I also struggled between the husky te300 and beta 300rr i just last month picked up my new 2016 300rr from Doms here in maine it was only after spending many nights researching both bikes that i went with beta and had previously been very set on husky but the opinions of the owners on this site and otherz is what really sold me on beta. We're still in middle of winter here in maine but ive been enjoying it so far it takes a little adjusting too coming off my 09 yamaha yz250f and my last 2t was 87 can-am 200 but it feels very capable and look forward to more riding without snow to get better feel but this was the first bike ive ever bought brand new

Ahh, maybe I just have a bad taste in my mouth after owning an exotic. Probably so. I did see the Betas went away from the Marzocchi forks in exchange for Sachs. Good choice. Never liked pedal bike forks on a dirt bike. I had the same dilemma as you when I was trying to decide whether to purchase a Beta or Husky. I walked out spending $8000 grand and some tax for a great bike. I think I made the right choice, you seem to be happy with yours. All the same, we all love to ride. Sure it is nice being a little different out there, that is why I tried the Gas Gas back in '12. Not sure how much money is in it for the Endurocross guys, but I'm guessing they do it more for the love of the sport rather than the money - which is not great I'm sure. Look at the TKO, a 10,000 dollar purse for that hell, it should be more like 100,000k. Good luck with the Beta.